Register now to get rid of these ads!

Devin Bodied Cars---any Photos Out There?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MCINK, Feb 8, 2008.

1. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

MY "FORMER" BOSS HAD THIS DEVIN BODIED 56 OR 57 CORVETTE.
    HE VINTAGE ROAD RACED IT AT BRAINERD AND BLACKHAWK.

HAVENT SEEN MANY OF THEM ANYWHERE

ANYONE HAVE PHOTOS OF SUCH AN ANIMAL?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Ak Millers Devin.

Olds powered...

Attached Files:

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

Mooneyes Devin.

Attached Files:

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

Devin Ferrari.

Attached Files:

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

Some more pics...

Attached Files:

6. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

7. jim zag

jim zag

Those Devin bodied race cars represent the best period in sports car racing. Back then you could actually compete with a homebuilt hot rod. Then came Jim Hall and The CHAPPARALL and all that WING stuff and TECHNOLOGY. They call it PROGRESS! Wish I could buy an old devin body and build a modern day street version and see how many people would actually know what it is! THEY WERE COOL!

8. awsome pics yall..

9. 31whitey

31whitey

I got a DEVIN body stashed away

was my uncles

and

this little plastic body called ELVA

10. noboD

noboD

Jim Zag, get a copy of the book "Chevrolet Racing" by Paul Van Vulcanburg sp. There was a Devin Bodied car that ran PHA, PA. Hillclimb Assoc., back in the 60's and 70's. It was called the Blue Goose, Corvette powered. I think there's pics on PHA site.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll dig through my stack of disks and find the photos of the one I had. Devin bodies look good, but not on a shortened '50 Ford chassis with a Flathead sticking out of the hood.

12. 22 track

22 track

13. Professor Fate

Professor Fate
    from the bay

there was one for sale here in the bay a few months ago. fairly reasonable priced for a race car with "history". This one had TR-2 running gear.

most of them look pretty darn cool. every once in a while the bodies pop up for sale. wouldn't mind building one as a tube frame special like so many of the later 50's specials.

hmmm...and I know where there is this set of Borriani's just like metalshapes pictures.

14. THERE IS A GUY ON THE LOS ANGELES CRAIGS LIST THAT HAS A, WHAT LOOKS TO BE FRESH DEVIN BODY.. GO TO CRAIGSLIST LOS ANGELES UNDER CARS AND TRUCKS PUT DEVIN IN THE SEARCH AND IT WILL POP UP.. IT HAS BEEN ON THERE FOR QUITE A WHILE NOW.. IF YOU CANT FIND IT.. THE GUYS PHONE NUMBER IS.. (323) 496-5757 HE DIDN'T GIVE HIS NAME

15. JimSibley

JimSibley

I did an elva once. Any chance of hetting a pic of yours?

16. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

The Devins that were probably the most well known were Joe Lunati's "Trouble Maker" drag car, Ak Miller's 289 and 427 Ford Pikes Peak cars, and Dean Moon's "Moon Beam" bonneville/drag race car. Richard Boone, who starred as Palladin, in "Have Gun Will Travel" had one, also.

I have personally had three bodies, all the "kit version" of the Corvette powered SS model.

I have assisted in 4 projects....

A build up of an "SS" body. We built the chassis, with early Vette engine and trans, all Jag suspension, and duplicated the hinges, latches, and top bows.

The first production "C" model, with Corvair power (not completed yet)

I saved enough to piece together an SS body. When I win that damned lottery, I'll build myself the ultimate "Chevy Cobra"! :)~

The last production "C" model, owned by a former Bill Devin engine supplier. Now completed.

And finished construction on a car started in '58 by Indy legend Roger McCluskey. It was based on the largest "kit" body, then stretched.

Here is the "SS".

Attached Files:

17. JamesG

JamesG

When I was living out in Denver, about thirteen years ago, there was a guy that had one there and would bring it to all of the local shows and cruise nights. It was bright yellow with a radical small block Chevy in it that would suck you o the seats. It sorta had a nose up stance to it.

18. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

I don't have any "C" model pictures in the computer, but they looked like the VW powered "D", with no grill opening, and a "boat like" front body shape.

Here is the Roger McCluskey car, with gas welded chrome-moly tube chassis, '58 Vette motor, Fish brand "floatless" single barrels, and a Dynaflow trans.

Attached Files:

19. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

Here is a little trivia.

Bill Devin was a race driver for the Ferarri factory team.

He was one of the first to enter the fiberglass body business, and sold about 2 dozen different sized versions. Many were made using modular molds, so they could be made bigger or smaller.

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

I heard that the first mold was taken of a Stanguelini.
    A Topolino based Sports Racer.

Attached Files:

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

Here are a couple of Stanguellini pics.

it looks like it might be based on the (larger) 1100...

Attached Files:

22. Here's mine: 1958 Echidna, the third of three built in Hibbing, MN. 56 Chevy passenger car frame, shortened and narrowed, Chevy front suspension, in back P Case posi with coil overs, watts link, 4 wheel drum brakes, SBC with Rochester fuel injection.

Attached Files:

23. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

The original Devin body was pulled of an Ermini, not a Stanguellini. In fact, the nº 16 car that Metalshapes posted a picture of looks like an Ermini (see the "E" inside the grill.)
    It was rumored that the Ermini's body was itself a copy, off of the Ferrari (either 166 or 212 if I recall correctly) that Dino Ferrari designed a new body for...that would be the prototype Monza-style body.

Cris

24. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thanks for the extra Info.

I've heard it claimed it was, and also that it wasn't.

Now we know what it really was..

Very cool...:)

25. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Cool photos you posted, by the way. You always seem to dig out some good stuff.
    I think I can recognize most of the cars...
    The first two look like Mille Miglia shots, at least the numbering style on the cars would lead one to believe that.
    The third shot...is that the Tourist Trophy? 1955 or 1956?
    Fourth photo is one of the cars owned by the Stanguellini family or museum or foundation or something or other.
    Fifth shot, MM retro, 1100, Nipponese-owned.

I love these types of threads.

Cris

26. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Great pics and excellent info! Thanks, BOBBY FORD

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

28. DrJ

DrJ

29. McKee

McKee

Devin bodied Triumph TR3 at Meadowbrook in 2006.

Attached Files:

30. I had the pleasure of watching this car race at SIR her in WA last year. Talked to the owner of the car for a bit. Not only is the body insanely beautiful, but the car just sounds ungodly good. Small-block with Hilborn injection...and it has an exhaust pipe for each cylinder. I heard it on the track, and it had the most unique sound...beautiful.