Register now to get rid of these ads!

What does a burned exhaust valve look like?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I know you can read spark plugs. Wondering if there's a similar technique for valves?

Popped the heads on my flathead and noticed the exhaust valve in #1 looked grey. Basically a sort of "fogged" greyish white around the outside of the valve. I've heard before how the no. 1 cylinder sometimes runs lean and in turn gets hot, causes problems with soft header bolts, etc.

It doesn't really look like it's in bad shape - but definitiely looks different than the other fifteen.

2. squirrel

squirrel

A burned valve has a notch or flat spot at the face (the part that contacts the seat), so it does not contact the seat at the burned part.

3. Any degradation or pitting of the seat area?

4. squirrel

squirrel

heres one I found with google image search....

[​IMG]

5. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

The valves in my Alfa Romeo motor actually turned black-they had a charred appearance and one was cracked with a chunk missing. Yeah they looked like the picture.

I did see a set of burnt flathead valves once-similar appearance and the edges were crumbled away. A burned valve will eventually lose big chunks so if you have any doubt replace it.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Sounds like no 1 is running properly, and the other 7 cylinders are running a tad rich.

Normally the exhaust valves will be white, grey, or tan, if the fuel mixture is right and the engine isn't burning a lot of oil.

7. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Here's a really bad one out of a flathead. :)

[​IMG]

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I can live with this explanation. The rest of the cylinders did have a pretty heavy carbon buildup. I'll try to get pictures later.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also might just have lots of pitting on seat without any big area gone.