Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sun Tach Transmitter (Batteries?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hyfire, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Hyfire

Hyfire

Hello guys,

My car has a Sun Tack from 1958. I was told there may be some kind of battery inside. Does this sound right?

Is there anything inside this box that needs service after sitting a long time?

Also, does the tach need any lubrication?

Thanks for the help!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

There is two batteries innside, but the problem is that they are discontinued. If i remember right, they are connected in serial.
    Each battery is rated 1.35Volts. Combined it's 2,7volts.
    I made a external powersupply to give exact that power.

When opened up, you should also messure the capasitors.

Taildragger&fenderless

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

There are two 1.3 volt mercury cells inside. If they are still there and have been leaking you have a problem. If not then you can use 1.5 V AA alkaline batteries. It will make the tach read about 10% high. There is a company that puts new guts in the old senders that makes the tach read right and its all solid state and runs off of 12V so no batteries. THey also can put new guts in the meter head itself so the sender isn't needed. Both are $200 or so. You can check the meter with a 1.5V battery to see if its good. Just connect a 1.5v battery to the + and - terminals on the back of the meter. No lube required on the meter.

4. Yes,there is batteries inside..called a "Mercury Battery"..no longer available..
    The transmitter box you have shown needs to be matching to your number of cyl and voltage.. Williamsons in Chester Ark.does a fantistic job on bringing these back to working order

5. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Would make a great little Tech Thread:)

6. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

The arkansas guy does super work

7. 39 Ford

39 Ford

There is a ton of information here, please just search.

8. Hyfire

Hyfire

Thanks guys....

I will crack it open and see what I've got.

9. Kramer

Kramer

10. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Just opened my Sun Football tach sending unit expecting the worst! Well someone did me a solid they removed the batteries. Looks good inside I'll check it out with the info above!

11. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Go to Ebay. type in search engine. Battery 1.35 volt.. Five hits come up for camera batteries. $4.50 each or two for $12.95 free shipping..

This thread got me thinking about the old Sun tachs, stored somewhere, in the barn.. Have to see if they are salvagable. Make a good setup for my 59 Studebaker gasser build.

I was going to try to use a new Autometer tach from the sixties. I have two. One has a cracked face, short sweep with 8 cyl sender on rear. Other is a 270 sweep, but has sender for mag. I called Autometer and tech was no help. No compatible senders or repair parts.

12. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Those batteries are the wrong shape. They need to look like AAs