Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cove Kustoms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 00 MACK, Aug 31, 2005.

1. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Lets do a thread on Les Cove Auto Body in Hillside N.J. Les built some Kick ass cars like the Fabian Continental 48 Chevy,Don Antonellis 53 Merc,a chopped and sectioned 51 Merc now restored by Manny Bastio of Clark N.J.

2. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

The Don Antonelli Merc...

[​IMG]

3. 00 MACK

00 MACK

The Frenz rules. He should move here and and head a revolution to take over the KKOA . Ill soon email some pics of Bastios 51 Merc.

4. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I used to have pics of Antonellis Merc after he totalled it.

5. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

YES !!! And the first thing I'll do is to ban those pink shirts...ahh,shit,those are the West Coast Customs...

Let'em come.

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Don't forget the "Fordillac" the Jimmy Nolan owned, with the 39 Buick grill, and filled trunk lid, and Donn Lowe restored for Craighton _____. Was at the Leadsled in Holland, MI.
    I worked with Jerry Cove, the grandson of the founder, and son of the last great Cove. He worked at Paszik's for a short time, didnt' have any talent for the sort of work that made his grandfather famous.
    The son, Les Jr., I believe, also was into custom work, though not as proficient as his dad. You could see the transition of the grandfather's work on Manny's Merc, to the son's. Big drop in quality, though it was still pretty good work. Jr. also had chopped a first gen Camaro, and a 60's GTO in his time.
    There was also a 52-3 Ford running around for a while with the same rolled door tops as Manny's Merc, seemed as if Cove could have built that. The shop is still in the same location, same name, but new management. Do they even know how famous the shop was, way back when????????

7. Rikster

Rikster

This one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Yep.

9. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Yep. How about Marv Silverstiens car?

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Wow, Mark, I pass that shop all the time and I didn't really know much about it. Don Antonelli was the name of my little league coach. Son perhaps? If so think the son has a chiropractic practice on Morris ave here in town. Worthless info, but kin of the Merc.

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Yes, that's the car...but it being from Philly makes me wonder if Cove even built it??????
    Chris, Don Antonelli ran a tile and carpet business, and was still doing it, out of Elizabeth, up to a few years ago. Perhaps a son? Don would be in his 60's now.
    Yo, Anthony, you going to Lead East, or what? Need my 51 truck lettered, if the POS makes it there!

12. Any more pix of this? Awesome car

13. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yeah Don (if Jr) would probably be mid to late 30s now.

14. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I dont think the 39 was done by Cove. Antonellis car was in Rodding and Restyling before and after the chop.

15. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

fuck it, I vote that you take them BOTH over!

16. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Lost Angel posted these once on here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay,second on the agenda,no more Doo-Wop in Paso.

17. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Hey Frenz ,How could you say something bad about doowop when posting a pic of a sleazy ass east coast car like that. Antonelli was probably listening to ''I was wrong " by the Charmers on the Timely record label when that pic was taken!!!

18. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Yeah,Antonelli probably did so but I don't...I wanna hear some bad-to-the-bone 50's Rockabilly and some boppin' Blues...now seriously,let's see some pics of the cars !

19. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Okay,I will let Mr. 00MACK do the talking...that's one mean machine.I like it.Never saw a sectioned and hardtopped 4-door Merc before...cool !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first pic makes me wanna wipe off my monitor...

20. 00 MACK

00 MACK

21. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

More out of 00MACK's treasure chest...

[​IMG]

You have to show us more...

22. 00 MACK

00 MACK

This 56 88 was done by Cove for a chick in Maryland named Marlene Jacobs and was featured on the very first issue of Customs Illustrated.

23. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Frenz=good taste in customs, bad taste in music.
    DooWop rules!
    I've got some shots of the Fabian Continental. I was planning to do a simpler rendition of it's scallops on my Chevy. Try to digem up this weekend.
    High School Confidential meets Fabian Continental
    East meets West style.

\Guess you're doing Cook's Party, Anthony. That sucks, you're almost as much a part of that scene as Terry, The Fonze, the Golden Gup, and Chris!

24. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

chopolds,I said no more Doo Wop in Paso,not no more Doo Wop at all... please find those pics ! Thanks.

25. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If there's no DooWop in Paso.......
    I AIN'T GOIN!

Not that I've been there at all.

I hear Axle is a big fan.

26. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

More pics of Manny Bastio's chopped and sectioned 4-door Full Kustom Merc...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

best part is those pics just above that the frenz posted represent the 2nd time that garage door has been opened in a long time the 1st time was to show me the car hahahahaahaha

now i think im gonna cry

28. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I think that Manny's merc may be a rare case where the section actually adds to the mystique of the car. it stays in proportion, and the chop is just the right amount. I also like the fact that it doesn't hide that it's a 4 door. It is what it is, and it's a beauty.

Also, if anyone cares, notice the Road Lords plaque. Bob Nitti, the co-owner/co-restorer of Barris's Aztek, is a long time friend of Manny's and also a club member if I'm not mistaken. Back me up on this 00Mack

29. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You're right, Joe, but Bob Nitti was also one of the FOUNDING members of the Kustom Knights. So was Barry Mazza, co-owner of the Aztec, builder of the Bettencourt copy, and restorer of the Barris 40 Buick. One of the driving forces behind the second most important custom car club in NJ. (The Renegades are #1!!!!!!!!!)
    You can do a big write up on all the great cars in the Kustom Knights. Lots of stuff to pick from there!
    As for the Road Lords, how 'bout Rebel John!
    A legend!
    Almost as famous, and great as the legendary Fonzie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

that sectioned blue 4 door merc is on ebay right now