Register now to get rid of these ads!

The best drivers on the road...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 15, 2012.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Technology is great. It's just that some people chose to be it's slave.

2. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

good point, he braggs about his gamming skills to me all the time,lol.
    me: find a job today
    him: looked on the computer there are none.......

3. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

almighty computers.

4. striper

striper

Jive Bomber. All so true. The thing you said about being noticed...I'd prefer not to be sometimes. I was on a freeway last summer and this guy in a rice burning commuter car comes up next to me all excited, waving, thumbs up etc. I glanced over and acknowledged him. I never look for too long or I'm into the next lane due to my bias plys. Next thing I glance over and he has a camera, both hands off the wheel, focussing through the view finder, I am guessing steering with his knees. I just planted it and got the hell away from this doodle.

5. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

6. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Yup nothing like commuting in So. Cal.,sheeple in climate controlled cages on wheels everywhere you go.

I drove old iron every single day in helL.A. traffic for over 10 years. After having 3 different people run into me I decided to call it quits as far as commuting with something HAMB worthy....Too much risk of getting it totaled by some S.U.V. or lifted diesel truck (that usually never see any justifiable use).

7. Ruggie

Ruggie

Mate well said i have thought the same thing for years while cruzin in my old jalopy's.Most see cars as a tool to get from a to b.

8. austinhunt

austinhunt

Come to Fairbanks Alaska. Since the ground is frozen for 6 months the bad drivers seldom last long. I know a few girls here that can give most guys a run for their money.

One day last year I was one of 3 cars i saw driving in town... along with about a hundred in the ditch.... In a mustang(yes i know) none the less.

This year we plowed a track on a pond (frozen) and have some friendly competition and so far my plastic bumper hasnt been torn off.

Driving is truly fun here.

This guy tried to follow my girlfriend while I was teaching her to "drift" otherwise know as driving here.... he hit the pole and made my girl think she was hot shit hahaha
    10-18-07_1323.jpg

This was a skating rink that i took my car on as a bet. No different than the roads but smaller.
    12-13-08_2345.jpg

The day it rained while the ground was well below zero
    WP_000005.jpg

9. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

fairbanks ak? get out of there!

10. Great observation Jay. Sadly all of the things you point out happen everywhere. Even in NYC people feel the need to text and walk. These things truly frustrate me as I wonder if a: those folk are conscientious at all to others, and b: if they realize what they are missing. There isnt a day that goes by that I don't see something interesting on my way to work.

Even in the NE I see guys in muscle cars in December, English sports car drivers are only put out if they don't have a roof (except Jag guys for some reason, I used my E-type all the time when I could :D).

People think they need to be connected, so they forget there is a world out there.

11. sololobo

sololobo

Scott 351, what a sad tale of a tech slave 18 yr old. This is more common that we realize, thank god for the gov. push for kids to play and do physical exercise 1 hour a day. And don't think texting and driving is limited to teen girls, I see it with every walk of life every day on the road. And adopting a saying I use daily (stolen from a H.A.M.B. er on here) "DON'T TEXT ME BRO". And sorry I can't dig facebook either, old grouchy bastard ain't I!! ~sololobo~

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Good writeup Jay.
    I love driving, it's the traffic I dislike.

13. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Most of you people are old enough to remember the Disney prime time evening television show from the late 50's. I remember one segment that detailed cars from the future, fucking things looked like George Jetsons ride, drove it's self on automated highways and had radar and sonar so you could cruise @ 80 in dense fog, WOW 80. The highways were a take off of the GM Futurama concepts w/truck lanes and express lanes, sure wish they did it that way every time I get stuck behind a semi w/ a 68 mph governor trying to pass another one going 67. Face it geezers, driving ain't cool to main stream white people any more, most familys have mini-vans w/fold down tv screens wife driving, man texting, kids w/head phones texting, we are old and irrelevant and the sooner we die off the better it will be for the planet and the children, I mean we wouldn't want them to have to breath our evil exhaust any longer than necessary. There is a reason I have a stash of 80's GM 5.7 diesel cars, love that smoke, gettin' my licks in while I can.

14. flamingokid

flamingokid

That's why I like deserted old secondary highways better.I like solitude,being at one with my car,and not having to deal with farksticks that have no concept of basic road manners or driving skills.

15. The upside is that a lot of morons won't be able to steal a car with a manual transmission. :D

16. hotrod-steve

hotrod-steve
    from canada

We all better get used to it. The younger gen just LOVE their gadgets. I once read a survey that said some would rather go without sex than give up their e-crap. They dont know what there missin! Mayby the human race will just die out because of electronics.

17. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Or the parents

18. It occurred to me recently that all the technology in use so that we can stay connected actually makes us less connected. Many people don't have real, interactive, person to person conversations any more. Some don't even know how to.

Geez, what on earth would we do without the government there to tell our kids to go out and play? Oh man, we are so fucked.

19. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Perfect post!
    I was thinking about a question that was asked to me this weekend after driving my mostly stock 32 to the beach 250 miles..
    Guy asked me how it drove.. I told him it was like driving a tractor going 70..
    Hard enough to light a smoke much less text and hold a latte or eat a quiche..

20. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

thanx for the tip!

21. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

No way I'll drive my ride in the rain around here. I cannot brake as well as the drivers around me and folks in new cars do not allow me space in case I need to stop quickly. I always allow a lot of braking distance with drums at all four wheels and no pb. But, in heavy traffic it is pretty hard to keep a reasonable distance without someone jumping in front of you. So the old girl only goes out of the garage in good weather.

My el-cheapo DD is "only" 12 years old and it is much easier to drive at 80 mph as my old girl going 60 mph.

22. austinhunt

austinhunt

I notice talking to the "old and grumpy" is a lot easier and more fun than talking to people my age..... since when does that make sense????

Maybe I just had good parents, but it seems like peope my age are really worthless. Its hard to find workers that will actually work on my crew (a local mom and pop construction company run by ex-girlfriend's parents).