Register now to get rid of these ads!

1939 Worlds Fair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

3. flamingokid

flamingokid

Among my 1939 Worlds Fair items is a Worlds Fair radio and a pair of the Chrysler 3D glasses.

4. weez

weez

Jay, watch Batman Mask of the Phantasm, I was obsessed with the '39 Worlds Fair when we did that... the whole end of it is set in a fictional version of the World's Fair- I was drawing tons of set ideas and they wrote it into the plot- lots of transportation exhibits, (a dream car exhibit of a "car of the future" that becomes the Batmobile later-) I think there was big Flathead building too- I should see if I can find some sketches...

So much great stuff in the GM building though! What a year-

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I think the 39 Fair was extended into 1940 as well. There were toasters made with the Trylon and Perisphere symbol on them as a Fair commerative. My son bought a really nice one at a thrift store here for $6, sold it on the bay for $45.
    The 33 Chicago Fair would be first on my list then the 39 NY Fair, fabulous automotive exhibits as well as all the other aspects of American life and across the World at the time/.

6. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

I was out junk shoppin the other day and was able to score a 1939 Worlds Fair New York license plate. Not much but lets me reach back to another time and place. Got it for $4 here in W. Ore.

7. PG

PG

I love turning to your posts for a glimpse of this era.

8. Jive-Bomber Jay -

Great post!

It's really a bummer that the Chrysler video was removed from YouTube ... I posted it in my May 31, 2009 1939 World's Fair Chrysler 3D Film thread ... I thought it was a really cool stop-motion animation (almost PIXAR worthy :rolleyes:) ... but sometime in the Fall of 2009, the video went missing from the Public Internet :( ... I've been looking for another copy of it ever since.

UPDATE:

After further research, I discovered that John Norling's 1939 "In Tune with Tomorrow" (B&W version) was re-released in Color as "New Dimensions" in 1940 ... and that RKO Pictures re-issued "New Dimensions" as "Motor Rhythm" in 1953.

Here's a color anaglyph (red/blue) version of "Motor Rhythm":

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sNm0XiML4dA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sNm0XiML4dA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Just put your 3D Glasses.jpg on and enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  9. autobilly

autobilly

That's outstanding (pun intended), thanks Todd.:)