Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Trials and Tribulations Of The GNRS: 2011

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

The problem is that you do have to walk miles (more than once) to sniff out the "smack" that can be hidden in just about any corner of any of the buildings or outside.....the payoff is there's no high like the "only in Southern California" moments that you can experience anywhere you turn and then run into people you haven't seen for years or decades.

2. Marcy

Marcy

Good times for sure!
    I am wore out. This show somehow feels like the best family reunion ever, with my hot rod pals from all over the country.
    Spent most of my non working time in the custom building, or staring at the Rudy Merc...amazing!

Special congrats to Russ for shaking things up with the Take-out T, definitely had people talking.

Marcy

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan, you can say whatever the hell you want. We really don't need to say it again, do we? About thanks for creating and superbly governing this incredibly rich community of enthusiasts/artisans/pioneers/fans/builders/racers/horsepower-loving hoodlums?

I appreciate, look forward to, and value your point of view. Thanks!

4. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Worn out feet and calves. The only thing better than the Customs building was catching up with old friends and meeting new ones.

5. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

MAN! I wanna make it next year :(

That is a cherry lil roadster, Got some soul power

6. HA! I was just gonna type something like this :D Either way, I really regret not going, but the job got in the way. I'm still a newbie at my job and don't quite have vacation yet! It looks like y'all had a blast. Emperors DO NOT dissapoint. I REALLY wanted to see the Texas Playboy in person...Bass that thing looks killer.

7. jadeidol

jadeidol
    from spokane

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the road home

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Jesus... sort of looks like me on Friday night.

9. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Ryan...well stated! I go every year...spend most of the time in the first two buildings. The Custom show was absolutely out of this world! Every one of those guys is willing to stop, talk and share stories with you...simply the best! The beer and food...way over priced...considering us who live here in CA own the friggin place!

10. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Back in beautiful NJ (what an asshole haha)
    Thanks HAMB for causing my addiction.
    I am in a state of shock on the cars I just witnessed.
    It was a great pleasure to meet Ryan, Coby, Chris Casny, Brad Masterson, Bill Hines, Jack Stewart, Bad Bob, Ed Iskenderian, Rik Hoving, Darryl Hollenbeck, John Denich, Roger Odell, Kewi Kev Perry, Lucky Burton, Luke Karosi, Jerry from Rolls and Pleats, Penny Pichette, Jimmy White, Sondre from Kustorama...I will remember more later.
    Favorite neighborhood visited...Compton. Thanks Slim
    Oh yeah. two words. Aztec and Trendero.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I had a GREAT time. The GNRS was incredible and my feet are hurting too. My flight home was about 2.5 hours, sorry Ryan. :)

The best part of MY personal trip was taking a siteseeing detour through the LA suburbs. I took a notebook with all the addresses of old, relevant buildings I could find in my old books and managed to locate most of them. Visiting these historic places was a lot of fun. I found that when the building still exists, only about half of the current occupants are even aware of the significance of the place. And I found that some of them are well aware of the history and are doing a fine job of making their own history.

12. sololobo

sololobo

Hey, it ain't easy being a hotrod hoodlum these days! Good to be home I'm sure. Cool coverage brother. I could see the super "T" winning but just had to vote for my heart, the 36 roadster. I am pleased the gang recognized the "T" as the great example of the period. Kudo's Deluxe. ~sololobo~

13. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Man I hated that purple car when the voting was open. It just looked garish to me with all the black roadsters but for some reason seeing it again I love it! Need to get to that show someday.

14. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

A pink hot rod??? I don't think so...

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's what she said...

16. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

The Take out T is such an awesome looking car. It looks like something right off the cover of a 1963 Rod & Custom. I feel sorry for anyone whose hang up with it is the paint color!

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

There is NOTHING wrong with the paint color. :p

18. It was good seeing you again,Ryan. Thanks for signing the HAMB banner,even though nobody will know it's you!!!!!
    The Take-out T was so cool! Looks like it came right out of the Great Western Exibit Hall in the 60's.....

19. You all bitch and moan about how flying sucks... Well, don't fly then.

You forget that the airlines are at the mercy of mother nature and don't forget you are flying on a high tech piece of turbo machinery that isn't without it's own particular ideosecrecies and quirks.

In essence, they are sophisticated computers with wings.
    The most important thing is you all still have the same equal number of takeoffs and landings to your name so you can come on here and complain.

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Easy chief... Tongue and cheek man. Just having a little fun.

21. When it comes to flying. "TAKE OFFS ARE OPITIONAL, LANDINGS ARE MANDATORY"!!!!! Love it or leave it, I love it, been piloting for for over 45 years!!

22. autobilly

autobilly

Congrats to Russ Freund, spectacular car!

23. Jcbuck

Jcbuck

Ryan,

I am glad to see you made it back home alive! I don't like Untied Airlines and my staff of 6 who put on this amazing event should not be compared to swine (or any other hoofed creature.) Alyssa did so kindly take care of your free tickets this year correct? I personally stood on stage and annouced the HAMBR award for you and the fans becasue I think it is great award. Thank you for bringing it out!

I got a kick out of earlier posts about our huge flipping organization that is a corporate monger etc etc etc.

I can tell you this Axle did a nice job at the Suede Palance, however Rik Hoving, Jeff Nipple, Luke Karosi,myself and my small staff spent countless hours putting that room together. It is one thing to say lets get 80 customs together, it is another thing to actually make it happen. Axle and Celeste are good people and deserve to be recognized, but without the backbone of the Rod Shows crew and the expenses that we incurred to make that room happen it is just a good idea waiting for a home.

I look forward to another great year in 2012 where Bob Komos is assembleing 80 of the finest Driven Dueces around. It is the 80th anniversary of the 32 ford and we will be having a huge party. So book you ticket now and not on United Airlines!

All the best! John Buck AKA Farmer John - Current Proud Owner of the GNRS.

24. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

<<< IDIOT'S GUIDE UPDATE!! >>>:D

[​IMG]

This might explain all the threatening p.m.s telling me to vote for the "Take Out "T"!!:eek::D:eek:

Congrats to Russ as well as all other nominees!

25. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Yeah, that's too funny. I knew it had a familiar vibe. I can be a little slow at times.
    [​IMG]

One of his other cars is up for sale right now.
    [​IMG]

26. seatex

seatex

"Pink POM POM's, anyone???? :p:p:p

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good to see you post. Happy to promote the show and am appreciative of the press pass this year! That ruled! I felt all official!

As for the swine thing, that's a Hunter S. Thompson reference that not many people got I guess... Obviously, you didn't. My apologies. In no way do I think you and your huge organization of 6 are swine. I also don't equate your show to heroin. Again, another play with words.

To Axle's credit, he's the guy that takes care of me and really makes our award happen. To me, he's the face of the GNRS as he is all I know. He rolled out the red carpet for me this year and it was really appreciated. I had read a bunch of posts he had made promoting and organizing that room here on the HAMB and figured it was his baby. I stand corrected with your post. Congrats to everyone that put that room together as it really was incredible - a once in a lifetime deal.

Now... About my writing style. I don't write like most show promoters expect I guess. You can't give me a press pass and expect me to post a few photos and a couple of paragraphs about the bitchin' time I had. I write what I feel and experience - good and bad. I try not to let anything bias me one direction or another. I go and I feel it all... Especially those $9 beers after having one too many.

28. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Ryan, you write like a blogger. It's opinionated and self centered. But it's also informative and entertaining. Don't ever change

29. I feel ya this thread... Stuck in denver and prolly not leaving tonight

30. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

X2 :eek:
    I take that as a compliment :D Good to meet you.