Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A rear spring perch dimentions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daisyduke, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Daisyduke

Daisyduke

Hi y'all

I'm putting a model A rear spring on my 1926 model T rpu i would like to know the width of the spring perch for the rear axle. So i can weld my brackets on.

Daisyduke:)

2. Daisyduke

Daisyduke

BTT

Please need help

3. Dan

Dan

I had a similar question in post of mine, so far the consensus seems to be 47" to center of the mounts' eyes. When done with weight on the rear end your shackles should be at a 45 degree angle so the distance may be +/- 47", I plan on just tacking mine to begin with in case I need adjustments. I also cut short sections of 3" tube to weld my brackets onto, then weld the tube to the axle, I also plan to gusset the mount to the tube

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

I measured a model A rear axle last night, and the distance between centers on the perches was 49 1/2". I was surprised, because I thought it would be less than say a '40 rear axle, but my '40 rear has a distance of about 47" between center points.

Hope this helps.

Rich

5. That helps, Thanks. I can start getting the axle mocked up now.

6. Mutt

Mutt

Contact Posie's - they can tell you what the distance is.

Mutt

7. Daisyduke

Daisyduke

how?? who are Posie's???

Daisyduke:cool:

8. Mutt

Mutt

Sorry Daisy - Posie's rod and custom makes springs and kits for hot rods. Their mounting kits come with the dimensions for mounting the brackets.

http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/

Mutt

9. A Boner

A Boner

I think the distance from mount eye center to mount eye center should be 48"!!! :)

10. orcas tow

orcas tow

My 31 A coupe rear axle perches measure 49" center to center.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I told my 'know-it-all acquaintance' that he'd better weld the perches at 49". He said he 'didn't know where I got my information', but I was wrong. LOL
    He stated the perches HAD to go 47" apart, some Pomona hero gave him that spec. He welded the perches (P&J, with the gussets) at that spec, then hung the spring...Shackles swung out as the car's weight came down on them, binding the spring.
    I was there, watching...I silently laughed as he had this bewildered look, O.K., I had tears in my eyes...
    What made me laugh so hard was when he looked at the bound shackles, he climbed on the 'A' rear bumper and jumped up and down. (That'll fix it!) Now he had me cryin'!

But as he was cutting them off, I refrained from giving him the 'I told you so!', instead drove home and returned with a '27 T spring.
    I insisted on placing the hangers, in exchange for not charging him much for the spring...
    He tacked the hangers on this time, then minimally stitch welded them...assuring me that my judgment wasn't to be 'blindly trusted'...but when the car settled, the ride height was just what he wanted; he had had fears of the 'A' spring being too tall, and planned to 'Z' the frame. Saved his ass twice.
    I didn't hammer him on 'Keep it simple, st----'. I'm too cool for that...:D
    He forgot to thank me, too...what a nerve. :cool:

12. Manager

Manager

My stock perches are 49.5 inches C to C as Rich said.