Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Tap... Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Yeah! got to be a good feeling have that thing up and running again. :D

3. Nice detective work. You could have "panicked" too easy and tore the whole thing out. Good work with good pals.

4. Labold

Labold

Lucky Duck, glad you found the problem and it wasn't nearly as bad as expected. It's good to have a few helping hands that know their way around a flathead.

5. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Cool beans man, It's great to have gearhead buds to help out on occasion. Glad to see you back on the road.

Doc.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

glad to hear it wasn't a catastrophe. You had some damn fine help there...

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I wonder whats in my flathead? I'll find out soon enough and know what to look for thanks to posts like this.
    Great story, topped with a cool shot of Miller there!

8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I built a few Flatheads that way for stockcar racers,H C Willcocks show me how in the late 50's,he was the best flathead man in Fla.:cool:

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

True friends.....gotta love'em.

10. BLAKE

BLAKE

Interesting learning experience, fer sure. Once all the pre-disassembly guesses were on the record, we went thru the process of measuring and recording lash on all the valves as a logical start on a real diagnosis.... 12 thousandths... 14 thousandths... 12 thousandths... 65 thousandths... hey, wait a minute!??!!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  11. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

Thanks for the update - I've been wondering. Glad you found it, and really glad that little piece didn't go cause mayhem somewhere else...

12. There's an oh shit moment for ya!

13. eddie1

eddie1

With your luck on this today would be the day to buy a lottery ticket!

14. slammed

slammed

15. jetcycles

jetcycles

+1 glad you're back behind the wheel!!!

16. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

Nothing like having your kids hanging out in the shop with you.

17. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Dude, that's what I'm thinking, he even has like a little Zen warrior pose going on there, I can only imagine the little guy going after you like Yoda.:D

18. thendrix

thendrix

Great to see it was nothing to serious. A lot of sport bikes or "crotch rockets" use shims to adjust valve lash like that.

19. Diaper Boy to the rescue!

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Nice to see you guys got it figured out Ryan. I would have thrown a SBC in it by now (right Chris) for sure hahahah!!! It's nice to find these tidbits out because this is a good reason why we see so many early ford's powered by SBC's. Sometimes it's a type of frustration that puts a man over the edge which is why it's nice to have some good friends to keep your sanity in check and keep that ol' flathead where it should be.....right in the engine bay of that early ford car.

21. NoSurf

NoSurf

22. duste01

duste01

Ferrari engines set lash in a similar fashion although the shims are a bit bigger, and aren't brazed.

23. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Glad to hear that flatty is back on the road. I think its cool that its your daily driver too.

24. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Awesome. Smart friends rule.

25. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

26. seatex

seatex

Hope the other caps stay put until the adjustables come in!

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It's nice to see you back up and running. The asset to this deal, and the story, is friendship! I would not want to do this deal without my friends. The one to thank the most in my case is El Polacko. Without him I would have been burned down and by the side of the road way to many times in life! I see Reggie in your mix there too - I've met him a couple of times now, and he seems like one of the nicest people in the world! Glad to see your back to commuting.

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There isn't necessarily a lot of fitting involved with the olde lightweight lifter plus a shim technique. A traditional shop equipped with period tools would have had the special valve seat-to-lifter mikes made for this sort of thing...just measure that distance vs. same on valve with the specialty mikes, braze or weld slab onto lifters, cut down welded slab to the measured and calculated thickness required in the lifter fixture on your valve grinder. I'd bet an old school auto machinest could measure and cut each assembly faster than I could find the right blade in my feeler gauge, and that all 16 would be right on first assembly.
    I believe the factory did this in a parallel way...seat heights were measured, and the block went down the line with the measurement scribbled by each valve seat. Next guy selected suitable valve from a rack of pre-measured ones within the small size range needed on new work. Gotta find that picture...in a 1930's article on Ford procedures.
    Using the valve grinder to cut the lifter lump also assured lifter top exactly parallel with end of valve stem, eliminating a possible smaller tap-tap from skewed contact there.

29. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Flatheads are for masochists.

30. yblock292

yblock292

Damn Ryan, gonna make a mechanic outta ya yet! Nice job