Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Coker Tire Challenge: Part 1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Ryan ride on into Lebanon Tennessee this weekend....

3. These are seriously nice folks. I love East Tennessee. Good luck!

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Tennessee boys RULE!

5. skwurl

skwurl

Yea we do pretty much rule!

6. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Sounds like alot of fun,not just sitting in a parking lot!! Ralley hard and good luck!!

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Need to strap a video camera somewhere with you on the run! Have a great time!

8. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

The Coker Tire Challenge? Getting tires that are round. Good luck.

9. skwurl

skwurl

Thats too funny!

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You lucky bastard...

11. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

MAN...HAVE FUN!!! The ralley race is a whole different animal but it's always good to expand your horizons!! Great place to be and great bunch of folks to do it with. Looking forward to the updates. Have fun holding back the blown flattie!!!! Kinda like a thouroughbred hooked up at the pony rides!!

12. Have fun and be careful.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Hope your able to keep your foot out of it. A friend from long ago used to do this kind of racing and he always tried to con me into trying it. As soon as he would mention "getting there in a prescribed amount of time" all bets were off. I'm too used to "getting there first" from long years in drag and oval track. At 65 maybe I should try something different...............maybe at 70?:cool::)

Frank

14. Sounds like somebody's got it made..... ;)

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sounds like fun.

16. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Who is there from the guard sponsorship? I used to work on the National Guard marketing teams and I did quite a bit with the great race back in 06. Is Jack Roush still riding in the Army sedan and wearing his 4star general hat?

17. Let 'er rip when he least expects it!!!! The expression on ya potner's face will be priceless!!!:D:D It's a HOT ROD.....born to do it.......

18. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

This is the Coker Tire Challenge, not the Great Race. The actual Great Race is on hiatus until 2010:
    http://www.greatrace.com/newsite/

Here is more on the Coker Tire Challenge
    http://www.cokertirechallenge.com/

Have fun Ryan! Good luck!

19. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Frank, you could swing it like the turtle and the hare. Drive like hell, get almost there, and then take a NAP until it's finishing time! You've got all of the training worked out!

20. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Nice area.Check out Monteagle mountain and Sewanee.Also the Civil War battle scene is pretty good there on Lookout Mountain.
    Looks like a cool event.

21. flamingokid

flamingokid

Some guys have all the luck.

22. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Got any more pictures and specs on the red modified with the '34 grille?

23. James Curl

James Curl

Some people have all the luck, most have to furnish their own car and pay for the privilage of driving in the event. I keep looking at the ad and wishing. I went down to San Marcos a few years ago to watch them come back in for the day and to look at all of the vehicles and wish I could afford to do it, it looks like it should be lots of fun and more good memories.

24. Ouch! Thats gunna hurt:D

25. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

I've been running with this group since '99. Once you've done a vintage rally a mere hot rod run is pretty boring stuff. These deals are hard on the cars, we drive 'em to win. We run a '29AV8 rumbleseat roadster, fenderless. The rules take seconds off your score for older cars, and they have to be period correct; your car's age is determined by the newest major component. My car has a 24 stud, Lincoln Zeph trans with BW overdrive (torque tube, 1940 model), '36 diff, '40 wheels and steering, '40 brakes. All old stuff so I can be scored as a '1940'.

Been across the US 5 times. Won 7th place in 2005, Philadelphia to San Rafael, in the '29. No breakdoens, 3500 rally miles (few interstates).

Stumb is well known, we've beat him a few times.

Wish we were there.

'29AV8
    Car 45

26. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

These aren't all southern teams: we come from all over the country. I'm from LA and ran Missourin in June. The team with that red Ford Indy car is from Maine. That's a 21 studder too, '35 spec.

You can't drive any speed you want. This is a precision rally. There are posted speeds, you hold those exactly. When speeds change you have to know how long it takes to go from 30-50, or from 0-50. You have a chart for every combination. You are given precise times for stops and intersections. Each car runs exactly 1 minute apart on each timed leg, which can be an hour to two hours long.

Good scores run :05-:09 off from perfect for the day. :20 for the day (4 or 5 hours on the clock) will be a top 10. Competition is very tough. It's closer than NASCAR: the top 10 can be within .05 seconds. You have to know if your tires grow or shrink in cold weather, rain, or heat, and compensate. The driver has to hold speeds within 1/4 of a mph or better just to have a chance. That's around corners, over hills, whoop-de-doos, railroad tracks, you name it. It ain't for lightweights.

You can't stop within sight of a checkpoint, and if you speed through it (they are all unknown locations) you blow not only the last leg but the next one.

Your car has to run perfectly all day, even in driving rain or intense heat: there's no pulling over. Flats don't earn a time delay: you got to change it fast, and know exactly how long it took.

If you go off course or hit a train, you have to make up for the lost time. Not by driving simply fast, but by holding 10% or 20% over the posted speed so you do it under control. That's where it really gets interesting.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Just in... Jeff and I scored two aces, a 1, and a 2... Not bad for a rookie driver holding him back.

28. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

This is a good chance for you to walk around and promote the Hamb in person and show some goodwill from Texas. Hope you meet up with some common working class hot rodders instead of just high rolling celebrity car collectors. Hope you have fun.

29. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

Jim Menneto, publisher of Hemmings, finished 5th out of 51, his best finish ever. He drives a '32 speedster: mostly a 21 stud in an A frame with deuce grille and speedster body. NO FENDERS OR TOP, AND IT RAINED.

30. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

There are teams from Texas, not all are bucks up collectors, and there are HAMB members who do this.