Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rat Rods got tickets or Just stopped by Cops?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HONESTHERMAN, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ERKEL

ERKEL

im with ratster- no problem in east tn. ive driven a camaro with slicks to a henry j with a 6-71.

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

bingo!!!!

3. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Cops are like sharks, sometimes you can swim with them, sometimes they bite you!

4. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

There's two sides to every story. Let's see the rat rod in question. Can you post a pict? Not saying yours is a bucket of a** holes, but I've seen a LOT that should be put out of their miseries. Pure junk cobble f-ed together in the name of rat rod silliness.

5. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

i got pulled over when I lived in Austin in my 51 on the way home from a shop repair. No plates straight pipes etc.had just bought the truck We shot the shit and he said he pulled me over just to admire my truck and say how much he appreciated me keeping another one from getting crushed. I think a good attitude goes a long way. Cop or not no one likes a person who's an asshole with attitude...

6. I have been hotrodding for fifty years and I never drove a car with open headers on the street. Loud on the street is neither fast nor cool. I drove drag cars over the years and loud there is a by product of racing, on the street, it is posing.
    I knew if I ran open headers on the street I was asking for trouble in my town. "Hook nose" Tony, the motorcycle cop, would run you in for sure.
    I agree with the attitude theory.

7. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Its all about age and attitude.

I dont get tickets because I have age (50 years old) and I dont have an attitude.

My son who is 19 gets stopped all of the time driving my wife's 2003 Oldsmobile.

Gary

8. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

I couldn't agree more. And Its seems to me that here in NJ anyway the noise statutes are not enforced. There have been times 2:00 in the morning that I wanted to kill the kids down the street with their rice burning clown cars.

Gary

9. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

I usally get a thumbs up from the locals........But then last summer, I was cuffed and stuffed while they searched my car....I'm fifty and until that point never been been handcuffed by an officer......But that's another story
    Pat

10. I got two warnings last year and during both lectures they both said that I had to nice of a car to be laying rubber with out on the public street. They both suggested I should take it to our local 1/8 mi. strip and do it there. I also made sure that they understood I waited for an empty street to have my fun on so I was not endangering others, not that it made it right but that I wasn't stupid.

11. Appleseed

Appleseed

Rat rods? Deserve every ticket they get.

Hot rods, however...

12. corsair

corsair

I don't care how bad you guys think cops harrass rat rods, it ain't nothin compared to what happens if you hit the road in an import. I used to autocross, and had a Civic set up for Street Prepared. I'd take that thing to work every once in a while when the daily was being repaired, and if it wasn't the cops pulling me over, it was kids trying to get fast and furious with me. Just thinking about it makes me remember why I left that crap behind years ago.

13. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

i was in a parking lot i hit my flame throwers a few times and never saw the cop but he gave me a "RACING" ticket because i hit my "NITRO BOOSTERS". i tried to explain that i didnt have nitrous and how flame throwers work but he wasnt having it. and to make matters work on the ticket he wrote my speed was 45 IN A 35 even though my car was in PARK!!:mad:

14. 7"Chop

7"Chop
    from Denver

So True.

15. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Been pulled over twice , exchanged numbers/business cards with the cops. Shoot the shit every now and then.

16. A local guy has a Tobias chassis '36 Chevy coach modified from the '70s made street legal, has huge dirt track tires and no fenders whatsoever. Has been driving it for years.

I've run for long periods of time with no muffler with never more than a warning.

If you do dumb stuff you get pulled over, my late model beater truck is the last vehicle I got pulled over in and that because the cop said I rolled a stop sign... I didn't think I did but I didn't argue... it didn't help that I needed to run another ground to fix the left rear taillight so that it wouldn't just go out entirely when I hit the brakes. But he was nice about it, the ticket he gave me I was able to get out of via the mail.

17. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Just tell them it's not a RatRod and they will let you go....

18. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Actually, to the best of my knowledge, in California, the no fender law (exposed tires) is exempt from prosecution if your car is "grandfathered" in. Meaning, if your hot rod was built before the law was enacted, then the law is not applicable. Fortunately for us California hot rodders, the burden of proof is on the law official.

I will have to do some searching to find that specific loop hole vehicle code section.

19. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I would fight that one if I were you. If all else fails, talk to an attorney that specifically handles traffic cases. I bet he/she gets it thrown out on all kinds of technicalities. Good luck.

20. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Not much problem here at all unless you're acting like an asshole....More likely to get pulled over if you're in a late model Corvette, Viper, Ferrari, etc...Must be an envy thing

21. i live in a small town that everyone knows everybody , the cops dont pay me know mind and usually when i pass them on the road it dont make much difference , they just smile and wave!!:D

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im on the cops side, all Rat Rods should be taken off the road.

Hot Rods are a different story, I agree much has to do with attitude, I have gotten out of many tickets just by being nice and talking to the cop, there just like us and have a job to do. (Yeah, I know a lot of cops!)
    Doc.

23. skwurl

skwurl

I got tickets for no seat belts once. I tried to explain that it didnt come with them. He wasnt havin it. I got pulled once for a headkight out. th cop was real cool and chatted with me a bit.I've been pulled over so many times on my bike most of them here just wave at me now. I got to know some of them. I always wave as I'm passing by the police station just to stay in thier good graces.

24. Unless you drive through Benton TN with an out of state tag, All those clowns do is watch for out of state tags on 411.

25. only time i got stopped here in wis. was because the cop thought the car was cool and wanted a look see.

26. kustomkat

kustomkat

Small time for most of you guys, but..... I was in Pismo Beach and was stopped in my 53. He asked me if I had mufflers on it. I told him that I had just had the exhaust put on, which I had. I told him that he was welcome to look under the car if he wanted to. He then asked if I could raise it up. I told him that I couldn't as this is where it sits. I guess he didn't want to get dirty cause he let me go. Good thing he didn't look underneath as all he would of seen was about 20 feet of pipe and a bunch of oil...

27. slepe67

slepe67

heh heh, I've had the misfortune of being pulled over 3 times, in 3 states, in the last 3 months. Each time, I told the cop the truth.

First cop, KY Highway Partol told me that he was going to let me go, because not too many people told him the truth, they usually argued with him. I honestly had no idea what the speed limit was. I also was doing 71 in a 55.

Second cop, FL HWY Patrol told me that he usually had his mind made up about giving a ticket before he even got out of the car. He said he'd make an exception in my case. 73 in a 65.

Third cop, USAF Security Forces. Told him, again, I had no idea what the speed limit was, and where the HELL was the sign? "Slow Down", and let me go...whew, I think I am due for a big one, which is why I am using cruise control like a mofo!

28. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

"leniant" ? Yeah, maybe. A friend of mine told me that back in the 60's he and his buddy got the crap beat out of them by Andy and Barney for no reason other than they had long hair. They were cooperative and not resisting. The only thing that saved them was that the dipshit cops forgot they had a passanger and a witness. I think they were pulled over for a minor traffic violation. At least back then they had to have a reason to pull you over.

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive been lucky i guess.
    Ive never been pulled over while driving any of my "Toys", although none of them are Rat Rods so..maybe i shouldnt be replying to this question?

30. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

I spoke with a NJ State Trooper about my Duece Pickup ( wich is hoodless, fenderless and open headered ) to get his opinion. He said 99% of the troopers he knows wouldn't look twice unless I was doing something stupid like burnin' the tires off. He said what they're lookin for is wet fart sounding, front wheel drive, fast and furious shit boxes with big wings on thier trunks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.