Register now to get rid of these ads!

What headers will work for SBF into 54 Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fairlane 62, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Fairlane 62

Fairlane 62

Hi,
    I am new to the board. My son just got a 1954 Ford 2dr for a project and we plan to do an engine swap. Motors available in my parts are 302, 351W, 351C and 460.

Our preference would be either the 351C or the 302. We trial fitted both of them and both will fit fairly easily with stock exhaust manifolds. However, this will be a street strip car and I need to fit tubular headers. I tried some fox body shorties and some long tubes from an 80s pickup but both have clearance problems with the steering box.

I did a search and found several guys that have made the swap, but they all appear to be with stock manifolds. Does anyone know what tubular headers might work with this swap?

Thanks,
    James

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Could you use the Fox Mustang shorties and modify one or two of the tubes to clear the steering gear? I had to do this when I put a 302 in a '57 Ford -- used the Ford Motorsport shorties and modified the driver's side.

Malcolm

3. Fairlane 62

Fairlane 62

Malcolm,

My shorties are the equal length headers so they have the tubes rolled around each other. The regular shorties might work.

Thanks,
    James

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yeah, the regular shorties may work better for you - those equal length ones certainly take up more room!

5. Huntfamily53

Huntfamily53
    from AZ

6. I have sandersons on my 55 with a 302.

But it does not have a steering box to try to clear..

7. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

i have a 54 with a 302. i used sanderson headers and they worked very well. have a ton of miles on the car and no issues have come up.......john

8. Fairlane 62

Fairlane 62

Thanks for the responses,

I was out of town for a day and just got back.

HOTRODJ54 did you use the blockhuggers on your 302?

I would prefer long tubes for performance, but I will probably need to go with shorties or blockhuggers due to the space limitations.

Thanks,
    James

9. Fairlane 62

Fairlane 62

Huntfamily53,

I just noticed that your 53 is a truck. Our 54 is a 2dr sedan, so the 351C header fitment may not work.

James

10. I used fox body shorties on my 302 54 Merc. and had to slightly dimple one tube to clear the steering box, they didn't actually touch the box but I gave em a little extra room.

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Another good choice is the 289 "K" Code Hi-Po manifolds they are lighter than regular manifolds and flow well I have pics with them in a '54 the clearance is excellent pm me for pics,here is an attachment showing what they look like.I visited the Sanderson website out of curiosity and put 1954 Ford in search,4 headers came up none for a Windsor.In this pic Hi-Po's are on the bottom.

Attached Files:

12. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

The last thing the 5.0 went into was, I think a Merc. Mountaineer from about 93/94. Headers for those are weird (lots of up and over around the drivers side) and might work for you - Ford Racing used to sell them.

Also check pics/ideas here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233376