Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical In-Car Footage: Scarab

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Wow! I caught my self gritting my teeth while he was passing the other car Great video Thanks

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Wow! That was wonderful having the sound of the motor and the squealing tires! I like when he overtakes the red car right after the main straightaway at about 2:45min.

4. texasmark1

texasmark1
    from Houston,TX

yep... that red car never had a chance!

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Jeez, he wasn't the smoothest driver, was he? But HP and $$$ makes it look a lot smoother from 50ft. Gary

6. truckjim

truckjim

Amazing footage! Especially considering the level of film technology of the day. The tire squeal reminded me of Pirellis. They sang a loud tune and drivers used the sound to tell them when the end (of traction) was near. The Scarab is a beautiful car with great lines. Thanks Ryan.:cool:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  7. farmer12

farmer12

Great footage, love it. Thanks Ryan.

8. Video is right hand drive and the pictures is left? Hmmmm... great stuff and I wont need more coffee today. Thanks, Ryan.

9. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

There's a great film called The Sound of Speed directed by Bruce Kessler from 1960 of Lance testing his Scarab at Riverside.

10. seatex

seatex

man, awesome video! the squealing tires were awesome (and the link to "Tatra Girl" wasn't bad, either)! Thanks for the post!

11. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Working as a professional writer myself, there's nothing more I hate than people nitpicking grammar and misspellings. But I do I love when spell check gives you the wrong word, but it's even better than your original thought. I'm pretty sure that's what happened when you wrote the phrase "American bread." Of course you originally wrote bred, as in born and bred, but spell check unintentionally put a whole new spin on the phrase! The fact that he spent a huge chunk of the Woolworth "American bread" (as in dough, dollars) on making an impression in the european racing world with an American bred car made me smile.

Love these stories, Ryan thanks so much for "skating the same line" over and over for us to enjoy.

12. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Is the red car one of the Bocars, made in Colorado, some with Potvin crank driven blowers on Chevy engines?

They should have been one of the few to exceed the Scarabs' power, but certainly did not have the development team to sort the cars!

13. Very cool clip, thanks!

14. goetzcr

goetzcr

I had a chance to see Augie Pabst run his Scarab at Road America when I was a kid. Apparently he's still doing it at age 73. http://www.tomstrongman.com/ClassicCars/Scarab/Index.htm
    It's pretty cool to see guys take these very rare and very valuable cars and get them out on the track.

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Poetry. Great find Boss.

16. GaryC.

GaryC.

I'm pretty sure that was Steve McQueen doing the narration towards the end.

17. firingorder1

firingorder1

If you get a chance to see the Goodwood Festival take a look and see what they do over there. Not only out on the track but they seriously race them and bend them. No parading.

18. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Wow, awesome exciting historic video, thanks!

I'm not sure but I was thinking it was some kind of Lister (Jag?).

[​IMG]

In any case, I was surprised it hung in there so well.

19. LOL, so the film was printed reversed? Car in the photo is left hand drive, car in the video is obviously RH drive. Neat as hell, anyway...

20. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

They originally made three cars. One left and two rights. The lefty became Reventlow's personal I do not know if it ever actually raced but was I believe qualified at Riverside in 1958 and then damaged in practice. The two rights are the ones that Meister Breauser purchased. The left hand car was and perhaps is still owned by Rob Walton of Wal-Mart fame.

21. sololobo

sololobo

Edge of my seat thru that marvolous film. God if that ain't pure hot roddin, nuthin is. Thanx for the coolest race I felt I had ever driven. Made in U.S.A.!! Uber cool ~sololobo~

22. Midget25

Midget25

Cool video, Contential Devide Raceway was just south of Castle Rock Colorado, half way between Denver and Colorado Springs. Was a long road course that used the drag strip as the straightaway. Fun track to race. Too bad it was crowded out by growth.......................

23. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Best 5 min. I have spent today. Tire technology sure had a ways to go back then. I thought he would loose it a time or two.

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

cool vid. I always had a little interest in L.R because he was one of the last persons to see J.D. alive. They had a chat at blackwells corner and had made plans to hook up for dinner in Paso Robles. Of course we all know what happened about 20 miles later.
    When L.R. sold the car to John Mecom, he installed a Traco-built 327, put A.J Foyt in the drivers seat and won some races at Nassau.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  25. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

red car looked a bit like a lotus 11 to me.

26. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Have you ever driven an actual race car on a high-speed circuit using the tires they had in the 60s. That isn't an interstate freeway, it's an asphalt track with dips and lumps, reverse camber curves and a good driver was always at the absolute limits of adhesion. Watching his hands whip-sawing that tiller looked exactly like he knew what he was doing. I invite you to give it a shot sometime.

27. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Good eye - that's exactly what it is.

28. MRpants

MRpants
    from pea ridge

what a wonderful noise.

29. mgbtc

mgbtc

Years ago, Briggs Cunningham had a museum in Costa Mesa. I went there many times, he had the best collection of cars, race cars particulary, I have ever seen. One of them was a Scarab. I understand most of the collection went to San Diego.

30. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

He also had one of the "Desmo" engines from the Formula One effort.