Register now to get rid of these ads!

Real Rodders Wheels. What should my lug holes measure?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamedabone, Oct 6, 2012.

1. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't find my micrometer, but my lug nut shanks seem to be "loose" in the lug holes on my Real Rodders Wheels. I have tried three diffrent kinds of mag style shank lug nuts and they are all "loose." I tried the same lug nuts on my original Halibrands and they are waaay more snug.

I am chasing a slight vibration in my '34 that went away when I removed the Real Rodders Wheels and replaced them with the Halibrands off my Model A. I am NOT bashing Real Rodders, they make kick ass wheels right here in the USA, I'm just trying to find out what the lug nut shank hole size should be. (Yes, my Rodders have a brand new balance job and replaceing them with my Hals from the Model A totally fixed the problem.)

I'm going to go look for my micrometer...

Thanks, -Abone.

2. ryno

ryno

Can't really offer any help on this ,but if I'm understanding you correctly, you are asking the outer diameter of the lug or the inner diameter of your wheels?

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm looking for the outer diameter of the shank on the lug nuts and the correct inner diameter of the wheel lug hole. My lug nut shanks all seem to measure about .680 useing my EYE-crometer, but the lug holes in my Real wheels are a bit bigger...bigger than my Halibrands.

BUT, I still haven't found my micrometer, so any measurement I give is subject to speculation...

Thanks Ryno. See you in August.

-Abone.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

My friend has REAL WHEELS and we used the same lug nuts as My Halibrands ... in fact ... we bought them from Halibrand ( the lug nuts )

[​IMG]

Randy

5. ryno

ryno

6. Fogger

Fogger

The Real Wheels on my 3W were made in '86 by Eric Vaughn, I checked the od of the lug nuts and they measure .675". Don't know if the new ones are different.

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Late to the party again ... BUT
    I measured my Halibrand lug nuts and the shank measured .686 :D

8. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm guessing you need .750 shank lugs

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh and your wheel centers should center your wheels.As long as your shanks are not to long they should just be the clamping force only.Not the point of centering.

Lumpy

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. Totally off topic and un-helpful post here....sorry Jeff.....but damn that's a CLEAN garage!

11. Must do all his work out side and then put it back in the garage to keep it that clean....

12. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

That's good....he's probably a part time heart surgeon, uses his work bench for emergency aortic anyeurism repairs.

13. alchemy

alchemy

Most all vintage hot rod and original wheels on the cars we build are lug-centric.

14. Abone, does real rodders sell lug nuts for the wheels in question. I'm sure they could answer your question for you (in case you never do find your micrometer)!!:rolleyes::D

I'm thinking about ordering some wheels from them for the rear of my 40 since Halibrand seems to be taking forever to get the ones I need. Did they have a quick turn around on getting the wheels to you? Thanks