Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Homebuilt quickchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jethro, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll post what I have so far. I've been working on another version of my homemade quickchange. I'm thinking about calling it a "HILLBILLYBRAND" tm to go with my "HILLBILLYBORN"tm fuel injection.

First thing is gut out and clean a banjo housing. Before you make any cuts be sure you are making the hole for the bottom shaft on the proper side of the pinion. If you make the hole on the top side you'll have a "go three speeds in reverse" rear end. If you just rotate the housing so the pinion faces the rear with the cutout for the pinion facing you you will make the cut for the bottom shaft below the pinion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The biggest thing to remember with a V-8 or Halibrand type of quickchange is the gear spacing center to center is 3 inches. You must use the V-8 6 spline type gears. The bigger Winters style use a 10 spline 3-1/2 inch center to center spacing.
    I used my milling machine to cut the hole for the bottom shaft but a good drill press with a sturdy vise or some other means of holding the housing steady would work. I used a 2 inch good quality bimetal holesaw. I was able to use a coaxial indicator to center the big hole then move my table 3 inches. With careful measurement this could be accomplished several other ways. I also made a cut from the other side of the housing using the same measuring method . It is not super critical if it is not "dead on" a few thou one side or the other won't make much difference because these holes only locate the tube that the shaft goes through. the holes must line up straight though or the pinion shaft won't be parallel to the driveshaft and the gears won't mesh properly.
    The next thing I made was the back plate for the housing. I laid out where the holes would be and cut out the flange "star". This plate will be welded to the housing flush with the flange.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next step is to machine a front bearing retainer. I'm using a 6206 bearing so i made the flange the od of the bearing on one side and 2 inch od on the other side to weld the tube to. I used 2 inch 1/8 wall DOM tube . I made the bearing housing in two halves to capture the bearing and I machined a recess for a Ford 9 inch pinion seal. I'm sorry that I don't have a picture for every step . My photographer is a lazy SOB and won't drop what he's doing to come over and take pictures of everything I do (lazy basturd)
    So here's a shot of the pieces before they get married.
    [​IMG]
    The difference between this rearend and my last one is I am making the bearing housing separate from the back plate. My last one I made them one in the same and I got too much distortion when I welded it all together. This time I made a bearing housing out of
    1-1/4 inch aluminum . It will be easier to adjust any gear clearance issues this way, also the bearing housing will act as my pinion bearing retainer. I won't get into the specifics of the plate. you should be able to see how I did it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So here's everything mocked up before welding
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's the results after welding. I used an Air Liquide welding rod called "Magic" yeah , that's the name. I don't know the alloy but it's purpose is for welding mild steel to cast.
    [​IMG]
    I still have to machine the tube for clearance for the ring gear and carrier. I'm thinking I will try my hand at casting the rear cover. I want to do it as a cover and housing all in one like the "Speed Demon " by Wilson welding. I'm also going to try to machine my own shaft. I have done a couple of practice pieces and have got the 6 spline thing figured out. My last shaft was made by cutting and rewelding a 6 spline driveshaft down and welding and machining bearing collars onto the shaft.
    Ther's still lots of work to do . I have to make the shaft , the housing , driveshaft yoke... but I hope you get the picture of what I've done so far. Most of this could be done with a good drill press and lathe.

winr, 2Blue2, Outback and 8 others like this.
  2. chaddilac

chaddilac

This is gonna be cool!!! More please!! :D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

great thread i never seem to tire of home built quick change threads , very cool

4. Looking forward to this. Have been kicking the idea around for several years. Good on ya!

5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Or a torch and rat tail file, but it may not look quite as nice as yours.

I'm feeling that feeling............................... I should build one to show my idears.

Darn you Jethro!

6. bjinatj

bjinatj

Very cool Jethro!

7. Old Guy

Old Guy

When I made mine I machined all the bearing bores after I had welded it.
    this eliminated all the distortion problems.
    Must have worked pretty good because it is actually pretty quiet.
    Just that nice QC straight cut gear sound.

King ford likes this.
  8. Koz

Koz

Very, Very nice! I'm liking the way you provided for the bearing retainer. I assume your going to cut the center of the tube out or is there an alternate plan there? I'm watching this one progress. There ain't nothin' like a homemade quickie for cool.

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

Awesome!!!

Jethro is turning it up a notch, fellas. With this and the 9" stuff, he's upped the ante for tech week.

Good to see.

10. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

11. 383 240z

383 240z

WOW This is 10 lbs of cool in a 5 lb bag. I think I just found a great winter machine shop project. With this amd the 9" axle stuff I am SO GLAD I saved that banjo from the scrapyard. I HAVE to buy that A coupe I found. Keith

12. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

Cool stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Ooo!! This one is cool!

14. Avgas

Avgas

I'm subscribed, this is kick ass Hot Rod at its purist form! Wayne

15. bct

bct

man this is great... one thing tho is you kind of split your votes with two tech articles. is it too late to combine them into the most kick ass banjo ever thread?i would love to see you win! you deserve it.

16. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just went out and took a shot of how I cut the tube. I machined it flat , even with the recess in the pinion support where the ring gear goes. I also cut a notch in the center of the tube for clearance for the carrier. I'm going to leave the rest of the tube intact. It might support the housing a bit.

[​IMG]

17. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

18. sideshowrob

sideshowrob
    from australia

That's amazing. Keep up the top shelf work, I was wondering what you were going to do with the tube, I have a kiwi qc and the shaft runs through with no tube and it's tight, good job.

19. Ditto, looking forward to the next installment.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

Outback likes this.
  20. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

WOW, tech week winner right here if you get it bolted together and it works!

21. Koz

Koz

Perfect! Tht's a great way to do it. It gives support to the pinion where the rib was cut out and still keeps things open to the bearings. Never thought to leave the back in. Keep 'em coming!

22. Beachcomber

Beachcomber
    from Phoenix,AZ

23. -Brent-

-Brent-

Man, I want one of these behind my B banger.

24. Very cool keep the pic and info coming.

25. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a bit more. Not QC related but banjo related. I have done some research and found that one of the fail points on a banjo is the ring gear "walking" under high load. Apparently the ring gear wants to get away from the pinion and while doing so fragging everything in the process. I've heard of guys making a back support but I couldn't find any pics , so heres my take.
    I welded a bung (I said bung tee hee) In the axle tube where the back of the ring gear will ride adjacent to the pinion.
    [​IMG]
    Next , machined a brass bolt to ride on the back of the ring gear.
    [​IMG]
    Found a lock nut
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm not expecting to lay down too much serious torque but it couldn't hurt keeping the ring steady

SuperKONR, fiftyv8 and dos zetas like this.
  26. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

A support pad like that is very common on HD truck rears,for that very reason.

SuperKONR likes this.
  27. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to put this together for a quick pic.....wadda ya think of my rear end .....in a non gay manly sort of way.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brEad, fiftyv8 and volvobrynk like this.
  28. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Very nice work!

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

30. bjinatj

bjinatj

Does this quickchange make my rear end look PHAT?