Register now to get rid of these ads!

1968 GTO Funny Car Sanford Maine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SDCAT421, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDCAT421

SDCAT421
    from Mass

I am looking for any info on this 68 GTO Funny car ,This car was raced in Sanford Maine and at NED in Epping NH. Car may have ended up in NH In the early 80's . The name on the car in the late 70's may have been "The Toy " . Any info or Pics would be great . Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

I raced at Sanford in late 60s and I can't recall see'n the car but that doesn't mean anything.. There is going to be a Sanford Runion at the airport this June. I went last year and is was pretty good.. They had a repo of the tower even..
    Pontiac Slim

3. SDCAT421

SDCAT421
    from Mass

bump , Last seen in NH Seacoast area in 80 -82 poss. painted maroon with a big block chevy 427

4. Check with Jack Brady(church key here on the HAMB);he is very knowledgeable about early New England race cars.I don't recognize the car but I stopped going to Sanford in 1964(courtesy of the US Navy).

5. [​IMG]

Sure, that car was featured, in black and white, in an east coast magazine when it was new. I remember the pages were of a rougher grain paper, not the smoother, shiny type.
    I have had the article since 1968. Would have to locate it but, going by memory, it was 428 powered, blown on nitro. Early tests showed an 8.23 ET.
    Hope this is helpful. I have collected info on the faster Pontiac powered race cars my entire life.

It would be nice if that body has survived. I'd love to own it.

www.pontiacheaven.org
    Hosting 2011 Pontiac Heaven March 31- April 2

6. I have found part of the article I referenced the other day. It was owned by Tim Kushi and Bob Moore from K&M associates and built at a cost of $10,000. In early testing ran an 8.23 at 177. ;63 421 block, Crane ported heads, M/t blower drive, Hilborn injectors, etc. 118" wheelbase, 3.90 Pontiac rear end. Kustom body shop of Utica, NY did the paint.

Hope this is helpful to you.

twostickmutt likes this.
  7. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

The HAMB is an awesome tool of knowledge! Very cool!

8. SDCAT421

SDCAT421
    from Mass

Thanks for the input Steve,Do you know what publication showed that car ? Very Interested in the time this car was completed ,was this car raced as a different car prior to this picture .Thanks again . Alex

9. SDCAT421

SDCAT421
    from Mass

Still looking for any pictures or info on drivetrain . Any help would be great. Thanks

10. SDCAT421

SDCAT421
    from Mass

Bump. Any other Pictures of this car would be great . Thanks

11. SDCAT421

SDCAT421
    from Mass

[​IMG]
    Still looking for any pictures or info

12. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I do not remember this car at Sanford. Actually think it did not run there as NED was just opening and the flip body funny cars where coming in about 68. I remeber altered wheel base cars on exhibition runs at Sanford.

13. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Funny thing is we're still looking for your intro... :eek::p:D

15. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

16. tommycarl

tommycarl
    from enfield ct

i remember this car well. bobby moore would make passes in it nearly weekly at lebanon valley in 1970. ran mid to low eights. it was just a regular fixture at the track. one sunday they had a funny car show that, due to attrition bob moore won over better known cars. the car went up for sale in the national dragster at the end of the season and showed up at connecticut dragway next year as "pams pride". that was the last time i saw the car. as a side note, i never saw the car break a part ever. i don't know how much nitro he was running but the motor was bullet-proof.

twostickmutt likes this.

17. Just as Funny....Read the rules...this isn't the site for 1968 anything! I'm just sayin.

18. Da Injun

Da Injun

Either is a lot of shit on the HAMB...Lat week people were wishing Happy Thanksgiving....it has nothing in common with old cars, hearing about someones dog dying while unfortunate is NOT car related, and every damn February there seems to be a race to be the first to post the death of Buddy Holly (and the others...he is just the one people go on about), or the worthless threads of; what kind of music do you listen to while driving, working on the car etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.