Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Tudor side glass installation--HOW?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patrick2965, Sep 10, 2010.

1. I should be installing the side glass in my 29 Tudor this weekend. I haven't found any tech info.
    Question--This window run channel sits into the vertical support channel below the horizontal window line. Unlike the door, you cannot drop the glass in from the top of the car. What is the proper procedure for getting the glass into the run channels? Do you bend out the steel support that holds the felt, insert glass, bend back steel support? Pictures during procedure?
    By advice, I bought the rigid U channel without the chrome edge from Sachse Rod Shop. The run channel fits the support channel in the doors and rear sides just fine and will be glued in with 3M weatherstripping cement, again by advice. The side glass will be operational too. I'm not taking the easy way out, gluing the stuff in to be stationary, Henry didn't.
    If you have experience, please help. Any corrections about what I have been advised as correct procedure is requested too.
    Thank you!

2. on my `28 tudor rear side glass i installed it first , then slid in the felt channels and then glued them in place.

3. daddio211

daddio211

I did the same thing 36-3window did with my '31 Tudor. I dropped the glass in first, then worked the felt window channels in, then secured the channels to the body. Wasn't simple, but I did it by myself in less than an hour for both sides.

4. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

I'm pretty sure i did the same thing, but it was a few years ago, and I've forgotten. i do remember that it was a bit more of a pain that the door glass.

5. Y'all basically did the same. HOW? Did you insert the felt channel from underneath? Was the channel cut to the same length as for the door? Shorter?
    Here's why I'm asking so much. My car was basically stripped of everything. I have no reference from disassembly. I have found no pictures. Most everybody around here has A/C and sealed stationary rear side glass. I don't have A/C in Arkansas!????!! Many guys bought, not built their own.
    Thank y'all very much so far.

6. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Hoping to get good feedback also. I am right behind you in about 3 weeks. Hope to have it painted in 2 and glass installed in 3.

any back to the garage for now..............

7. Here's how I have figured it out based on these guys and and playing inside the car afterwards.
    To install the sideglass, you first insert the glass without the window run channel and hold it high in the window opening. You then insert the glass run channels from underneath. Apply weatherstripping cement or favorite glue stuff to hold the channel in place---with the window high, pull out, glue low, THEN window low, pull channel, glue high. OR vise-versa if you choose.
    Why was something as simple as this be so cotton pickin' hard to figure out for me?????

8. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

That sounds right - I wish i had been taking photos when I did mine. I just remember spending a couple of hours futzing around with it and getting pissed until I figured out the correct sequence of steps.

9. Man, it's like one of those wooden puzzles that somebody else took apart.
    Hmmm, slide it this way to insert piece L through ...........................
    Hey Coop, did you do anything about the body and outside of the door glass and side glass to keep weather from coming between??????????

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  10. rtc1930

rtc1930

Check out this link on installing glass into a Vicky Model A.
    http://jmodela.com/window.html

On page 19 It basically says (I read it quick) you install the glass before the felt and then slide the felt in place clipping the bottom first and then top. I'd recommend reading the article to make sure I didn't miss-interpret that. I also recall reading on another site the front felt channel should be wider then the rear so you can pop the glass in that way but it doesn't seem to make sense.

I'm about to install the glass in my Town sedan but not for another 2 weeks.

Bob NJ

Cliff Ramsdell likes this.
  11. yngrodder

yngrodder

I Bought Factory Window kit from Snyders, I first unscrewed the interior (Metal Panel) Inserted and glued one of the fuzzys in then I inserted the glass in it and then started the second fuzzy, I then moved the window up and down sliding the second fuzzy up with the window a little at a time, until it was all the way up. Then put the window regulater and Metal Panel back in. (Factory Model A fuzzys have a clip that holds them in place but you Glue them in as well)

12. Bob, it doens't make sense because of how the glass is cut. The way I figured this out was to finally get a donor rear side glass for my Tudor. The way my body panels fit, the glass is approx 3/8" shorter than the distance between the body opening verticals. So that is why you have to put it together like a wooden slide together puzzle.
    I'm enjoying the new challenges.

13. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Bump up so good info that I needed.

Cliff Ramsdell