Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Cord

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 14, 2008.

1. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

All Cord's were front wheel drive. Here's a pic of a '36-37 Cord engine from a Model 810. Walt probably used the supercharged engine which came in an 812 Model. According to my book they only made 2320 Cord 810 and 812s. Prices ranged from $1995 for the '36 sedan to $3575 :eek: for the supercharged 812.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Nice...I have only seen this car a couple of times in books but they where really small grainy photos...

3. 52 csb

52 csb

Great site, lots of info there, 52 csb

4. Slate

Slate

That is not a stock setup with the two carbs. The heads and intake have been polished and the brown ceramic coating on the exhaust manifold is not visible (may be just painted).

Attached Files:

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

He probably didn't have to worry about reverse rotation. If it was wrong when he turned the engine around all he had to do, assuming he used a Ford banjo rearend, was assemble it in reverse--ring gear on the wrong side of the pinion.

bct likes this.
  6. Slate

Slate

Not always - but the controls are an issue. There are several flaws in the design with some mods by owners to make them more durable (modified thrust washers and something involving the fluid pump that only works when moving). During an ACD get-together within the last decade, the group of Cord detailed a list of things to change to address these design flaws, if the unit was ever reproduced (or something like that).

It was just a feat to get the thing on the road at all. There was a reason so many Cords mechanicals failed - many of which involved the tranny and/or u-joints (the u-joints were fixed by a brilliant engineer using a GM [IIRC] type replacement. That is why you see Cords with alternative drivelines. Case in point, the Cord that is in my project list has a 48 Ford Flatty, 39 Lasalle sideshift and 40 Ford rear. When my Dad was last driving it in the late 60's, due to the similarities, alot of people (not experts obviously) took the Ford for stock.

If you want a complete, running Cord engine, good luck. Costly to buy and maintain with alot of part hoarding folks. You'd be better off getting a flathead with more available repair parts and gofaster goodies.

If you want a factory blown engine - even harder, costlier. Only made in 37 at a reported 170 hp (but is estimated to be greater than that - exact figure escapes me), 45hp over the normally-aspirated variety.

7. The old doctor I bought my Mark2 from was heavily into the great American luxury barges, mostly Cads and Chryslers. And at that time was doing a full restoration on a ,if I remember right, 36 Cord. What blew me away was that a buddy of his with a perfect unmolested unrestored Cord had loaned him his Cord to use as a "build guide". Part search had made this a very long restoration project. Neat to see a pair of identical Cords sitting together and neater that those two guys were good enough friends that the loan was not only considered but done.

8. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

According to Dean Batchelor's book, The American Hot Rod, Rose used the supercharged engine from an 812. I want to know what tranny he used and how did he adapt it!!

9. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

Thats one bad ass roadster.... I knew someone had to hot rod the cords cuase I still have that dual-point Mallory for a cord...

10. Ryan,

If I am correct, the pic you posted (copied below) is the resurrection of Tom Mix's "Death" Cord. I thought of that car when I read your thread title, because I used to see the pictures of him and his "Hot Rod Cord" in a hot dog joint all the time when I was growing up outside of Philly, PA (Jimmy John's in West Chester- hands down, the best hot dogs around).

Turns out that Jimmy John was a big fan of Mix's ( Western movie star who was born in PA around 1880), had met him on a few occasions, and collected alot of info on him, including the accident in the Cord that took his life.

The restorers did a great job- wish I had a pic of the wreck, as it was pretty devastating. I don't remember all the info on the accident, but that Mix came up on some construction way too fast and was seen literally outof his seat, standing on the brake and clutch as the car went into the construction ditch.

[​IMG]

11. A page from Car Culture magazine.

[​IMG]
    The 2 pictures below the roadster were actually 1 panoramic shot, split in two for fitting the magazine format.
    It's likely at Santa Anita in 1948 from group photos taken at a Road Runners Club picnic.

Top photo L to R
    unknown, Jack Avakian, Harvey Haller ?, Zeke Miller, Ak Miller, unknown

bottom photo L to R
    unknown, Dean Batchelor ?, unknown, Walt Rose, Randy Shinn

Visit the Road Runners web site:

http://www.ussarcherfish.com/roadrunners/Back in the Day/Back in the Day.htm

LOTS OF COOL OLD PHOTOS!

"Back in the Day"

Vintage Road Runners pictures -
    a nostalgic visit to Dry Lakes Racing and Hot Rods!

Stogy likes this.
  12. 3step

3step

Notice the spreader bar through the frame and through the eyes of the leaf springs

Stogy likes this.
  13. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Thanks LowKat, that answers my tranny question. What a great line up of cars! It's no wonder everyone of those guys is smiling!!

14. Slate

Slate

Here's a restored example of a stock 812 SC engine and tranny (I wonder what Nash tranny was used and how it was modified in the hot rod?):

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  15. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Now here's a question ...

what is the firing order of a Cord V8?

16. boldventure

boldventure

Cord used Lycoming engines, friring order for Lycoming V8's...

Lycoming Model FB V8 (un-supercharged)...2R -1R -3R -4R -1L -3L-4L-2L

Lycoming Model FC V8 (supercharged)...1L-3L-3R-2L-2R-1R-4L-4R

17. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Ah yeah, I know Buzz Guthrie too! What cool cat, the dude builds airplanes! His shop is awesome, there's something cool in every corner. You see that '39 merc he's got out there?

Back to topic: unfortunately, I can't find the picture anywhere!:mad:

18. alsancle

alsancle

Speaking of Cord specials, here is the most famous one of them all. It's currently being restored to it's 1950s configuration. The rear chassis is a cord front stub frame reversed.

The Cord 812 set a number of stock car records that stood for years. They all had 4 speed transmissions and the blown cars would really move for their era. Here is a really good FAQ:

http://www.automaven.com/FAQs/faqs.html

Attached Files:

19. gonzo

gonzo

20. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I'll try to stop by Gails shop an take some pics of the engines he has. He also has a really great Cord sedan that is very neat. I think the Cord roadster is one of the best looking cars ever built. The lines are beautiful. Now think of one with a big block in it, slammed to the ground and some 18 or 20 inch wheels. Awesome!!!

Rex

21. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Lycoming (which was owned by Cord at the time) made Cord and Duesenberg engines to Cord and Duesenberg specs. They were not commodity type engines that could be found in other makes.

22. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

Does the actual car pictured still exist somewhere? Anyone know?

23. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

24. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

If memory serves me right, the engines were unique to the Cord, and the heads are aluminum. They had the same intake/ exhaust arrangement that the flathead Caddy used.There were 2 versions of this engine, normally aspirated and supercharged. The later transmissions and front ends were much better than those used on the earlier Cords. All Cords are front wheel drive.

25. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

Attached is a picture of the front of my 1937 supercharged Cord model 812. The hood and grille ( fence ) is off here as I just rebuilt the transmission. Perhaps this will give you an idea of the arrangement of the Cord design. Note that the transmission is in the front of the car and is actually a transaxle arrangement. Incidently the Cords used a Lycoming V-8 engine that was especially designed for them. Lycoming at the time was owned by the Cord Corporation.
    Walt Rose's roadster had the engine pointed the opposite as the stock so it could drive the rear wheels. Note that the distributor is toward the rear while it is towards the front in a stock Cord.
    Gail Shaw is indeed a knowledgeable Cord guy.
    The Cord was an advanced designed car over 70 years ago.
    Many years ago I used a 1936 Cord sedan, modified to rear wheel drive to set numerous records at the dry lakes and the drags. I always liked the looks of E. L. Cord's cars.
    Don www.montgomeryhotrodbooks.com

Attached Files:

26. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

My Dad and I went to Chicago, long long long long ago to look for a car for me. We stopped at one place that had several Auburn's and Cords on the lot. The one I wanted was like the blue one pictured above, but it was maroon in color. I fell in love with the chopped-top-look and the crank out headlights. Don't remember if it was suspercharged or not The price was $395.00. He wouldn't buy it because he said that I would just tear out the transmission. We bought a 49 Chevy coupe for $200 instead. :( :(
    Ol Blue

27. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

<table id="post3819384" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_3819384" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(229, 229, 229);"> This picture is NOT a resurrection of the Tom Mix death Cord as it is a 2 passenger Convertible Coupe (also referred to as a Sportsman)

The Cord that Tom Mix was killed in was a 4 passenger Phaeton. The car was restored many years ago by the late Ray Nelson.

It is believed that Tom Mix owned more the one Cord.

Don't be confused by Cords nomenclature. A true Phaeton is a 2 or 4 Door Convertible Sedan with no windows, only side curtains. A Cord Phaeton is a two door Convertible Sedan with roll up windows.

The Sportsman name came from an ad that advertised the Cord as a car for "The Sportsman" Some Cord enthusiasts will tell you that there is no such thing as a Sportsman, it's a Convertible Coupe and they would be correct.
    <!-- / message --> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(229, 229, 229) rgb(229, 229, 229); border-width: 0px 1px 1px;"> [​IMG] [​IMG] </td> <td class="alt1" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(229, 229, 229) rgb(229, 229, 229) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" align="right"> <!-- controls --> [​IMG] [​IMG]</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  28. A buddy of mine has become freinds with Walt Rose in Washinton State. He has allowed him to copy most of his memento's from back in the day. Walt's health is frail. Late 80's I think. I never go a chance to meet him when I lived there but my buddy made me a copy of Walt's original brochure from the SCTA First Annual Hot Rod Exposition. I gotta frame it someday and get it on the wall. It's cool. Here it is. I feel lucky to have it. I also have those pics that were in that magazine article.

Attached Files:

29. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

You guys in and around Broken Arrow, Ok should go by 122 S. Elm Place.
    If Glen Pray is still kickin he can tell you all about Cords and Dusenbergs. While you're there have him show you his sweet little '40 Ford Coupe with the Jag engine. And if all that wasn't enough he has a hanger full of antique airplanes too. :D

30. SUNROOFCORD,

Thanks for the heads up- it's been too long since I've seen the pics of Mix's Cord that he had the accident in... and too long since I've had Jimmy John's hotdogs:D!