Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stone, Woods, & Cook

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 17, 2007.

1. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I just discovered this YouTube video you guys would be interested in. Its got alot of pics of the different SWC cars and other gassers including Mazmanian's.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2_tnosQ9Jh8

2. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Where in the hell have some of you guys been..........everyone knew that S/W were black............and nobody gave a shit...........that car wailed............the classic example of "Gasser"..........

3. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

The T sticker is for trophy only the two cars in the class final got those stickers the checker was the class winner.

Dave

4. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Your dads roadster is one of my all time favorite cars!! I used to work at Mooneyham Blowers and got to meet Doug Cook and your dad. Your dad just started to restore his car and was talking to them about the blower. I can remember when Doug Cook walked, in I instantly knew it was him. I was in awe that I finally got to meet one of my heroes. When he left Gene Mooneyham and Larry Faust claimed "that guy is a bad ass". They then told stories how he was a hell of a driver, plus he was also tuning the car, changing rear end gears etc. Stone,Woods and Cook will always be heroes to me..
    Jimmy White
    Circle City Hot Rods
    P.s. When your Dad left Mooneyham Blowers Gene and Larry said he was a "bad ass" as well. I remember them saying he had a street roadster that ran really good.

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. chuck fahr

chuck fahr
    from s.w. wis.

Does anyone know if any of them are alive? It sure would be cool to interview them today. I had the model when I was a kid, one of my all time favorits. I saw them at Great Lakes Dragway in WI. Did'nt they run a mustang funny car named Tinkerbell? I may be wrong.Somone here should know. Set me straight. Also at Great Lakes back in the early 70's there was a black team that ran a mopar called "Cold duck Time" Anyone remember that?
    Great thread!

6. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

I am pretty sure that they have all passed away. I think Stone and Woods were a little bit older then Doug Cook. I think Doug Cook passed away 7-8 years ago now.
    Jimmy White

7. Larry T

Larry T

I believe Leonard Woods is still alive and owns a Ford dealership in California. My guess would be Chino Hills Ford.
    Larry T

8. bobbyhstl

bobbyhstl
    from St Louis

Stone, Woods and Cook all have passed away, and ironically in that order. Doug died in June 1999. The last time I saw him was at Bonneville about 1998, working on his son Mike's car. It was my impression that the terrible accident with the SWC Mustang funny car in Alton, IL in 1967 had lasting effects on him. The SWC team was one of a kind.

9. Larry T

Larry T

Well, you got me to wondering and I looked around the net a little bit. I found a couple of articles about Tim Woods III that said his father and grandfather were involved with SWC and I found this 2005 article.

http://www.competitionplus.com/2005_09/by_george.html

Larry T

10. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. swcmaz

swcmaz
    from PA.

I have known SWC since 1961 and the person with the shads is Lenorard Woods the 3rd.

Tim Woods grandson.

I have many photos of the team and did part time work for them as early as 1965. Got lots of stories.

How many of you rember the SWC '33 Willys?

swcmaz

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. swcmaz

swcmaz
    from PA.

Sent the wrong photo. That was the Opel.

Heres the photo I ment to send. Fred Stone sitting on the fender.

swcmaz

13. swcmaz

swcmaz
    from PA.

New member here, lets try this again.

That didn't wprk either. says the file to big.

Back to the drawing board.

swcmaz

14. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Stone, Woods & Cook........immortals in my opinion

I'd followed them for about 2 years when I found out Stone & Woods were 'colored' (that was the term back then) in 1962

My reaction was "Yeah?"

Long live the 394 & the 'Hydro' (OK, their engine was a lot bigger than 394....)

15. toads29

toads29
    from Illinois

I grew up with my uncle driving a 40 willys drag car and all I heard about was SWC, KS Pittman, George Montegomery and Mazmanian. It was the neatest thing to see KS stop by my uncles trailer at a match race and just take the time to shoot the breeze.

I am a thirtysomething but I wish I grew up in that era when fans were just that, fans. Not just some ticket to make money off of merchandise!

Somebody on the HAMB come up with a Stone, Woods and Cook workshirt or tee.

To add to the when fans were just fans thing. I took my 3 year old to the match races at Route 66 on Saturday to watch the Front Engine Nitro Cars, Gassers, Super Stocks and yes of course Jet Cars.
    Animal Jim, Arnie Beswick and the Chi-Town Hustler Crew treated him to a great time! He has not stop wearing is Chitown shirt.

Take your kids to the races and hot rod shows they are like a sponge, it is great way to keep them out of trouble and in touch with the old man.

I will get off my soap box now.

16. The T means Trophy run, i.e the class final. Still that way today.

17. Ebert

Ebert

My parents built and ran Munice Dragway until 1972 and I remember SW&C vividly. We had several "Gasser Madness" meets and they came far and wide to beat the best gassers in the country. I will have to dig through my Dad's scrapbook to find a picture that shows about 25 gassers lined up....Mazmanian, Ohio George Montgomery, SW&C, KS Pittman, the Kohler Brothers, Stoltz & Velasquez, Jeg Coughlan, etc! Was one helluva way to live as a kid in Indiana!!!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have always wanted to build a replica of the black version.. not sure how long it was run that way...

19. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Somebody mentioned a team of black guys who ran a gasser called
    "Snuffbox".
    I got to see one of the first "Snuffbox" gassers run at a small intown
    (in Dallas)dragstrip called Circle Dragstrip in about 1960.
    The one I saw was a brown '49 Chevy with I think an Olds in it.
    This was when all the spectators (about 15) stood around the
    starting line about 2 feet away from the cars starting.
    I will always remember the Snuffbox pulling up to the starting line
    one Saturday night.The engine shut off and the driver,a black guy,
    bailed out and popped the hood open.The carbs were on fire!
    No aircleaner or scoops(2-4's I think).
    The driver lunged into the engine compartment and began puffing
    like mad and managed to blow the fire out.
    When he slid back out he said loudly " WOOO...now I know what
    peanuts feel like when they're roasting!"
    I probably told that story 50 times at highschool.I was only 16.
    BTW,I heard that those guys ran a '38 Chevy cpe. in B/G later.
    Great times in Dallas in the early 60's.

rfraze and kiwijeff like this.
  20. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

heres one for ya. i used to see them all the time at lions way back when. at one weekend run they blew a piston in the car. they had a tow truck with an olds in it also. so i watched as they pulled the motor out of the truck, swapped what they needed and won the event. then they swapped back. in '67 when i got my first job, i worked with a black guy who would work for them on occasion and he had a blown olds motor for sale. needless to say , i bought it. he told me the manifold was one from swc olds days. he also had the headers from the willys but i was building a '53 ford gasser at the time and couldn't use them so i didn't buy them. dumb huh?

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. Isn't "The Texan" a ground hugging 40 Willys that Street Rodder were covering the build of.It was going to be an awesome machine but over a period of time,and changes in staff,it was never shown finished.In fact there were letters months later asking for updates.By the way,thank God you,ve put these PROPER gassers up for view.HELLO,these are gassers!!!:p

22. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

MOJO, The first SWC car was built in 1960/61, painted metallic light blue, Olds engine and called Swindler II. It was repainted in 1962 with a slightly different light blue metallic still called Swindler II. It was a B/GS car. In 1963 a lighter car was built for A/GS, painted the same light blue also with an Olds engine called Swindler "A" . And that now made the B/GS car Swindler "B". In 1964 the A/GS car was painted black and given a Hemi. It was a terror and set several records. Both cars were repainted in 1965 and both ran Hemi motors by then. The B/GS car was retired in late 65/66 and the A/GS car ran match races until late 66 early 67. During that time it received lower body mods and at one point had a gold stripe. Hope this helps.

Speed Gems and kiwijeff like this.
  23. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

Boones, the black car was run for one season, 1964. It was known as the "Black Widow". The car did not get the magazine attention because it was not photogenic in black. Most of the photos you see are B&W. It was painted candy blue for 1965.

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello VenturaMotors. I know your dad, Hugh Tucker. Saw him a couple of years ago at the SEMA show in Vegas, hadn't seen him in years prior to that. Here's a question for you. What ever happend to Dave Stoll? I remember that the supercharged Olds in the Tucker & Stoll street roadster originally came out of Dave's ski boat. I used to hang around with Dave and I seem to remember that Hugh was working at B&M at the time.

25. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

correct...I beleive those pics are at Arteaga's shop, too...

26. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

This car debuted on March 28th 1964, and the S.W.C Mustang made its appearance in '68...

27. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

When I was a kid used to see them at Lions often. We thought the cam manufactures were the reason the SWC cars went to Hemi's. The start of
    the Cam wars. I don't remember the Olds being not fast enough.

28. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

The black Swindler A was also campaigned in '65, by '66 it was the Mettallic blue again.

29. Gearhd69

Gearhd69

Great tread! Thanks for sharing everyone.

30. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Ryan

This may be the most significant post on the H.A.M.B.