Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stone, Woods, & Cook

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 17, 2007.

1. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

you got that shit right...amen.

great thread.

2. chilimac

chilimac

I have loved that car since I was a kid reading magazines and thinking that was the coolest car ever.I still think that today.

3. Spike!

Spike!

Great post. Thanks Ryan

4. Muttley

Muttley

Some more great SWC pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. garysgun

garysgun

I just saw these pictures in a September 1964 Rodding & Re-Styling magazine that I just got. I too was surprised that I had never seen the whole crew's pictures before. It was always one of my favorites.
    Gary M.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's the reply I was waiting for....

7. mabey stones and wood always took the pictures? j/k

8. teddyp

teddyp

i knew that stone and woods were black back in the 60,s just never realise that there were so few pictures of all 3 men they were the best know gasser crew of all times say willys and your next thing to pop in your head is a blue willys s.w.c

9. Appleseed

Appleseed

Indeed. At 150 mph, who can tell what you look like?

10. ditz

ditz

I saw that same car race at Muncie Raceway back in about 1962. I had to hitch to the strip before I was old enough to drive. I can still see the blue Willys jumping as it hit the gears. I did not realize that Stone and Woods were black until now but it makes no difference to me. To me, Gassers were drag racing and the SWC coupe was at the top of the heap. I walked away from drag racing when the brackets started. Just not the same.

11. jimdillon

jimdillon

I guess I am a bit surprised that more did not realize that Stone and Woods were black. I remember seeing some reference to it when I was wasting my youth at Detroit, Milan and Motor City, although I am not sure they screamed it from the rooftop. Gassers have always and will always be my favorite quarter milers and Stone Woods and Cook were number one in my book, closely followed by Big John's 61 Vette, and Ohio George and a bunch of other great racers. Anyone that ran Detroit should remember a series of Lil Kim cars. They were run by today's Promod racer, Harold Martin's father Huston Martin who had a shop not far from my grandfather's over on Livernois in Detroit. In the sixties when I was running, he ran a series of 29/30ish A sedans that ran incredibly fast. He switched up a few bodies but his cars were always some of the strongest running cars there. I believe he ran into the eighties and I hear he still toys abit on his son's team. Good memories-wish I could go back and enjoy a few more-Jim

12. dochorsepower

dochorsepower

394 Olds not significant? Ask Albertson Olds and Leonard Harris. I'm going to try to attach a picture.

Attached Files:

13. Chad s

Chad s

Actually, I took that picture, and gave it to Mike.

The guy standing behind the car on the left is the current owner (if I remember correctly).

Here is another shot I took that day:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. Chad s

Chad s

and another:
    [​IMG]

15. The owner is Mike Wales who is also general manager for the Grave Digger team. The guy standing next to the car is Joe Trilo who is the former owner and the one who restored the car to it's current state.

16. One from this past January....

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. VenturaMotors

VenturaMotors

I know this guy who knows who knows this other guy that told a friend that he drove for S.W.C. and Mazmanian.

Or ...I can just ask my father who did drive both .
    44 years ago tomorrow, My parents got married and flew to Seattle to match race Stone,Woods and Cook.
    My fathers crew trailered the car to Puyallup,WA and got it thru tech inspection.
    His guy was very eager to make a qualifing run and neglected to top off the brand new B&M Hydro...
    My folks spent their honeymoon night replacing the trans to make the race that weekend.
    Larry Davis's back cover shows the picture of that weekend.

I was informed that the single T was for class trophy run and the double TT was for eliminator run.

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think the 'T' designation differed from track to track... I know at Wall Dragway, they always "T'ed" our cars just like that after tech... That said, I've also been at tracks that "T'ed" class winners.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think Paul was actually saying the Olds powerplant was very significant...

20. Mojo

Mojo

I asked in the other thread, but i'll ask here too. Anyone know the history of the different versions? The light blue car was the first, and the dark blue one that was cut off at the bottom was the last one. Possibly it was the medium blue one with the gold stripes. Anyone know about the black one? I read there was 4, but i've never seen anything else about that.

21. VenturaMotors

VenturaMotors

"I was informed that the single T was for class trophy run and the double TT was for eliminator run."

This was at national events in the 1960's.IHRA,NHRA etc.
    Larry Davis's Gasser Wars has pictures on page 67 and 103 of "T"ed cars.

22. TOE

TOE

Apologies to Chad S.

He is the one who gets the photo credit for the pic I posted earlier. He also posted the interior shots that I was about to post.

23. Zumo

Zumo

I found a few more pics:

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Gasser madness has a pic of the blue one and black one side by side.
    The black one was swindler A the blue was B
    So there was the swindler II the light blue one.
    Then A and B but I think in different incarnations since I've seen the dark blue, dark blue with a gold stripe and black.

Which one was the one that had the bottom cut off?

25. clemdaddy

clemdaddy

any of you guys know of the gasser known as "the texan" owned by one of the chisenhall brothers that started vintage air in san antonio?
    i saw the blown elephant willys about 8 years ago in one of their shops. i assume it's the same vintage as the swc willys and probably campaigned against it. anybody got pics? it sure looked badass....

26. bobbyhstl

bobbyhstl
    from St Louis

If you can find issue 6 or Rodder's Journal (Winter 1996) it has the complete story of the SWC cars. In addition to great photos, it give a rundown of when all the various cars were built, when they were painted with what color, and Doug Cook's complete racing history. It also give good coverage to Fred Stone's and Leonard Woods' involvement with the team. It is a great resource for the SWC fan.

27. monsterflake

monsterflake

maybe that's why i can't find #6, all the gasser guys have 'em!

28. bobbyhstl

bobbyhstl
    from St Louis

My latest issue of Rodder's Journal arrived today (#36). It has a great article about the history of the SWC Swindler B car, including some terrific shot of the car in its restored form. Try to get a copy you if you like early gasser history.

29. Mojo

Mojo

thanks for the tip, i'll get that issue. Still waiting for #36 to come out on the news stand!

30. Gordon (Jack's brother) owns the Texan which is a street rod he's been building for the last 25 years or so. Progress has been a little slow:) As I remember, it was a fresh built car as opposed to an ex-gasser.

Gordon was at the Round-Up in the maroon chopped full fendered Deuce 5-window he acquired from Danny Zeller.