Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods found....in ARUBA???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elrod, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Elrod

Elrod

I was out of the country on a little work in Aruba, (yeah yeah.. believe it or not, I was busting my ass on 18 hour days) and got a little free time one afternoon to take the car to find some lunch.

While driving back into town, I spotted a chopped shoebox on the side of the road! I nearly snapped my neck doing a double take. On a dutch island with tiny hundais, Nissan's with names I've never heard of and Le'Cars everywhere, I was shocked to see this piece of tin on the side of the road.

Underground Cycles
    http://www.undergroundcyclesaruba.com
    (what the sign said...website doesn't seem to be working yet)

I stopped to take a few pictures of the cars and the shop, and even included a picture of the owner.

He said Anthony from the Shifters built the 28-29 Tudor. He sold a lot of lucky 13 clothing there and showed me the Model A in the new 2006 book. He also mentioned wanting to go to Viva Las Vegas, and that some guy had been in a week before telling him about the Roundup in Austin also. The word is definately out there Steve!!! Way out in the middle of the OCEAN in fact!

So, needless to say, when I was feeling far far away from home, it was great seeing some familiar sights! Take a look! You can see some Aruba stuff in the background...

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      71.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      51 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      66.3 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      71.9 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      63.1 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      60.3 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      72.7 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      49.7 KB
      Views:
  2. I dig the bamboo interior in the Model A!

3. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

been drag racing for several yrs. there should be some cars.

4. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Very Cool. Hey, somebody show that to Killer (shoebox with green flames)

5. mojo66

mojo66

I went to that same shop in Aruba about a year and a half ago!!! Pretty cool stuff. I was at a beach and sawa 66 Fairlane convertible, and the place we rented a jeep from had a late 60's Camaro sitting in the corner. There is also a full 1/4 mile dragstrip!! Amazing for such a small island, talk about a tropical paradise!!

6. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

He needs to carry MFS DVDs.,,,:D maybe Could trade him for a free trip to Aruba...Isn't tha where that chic came up missing...

7. 36--Coupe

36--Coupe
    from chitown

Just came back from Curacao, its about 35 miles east of Aruba. Their where several older cars on the Island. What really surprised me was that with the rust factor being leaps and bounds above what the Northern guys have is that anything over a few years old even exists at all. During my 6 month on the Island, thanks to Uncle Suger! we'll I can't complain at least it was not Iraq again. I saw 3-4 28-29 A tourings, a 48 Pontiac fastback sedan, a 35-36 Ford convertable both under a large carport. I could never get close enough to see the front end it was blocked by a bunch of brush. I tried on several occations to talk to the owner but, he did not speak english and every time I had someone with me that spoke the local language, dutch, or spanish, he was not out. The Locals would not cross into his property with out permission and I can't say I blamed them. So my daydream of buying and shipping home a low mileage treasure never came true. Anyway i saw several 20's to mid 70's cars with the majority being driven.

8. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

The shop there is Awesome checked it out last year .. going back later this month to start work on my retirement shack.. will try to hook up with them and go for island cruze. The Drag Strip has been around since the 70's and have some fast cars from the US doing some exhibitions runs over the past years...:cool:

9. I have an old hot Rod or car craft that showed the dragraces scene in Aruba 20+ years ago. Car crazy.