Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tom Pogo from Outhouse Engineering... "RIP"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wingnutz, Jan 28, 2006.

1. I normally don't post about my "Hot Rod" friends that pass away but... "Tom Pogo" was very special to a large group of "Hot Rodders", Racers, people from all over the world, and me...!!!

I heard of his Death at a "Race Car Expo and Swap" in Milwaukee and immediately fell silent with a group of fellow racers and their families.

I met Tom 25 years ago at Angell Park when he was the Chassis designer/builder for Ron Hoettles Sesco V-8 Suzuki Midget racecar driven by Greg Nelson.

I just was a wrench that wanted to help out the team and was promptly adopted into this crazy racing world of "Midgets" with open arms.

Tom has touched thousands of peoples lives around the world with his fabrication expertise and his racing fastener business... and I know that he has built components and cars for a few HAMB'rs in Wisconsin and around the globe as well.

No... he wasn't a HAMB'r... but I heard that his son Lurks on the board and gravitates to the more "Traditional Style Hotrods"...!

I know that he would help out the Aussies and New Zealanders when they would campaign their cars in the Midwest circuit and especially when they came to Wisconsin...!

Tom retired from Race Car chassis building a couple of years ago and followed his passion of building Street Rods... his workmanship and Cheerful attitude were second to none in my books.

And he was helpful to me right up to the day before his passing by letting me know that he had some 4-bars with my name on them if I still needed them...!

God Speed Tom and may God watch over your wife Karen, your children and your Grandchildren...!!!

Mark:(

2. krooser

krooser

I remember going to Tom's "Outhouse Engineering" shop back in the late 70's/early 80's to pick up some tubing one of my buddies bought for some suspension work we were doing on his late model.

Tom was doing a little TIG welding on a few brackets in a fixture. I told him I'd never done any TIG welding....he handed me the torch and let me give it a try. I probably screwed up the beautiful welds he'd just done but he complimented me on my effort.

The midgets he built were always well thought out and nicely built. He was a craftsman in every sense of the word. I always enjoyed visiting his shop.

Godspeed Mr. Pogo...

3. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Yeah i just heard about this tonight. I talked to him a few times last summer and just seen him at Milwaukee World of Wheels show. He was a great guy!

4. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

SON OF A BITCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He wasn't old enough to be dead. Good friend, went to a lot of the same events together. Hung with Jigg's and Eddie Gutch.

Thanks for the update Mark, will call Jiggs and get more info. Tom was a master fabricator. Will be missed by Maggie & I.

RIP TOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!

B:(B & Muggs

5. 21G

21G
    from WI

Thanks for starting this thread.
    Tom earned alot of respect and it is helpful to read these posts from others that knew him.
    Like Wingnutz said...No he wasn't a H.A.M.B.'r, that was because he didnt care much for computers. But he was the guy that told me about the HAMB so I could learn more about flatheads. He was in the process of building me a '32 Roadster at his shop and it will be powered by a flatty.
    This guy was by all definitions of the word a "craftsmen". He would design and build anything to perfection...midgets-modifieds-sprint cars-late models - and yes hot rods! He ran his business the way he treated his friends...honest and sincere.
    I met Tom in the early 80's when I was racing modifieds on dirt tracks in S/E Wis. After 2 years of running an old shit box I knew I needed a new car to get faster and Tom was known to build some awfully fast race cars. But like many young racers I didn't have the budget to have him build me one so I figured me and my buddies would do it in my shop. Tom spent some time with me at his shop and taught me a few things. Then basically told me to get a pencil and paper and a tape measure..he then points to a new chassis sitting on his jig and said "copy it, if you build yours like that it will be fast and it will work." He let me come in to remeasure and ask questions many times. He always had time to talk to me. I would buy the steel tubing from him - but his help was always a gift.
    Over the years we had a chance to do business together and it was always good to deal with him.
    When he started building hot rods I knew I wanted a car out of his shop. Hell, I wanted one for 22 years..so he built me a '37 Ford. His work shows his love for the hobby. Lately he was building '32 Roadsters..each one handcrafted to the new owners dream.
    Check out some of these cars at the cruise nites and shows this summer and think of Tom Pogo.
    Friends are like old cars. Over the years we will have alot of them...but the good ones are hard to let go.....
    RIP Tom
    Our prayers to wife Karen, son Jeff, and Daughter Shelly and family

Howie and Maureen

6. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Damn.... Sorry.

7. k9racer

k9racer

He told me one time that he only used the first 4 letters of his last name because he got tired of explaining spelling and pronouncing of his last name. A class guy. He will be missed.

8. "Tom Pogorzelski...";)

When he told me his last name and and started spelling it... I thought that he was reciteing the alphabet...!

The funeral will be Wednesday 4-8pm at "Hartson Funeral Home" on 11111 W. Janesville Road Hales Corners WI (just outside Milwaukee).

"Max Gearhead", and "a boner"... are you going to make it for Toms Final Respects...?

Any others from the HAMB...???

Let me know as I do plan to attend... thanks...

Mark

9. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

10. A Boner

A Boner

YES, we're going for sure.....

Tom and I had a great friend Tom Glade. I am sure the two of them are bench racing right now!
    Tom Pogo is the one behind my name on the H.A.M.B. Tom and Ed Gutsch always threatened to add an "R" to the A-BONE license plate on my model "A" roadster pick-up. So, I decided to use it!
    He will sure be missed by many!
    Still can't believe he is gone.

Karen, Jeff, Shelley and family you are in our prayers!

Dennis & Pat

11. Tom Glade Stitched up the rumble seat in my 31 Roadster and got me "Hooked" on RC cars... spent a lot of time bench racing in his garage...!;)

12. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

Wingnutz, you are a solid dude!
    It's very noble of you to recognize his passing Mark. I got a call from Mike Lang Sunday morning and he told me the news. Tom was a good man, You want to talk about top builders, this dude had an attention to detail like few out there, I met him through Gordy Teshendorf about 4 years ago. I sold Tom flathead blocks & Ford parts for his customer cars. He seemed to get along with everyone no matter what kinda cars they were into. It sucks that something like this has to happen. The guy was my dads age! I just talked with him at the Milwaukee World of Wheels Show, This sucks. He will be missed.
    I'll see you Wednesday.
    Carl - Cheaters Car Club

13. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Mark:

As per our phone conversation, I will see you there. Decided that I couln't miss this wake. Tom was one of my hero's. I will hook up with D.C. and come with him to the Funeral Home. Look for the little fat guy with the long white beard.

B:pB

14. From the sound of it there will be alot of folks I haven't seen for some time and it's unfortunate under the circumstances however Tom was a popular guy and would've enjoyed having us all together...!

See you there.