Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Art of the Sleeper...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ryan posted this on the JJ awhile back, a shit storm quickly ensued.

3. hd4unm

hd4unm

I like it. A trend being seen more and more over the last 4-5 years and it seems to have staying power. Hi-Tech rats without the flat black.

4. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

5. No need for a shit storm.

I like a real sleeper, I don't do them all ultra modern but there is no reason why someone else cannot do them that way.

6. moefuzz

moefuzz

I always thought these made good sleepers but I am partial...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

7. hd4unm

hd4unm

Yah it is until you see the badges and hear that wonderful rumble of a big block. Nice one!

8. I like the Chevy a lot

9. rare32

rare32

I saw the chevy at SEMA last year....I like the idea for sure

I just read through the old thread also, I have a foot in both camps.

I like old cars that I can tinker with, change things out, fix myself etc.

but I'd like an classic car that I dont have to play with all the time so I can keep tinkering with the ones I want to.

Over the years I've swapped from old dailys to new dailys mainly when I get time poor and I feel I'm spending too much time on the daily, and not enough time on my real interests.

I just bought a 59 chevy sedan delivery and the Icon style route is most likely where I'll head, ls motor, 4 speed auto, air and steer.

It's wont be a HAMB friendly car but it will be better than driving the new Ford I am now

I still have my 270 hemi powered 32, a 235 powered roadster and a few more ideas to flesh out with stuff kicking around

10. truckjim

truckjim

I always called it hot rodding. Taking old and making it "better". Never had the money or desire to make it pretty. Just like making them faster, handle and stop. If I had the money probably would change nothing. Having too much fun doing it myself.

11. belair

belair

I like 'em, but I feel guilty about it.

12. Sleeper is history. Who are you going to fool? Back when every stop sign was a drag race, sleepers were cool. Now there are street bikes that will run in the 9's and turbo'd shit boxes in the 12's. There is really no place for sleeper to strut there stuff

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

both those cars would be better with paint and chrome.

14. dt50chev

dt50chev

I personally like these cars. I find it ironic when some will complain about not keeping old cars traditional while daily driving a modern vehicle. Sometimes a compromise would be better, a modernized older car. Isn't that where the roots of hot rodding and cusomizing lay? Transplanting a more modern engine to go faster, juice brakes to stop better, a grille, lighting or fender treatment to update the looks of the car? To each his own.

15. I think it's cool that someone does that stuff, but when I see that they make a modern chassis for the cars I'm assuming they go for $80-100K.

I like shiny old cool cars so I'll still to that stuff.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

On one side I'd rather they be painted and finished, but then they'd be exactly like all the other street rods parked next to them at the good guys show.

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

Way back, a sleeper was about as cool as it got. But those big Fords sportin' the 427 badging were a dead givaway as to some serious ass-kickin' HP within. :D

18. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I once saw a '65 Chevy Biscayne with the "drag pack option", 396 with a 4 speed. I was hooked then but an original was going for $65K. I found this car in San Diego and brought her home. 283 and a 3 speed. I dropped in a 500 hp 454, Richmond 6 speed, disc brakes and Hotckis suspension. I used the interior from a '66, since '66 had a two tone. I took the factory am radio out and replaced it with gauges.
    DSC00039.jpg DSC00040.jpg
    DSC00042.jpg DSC00043.jpg

19. Tim...your old ford sedan would be absolutely perfect to build as a sleeper. A smooth idling turbo'd late model v/8 in it with a 6 speed or a modern overdrive automatic...yeah, man!
    We have a local dude here with a pale yellow 78-79 fairmont...runs low 6s at the local 1/8th mile with a turbo'd 5.3 LS motor. Guy says he's gonna wash the car some day. Looks totally original except a little wider rear tire. I love sleepers.
    Tim's old 46 ford sedan..........

Attached Files:

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

I'm not sure those are sleepers.

A car guy will notice the lowered stance and non stock wheels right away.

And people the are not into cars think that anything that old has a huge V8 anyway.

A real sleeper would be some 4Dr from the smog era, with a couple of body panels in different colors, because they got replaced with slightly better junkyard parts.
    Sitting on 3 different brands of bias ply tires, stock stance.
    ( no rare aligator skin seats or NOS headliner material either...)

Now make that handle and perform like a modern supercar, and you've got something...:D

21. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

Hell yes... Cruzes at 140! Whats not to like? Just another old car.

22. He he he...

23. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I've considered putting a modern ls motor in a early 60's gm wagon for a winter driver several years now, so I can see the appeal if you were gonna drive it like a new car. But this is ridiculous, are rich folk gonna start buying houses in te projects and leaving the outside shitty and making a mini mansion inside?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Haha, rocky I already feel like its got to many vacuum lines on it at a grand total of two. I can't imagine dicking with something that new.

As far as it being a good sleeper I think with all the fast bikes and Eco boxes I'll just aim for the fat sway bar kind of sleeper. I think I'd get way more of a kick out of blazing threw the corners overtaking some new car then beating them from the green light to the next gas station :)

25. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I agree, couldn't be better said !!!

26. sololobo

sololobo

I was conntacted by these guys when I had a 50 Buick torpedo back listed in the H.A.M.B. classifieds. After finding out that it had badly rusted exterior rockers they said it did not meet their criteria. Interesting builds. ~sololobo~

27. metalshapes

metalshapes

......Or....
    ( and I'm getting way Off Topic here )

Put a WRX rally spec driveline in a aging Prius.

Again, stock looking wheels, stock rideheight, and as many " baby on board" and "stop global warming" stickers on the back as appropriate for such a vehicle.

You could probably 4wheel drift that sideways through rush hour traffic without being noticed...

If a car like that already exists, please dont post it here.

I would like to see it, but please start a new thread on the Dogfight Forum for it...:D

Edit.

I started a Tread for Non HAMB friendly sleepers on the Dogfight Forum.

http://www.dogfightmag.com/forum/showthread.php?1099-The-Art-of-the-Sleeper.-2.&p=10523#post10523

28. DeadGuy2

DeadGuy2

I think the sleeper idea goes back to the old homemade liquor days when you had to transport heavy weights, go fast, stay quiet and be able to handle corners on back roads.

I'm from the hills of western North Carolina and you would see those 58-65 Chevys, Fords and others mainly with just steelie wheels or dog dish hub caps. But when you would sit next to them you'd hear that 'rumble'. Of course this started WAY BEFORE the 50's. I was just putting my memories to it.

I love to see them old sleepers. Takes me back to my childhood.

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A rusty street rod.

No thanks. I prefer no rust and a traditional drivetrain. To me, traditional hot rods and customs are time machines. So let's go back in time for a minute. Poof. See any modern drivetrains? No...they weren't made yet. See any hot rods or customs with intentionally and proudly displayed rust? No...that only developed in later years as it sat in a barn through the '70s, '80, '90s...etc. Poof...we're back.

I don't hate it. I even kind of like it...for someone else. Do what you want. There have always been those who push the envelope and do things that most of us can't or wouldn't. But I don't get that old-time feeling from this car...no matter how much "patina" it has. And I don't think it belongs on the Hamb.

30. metal man

metal man

Unfinished street rods.They might be nice cars someday. Shiny with chrome would be better, and some poor ol' alligator got murdered for the ugliest interior I've ever seen.

To each their own.