Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just a loaner...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Kind of reminds me of when my brother and i use to take my parents car on Sunday mornings to do our paper routes. My brother borrowed my moms keys and made a copy. We would load up our papers and push the car down the street. Finally got busted one morning when my sister went to use the car and noticed that it was already warmed up on a very cold winter morning.

Having worked at a Ford and Chevrolet dealerships in my youth I can relate to the story. Thanks for posting.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  3. truckjim

truckjim

Had that job in the 70's. It was a move up from the L&O rack. Thanks for the memory.

Folks bought a new Chevy in '65. Dealer delivered it with out of balance tires, dry (I mean DRY) front wheel bearings, low oil level in the tranny (3 speed stick) and the rearend. Hub caps were on nice and tight! The local trusted Big O Tire dealer made everything right and the Cheby ran true for thousands of miles. That 283 ran from Ca to Tx and got 20+ mpg and the trip home was 'quick' as Dad was recovering from food poisoning. Texas roadhouse chili claimed another! I've wanted to go back ever since and next year in Austin is looking good.

4. badshifter

badshifter

I like your dad! Just the right amount of mischief and guilt! Disconnected a few speedos myself back in the day for various "emergency" use.....

5. belair

belair

You're always a good read, J-B. Thanks.

6. jroberts

jroberts

I can imagine how nervous your dad was as he walked back to work on Monday morning. I bet he was glad to see that lady drive that car away. Out of sight and out of mind. Thanks for another great read.

7. Awesome story!

Thanks!

JH

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

I did the same job at a dealership in the late 70s while I was in High School.By then,it was take 'em out and beat them to see if anything let loose.A different product by then.We would take them into an industrial area where we would race around and would occasionally encounter guys from the Ford dealership and mix it up a little.I still hate cars from that era,some of the worst crap ever to come out of Detroit.Then I ran a Chrysler dealership years later and found that Detroit had sunk to new lows.Since the early 90s,I've changed my mind about American cars,but it takes awhile to earn back that loyalty.

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

Back in those days,anybody in the know always wondered how many miles were "actually" on a vehicle.Speedos were about as easy to disconnect as a battery cable.

10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

My Dad worked as a mechanic in a Sports Car Dealer in South Dakota, talk about unusual at the time. But disconnecting the speedo was common as they would have to swap car with other dealers, and yes they felt they were 'breaking in ' the motors for the customers they knew would take out and instantlly want to see 'what they would do". So I grew up for awhile with unHAMB Alpines, Tigers, Jags and a race Lola and Austin Martin,, it was tough.

11. stealin cars impressin the relatives .. eventual guilt... fessin up long after any one could be in trouble

my dad is 90 and we are just now hearing stories . that could have sent us boys in a direction we could not have recovered from easily had we heard them as kids ... funny now tho... each time they change a bit which adds to the mystery

i had related the dog cut in half story a while back when dad was riding shotgun in a car with suicide doors..

12. chigger

chigger

13. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

The first Camaro (69) I owned was a one owner from McClure Norrington.

14. My dad bought a '69 Kingswood new from a dealer in Detroit... it went through front tires in about 6 months, so he took it to the dealer, and they couldn't find anything wrong (big surprise), but put a new set of tires on it... The next time the tires wore out, he took it to a tire place, they told him the tie rod was bent in the middle and the adjustments were all the way out, so they couldn't align it... He took it back to the dealer and bitched, they replaced it... Turns out the guy that drove it off the truck fell off the ramp and bent it, got his buddies in the shop to do a quick fix.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Your dad rules.

16. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Not long after getting my liscense, I would occaisionally sneak the "loaner" out of our garage. My Dad had purchased the old Fury new when I was a toddler and cared for it just as well as it approached it's teen years.
    Somehow, he always knew. He never lowered the boom on me right then, but held it in reserve unil I was asking for something special. It was a long time before I figured out what that lone toothpick on the dash was really there for....

17. that kind of thing makes the best stories...no harm, no foul.

18. That was a good story,,,I don't know how long your parents were at the wedding deal but Im guessing a cpl hours or so.
    I'll bet your dads mind was spinning the whole time,trying to focus on the event,but with the red Chevy lurking in there somewhere...
    Do you have any pictures of the actual car?
    Thanks!

19. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Cool story. SOP in dealerships. Worked at one where a new car porter fell in love with a new 75 Torino Elite. Drove for almost a year. Kept it clean and well maintained. Then the higher ups came looking for it at the end of the year. He didnt work there too much longer.

20. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

what a cool story

21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Loved your article and boy does that bring back memories! I got a summer job in '71 at the local Atkins Kroll GM dealership in Tamuning, Guam. Just 16, I'd had my license for about a month. They assigned me to the new car prep area that also cleaned, tuned and prepped trade ins. One of the mechanics taught me how to drive a stick in the shop truck, a Holden 3 on the tree. He also taught me how to speed shift a four speed.
    We had to go down to the port to pick up a shipment of new cars and I wanted to drive that special order '71 SS El Camino, black on black 454 4 speed. Got stuck in a Vega instead. :D Over the summer I perfected my four speed speed shifting in a few of the Vega's, wonder if any of them ever had to come back for trans problems. :eek::eek:

22. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

23. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

That is a great story!

24. Mike

Mike

My dad wasn't a car guy. He spent his high school days in the mid to late '50s living in Waterville, ME. There was a big religous retreat in town with high walls all around it. Folks would come on Friday evening and spend the entire weekend at the retreat, then leave on Sunday afternoon. They would leave their cars parked outside the wall, usually with the keys in the ignition.

My dad and his buddies did not have cars, so when they had dates on Friday or Saturday night, they would "borrow" a car from outside the retreat and return it after the date, adding just enough gas so the owners would not notice. They did this just about every weekend and never got caught.

My dad and his best freind did however get caught stealing signs. During their court appearance, while waiting outside the courtroom, they of course had to steal the "No Smoking In Court" sign. Damn hoods!

25. was new car service amnager and did have comand of mechanics runners and bodyshop. was in 1968 at a chev dealer, would not drive the camaros, a little tin box, vetes were tire smokers, and I did rip out a 4 speed on a SS396 convertable
    we also had a large line up of corvairs with smoked glass, they had burned up inside with the gas heaters
    was a fun time money was little but living was cheep and had a lot of benifits like a wrecker and driver to bring cars to the farm with and junk them
    did some wild and unsafe driving the just back from Nam took a few yearsw to settle down:eek::p:D

26. jjordan

jjordan

My dad was the district rep working for Chevrolet Div in Kansas City during that time frame. Drove an endless string of new Chevys as company cars (he swapped every 6 weeks or so.) The company car was strickly "off limits" to me. When the Blazer came out (67 or 68?) he left it at home while he and mom were away for the weekend and the temptation was too much. Me and my buddies almost drove it into a farm pond out off State Line road (about where the old Leawood Drive In theater was built). I spent the whole day washing and cleaning that Blazer before the 'rents got home. The first time he drove it mud came slinging out from behind the hubcaps, he popped one off and it was packed solid with mud......busted again!

27. Awesome story, thanks for sharing it!

28. We should move this thread into "DEALER STORIES"
    Lots o' good chuckles.

29. sololobo

sololobo

Great tale from your Dad's young and restless days. I drove a used car home from a dealership I worked at and got caught and about lost my job over that . I can relate to him sweatin it. ~sololobo~

30. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Not a dealer car but when my wife and I were dating her fathers rule was she be in the house when he got home from work( that was 1:30 AM)She was 22 but that was his rule and we honored it but let me tell ya we barely honored it! The day of our wedding 7-1-72 he was talking to a bunch of family members and said how we always did as he asked but then lowered the boom with "I don't know how many nights I'd drive in in heavy snow and there would be steam rising off the clear hood of her car!Dad was a great guy just wanted to let us know "he knew"