Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turn signals inside headlights, is that street rod.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BISHOP, Dec 28, 2011.

1. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But seriously, if the bulbs in the headlights are visible while the low beams are on, why not? If anybody would have cared about turnsignals back in the day someone would have done it.
    And correct, the bulb in the V-Dubs was a "parking" light only.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. IN the US Federal Regulations outlawed them in 1955.
    In Europe German laws banned them for "Pedestrian Safety" in 1961

3. white64

white64
    from Maine

My '38 Plymouth had the signals in the headlight pods from the factory..

..I converted them to halogens with amber bulbs in the headlight pod in the factory position, you could see them just fine. If you look at the headlights you can see the signal bulbs...

AND I didn't have to stick a motorcycle signal light somewhere on the front of the car

Attached Files:

4. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Interesting stuff. I've just shaved the light units off the front fenders thank god. Been staring at them for so long i'm suprised i haven't kicked them off by now. Rear reflector units go ton ight aswell, both butt ugly!!

I had planned to run the park light in my new headlights i'm ordering for my Amazon and had thought about adding turn signals. I've done it before on a road going dune buggy but that was many years ago. It all depends on what i can get away with come the UK's yearly test time.

I have some small chrome turn signal units i was going to mount off the lower bumper, would look reasonably okay but up in the headlight would be alot cleaner. I'll have a chat with the tester (hot rod/classic car friendly) and see if it's a goer.

Any limey's getting away with it??

5. BISHOP

BISHOP

I got the turn signals installed in the head light.
    Someone had mentioned spraying a light coat of silver over the amber bulb, to help hide it.
    Well, it worked out really good. You can hardly tell they are in there unless they are lit.

So, if you want amber signals inside your headlight, but dont like the amber bulb showing, airbrush a very light coat of silver on the amber bulb. Hides them very well. Still very bright when lit.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
    V8-m likes this.