Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turn signals inside headlights, is that street rod.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BISHOP, Dec 28, 2011.

1. I run mine inside as well, the are very bright even with the high beam on.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1325179436.557391.jpg

2. That is appropriately called an "Ass Hat" and I resemble that remark. ;)

The only real way to be cool is to be yourself and not worry if anyone likes it or not. Its like James Dean, he wasn't trying to be cool he was just being James Dean. One of the coolest guys that I ever knew was a total freakin' Dork, all the time. He didn't give a flip if anyone thought he was cool or not.

As for Amber lights behind the glass in a stock light I think they have been doing that for a long time, I don't know when they started doing it so I can't give you an era. Cool or not is a mute point, if that is what you want to do then do it and let the chips fall where they may.

3. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I must really be old school, I stick my hand out the window for turns.

Guess at night I should wear reflective gloves but that's not traditional ?

4. I have stick my hand out turn signals and brake lights right now. Buty I do intend to get the brake lights working.

There is a problem with hand signals, people don't know that they are any more. They're are not even mentioned in Missouri drivers manual, not on the test and they don't teach it in drivers ed. They are still legal from what I understand.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I have them in the headlamps of my '35, rather than separate hang-on lamps. Plus the rules here require them (Mandatory) if you want registration. Likewise I made the bottom half of may tail lamp lenses amber for the same reason, again no hang-on lamps.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Exactly right. I remember when folks routinely used hand signals but that was back when we all knew what they meant. Now you don't know if the driver is signaling, flicking a cigarette, scrathing their pits or waving to a friend. Gary

7. I have them inside on the 30, and they are super bright with zinc inserts. Here they are with the park lights on at dusk, and them turned off in the day time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  8. Ice man

Ice man

I have my parking /turn signals in side my commercial headlamps on my 29 Pk Up. Works well.

9. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

Same here, I like em in my headlight buckets on my A Sedan.

10. I usually count fingers, if I see all of them I am a happy camper. :):)

11. But those were the parking lamps, not the turn signals IIRC

Or flicking a booger

12. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

For those of you thinking that the turn signal hidden inside the lense of your head light is a good idea ask your self a question, If grandma or grandpa is driving down the road in the opposite direction to your progress and you want to make a left turn, are they going to understand that your flickering headlite is a turn signal or just think it is a bulb with a bad connection?

To adeqautely have a turn signal installed behind a headlight lense the turn bulb must be shielded from the white light bulb so they can be viewed as two different operations. Most of the units made now day kind of skirt the definition of turn signals and the turn signal flashing inside a headlite really doesnt define that it is a turn signal. What happens when the white lights are on at night and the white light overpowers the directional bulb. It is one of those items that yes it works under some conditions but not necessarily good .

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have a buddy with a '39 that has amber bulbs behind his headlight lenses. It's actually quite obvious when the turn signals are blinking - with the headlights on or off... I don't think he did anything special, but it works for sure.

Anyway, food for thought.

14. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

It doesnt matter if you can or cant see directionals or not in the front. If you cut someone off by crossing the lines and cause an accident its your fault, not your lights or lack there of...
    i.e. Dont cut off grandma and grandpa!!

15. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

The signals/park lamps on my sedan are bright and very visible without drowning out the headlight. When viewed from any angle in the front it's very apparent that a turn signal is flashing rather than a defective headlight.
    Plus... The amber bulbs inside the buckets are barely visible.
    It's hard for me to see a downside to this arrangement and if I had stock headlight assemblies on my roadster I'd set the signals up the same way.
    [​IMG]

16. I'm a Merc guy but have questions about these setups... So they act as turn signals, and at night are they one all the time or only when you are using the turn signal?

I'm not extremely diggin' being able to see the amber bulb in the housing but I need to add some sort of turn signal up front, the other driver's on the road don't remember what the hand gestures mean anymore...

17. gashog

gashog

Same here, very happy with the stock Model A park lamp inside the headlight housing. I did upgrade to halogen headlamps bulbs (run both filaments all the time) because the old reflectors aren't as bright as they once were. No problems passing VA State Inspection. I even put a piezo tweeter across the flasher so I remember to turn off darn clamp-on Signal Stat steering column signal switch!

Attached Files:

18. badshifter

badshifter

Nope. VW's had them until 1960.

19. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

BISHOP what you want to do is real hotroddin, its made by you, its clean as hell.

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Headlamps and parkers are there in normal position in the bucket, all you do is drill another hole on the opposite side of the parker for turn signal plugs. I use a large amber bulb that is not hard to miss when illuminated but discreet enough. It doesn't interfere with headlamp function. I can't remember what wattage bulbs I used.

21. Brewton

Brewton

I have them in my headlights. ImageUploadedByTJJ1325215248.274122.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

22. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Ok Now I didn't say it didn't work. Its a way to get you thru inspection and feel some what safer when turning but the issue develops when you use these at night. Its hard enough to get a good focus on those 40 MPH bulb headlights and then throw an obstruction in the mix. Now if you are right up close its like, man what are you talking about plain as day you can see them lights flashing. Thats not the big picture.

Most Ford conversions A to 36 are in the stock reflector and mix the two bulbs with the reflector. The issue develops as you get further from the vehicle and the white light beam intensity over powers the signal light especailly if you have quartz bulbs. Plus the added bulb has a tendency to produce a dark spot in the already shakey light pattern reflection.

Next time you have your ride out at night check it out, dont stand on top of the light and make a judgement. Stand 500 or 1000 feet down the road and see the result that an oncoming driver would see, that is a distance where decisions are made. In later 37-39 dlx Fords the bucket, refelector and lense spacing is deeper so positioning the directional low and forward of the reflector creates a better separation of light sources. In this stance they are slightly more visible but even then still have some issue as the separation distance between oncoming vehicles increases.

23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Forgot to mention, I use resilvered OEM reflectors with QH inserts made to suit, not a generic bulb with poor focus. Proof of the pudding is in the eating and better than OEM and most sealed beams.

24. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I like the repro Jag lights (flat lenses, tri-bar design) with the light in bottom, I use them for parking lights, I can also run motorcycle bulb that are "hotter" than OEM (50/55) and visability is great.

25. It works just great, the old lights I bought at a swap had 2 sockets. The small one had a single contact I changed to a double with a 1157 amber. Park and turn. And a halogen set of hi low bulbs.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  26. Butch11443

Butch11443

I used the cowl lights on my 31 Ford PK for turnsignals & parking lights. They are great.
    Butch

27. What about an old set of fog lights, just wire them up for turn signals and fog lights (if you want fog lights too). pic is off google not mine.

Attached Files:

28. big creep

big creep

i had a bug with these, they were great when they worked!

29. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Nobody's mentioned these yet, but places like AutoZone sell 1157 bulbs that look chrome when off, and amber when on. You usually see them on tuner cars with the all clear lenses.
    My '29 will probably use these. I like the warm soft glow amber bulbs add to the headlights.

30. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So then, these would be considered traditional . . .

Attached Files: