Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turn signals inside headlights, is that street rod.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BISHOP, Dec 28, 2011.

1. BISHOP

BISHOP

I want to put amber bulbs inside my headlights, not the LED stuff, just the amber bulb showing in the bottom portion of the reflector behind the lens.
    These are original stainless 10" ford lights.

I would put them on top of the housing if that's what all the cool kids are doing, but would rather have them inside.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Put them inside like ya wish too,all them so called cool guy got there butts over there head.
    I'd put'm inside if I had away.:cool:

3. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

go your way forget being cool set the pace.

4. In my mind, the difference between street rod stuff and hot rod stuff is now much metal that needs to be removed from your hands while you fabricate or modify to make something you see looking neat. Build it with what's at hand and have fun with a chop saw or a lathe.
    I know that procedure is a whole lot more fun than looking in a paper catalog or onine to find EASY stuff.

5. I don't really care...I bought a pair of speedway 34 commercial lights for my 5 window and I also bought a kit to put turn signal bulbs in the reflectors.

6. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I did it on the Nash. Costs all of less than $10 for all the parts. I could not come up with a cool look if they were external. I think they came out great!

7. squirrel

squirrel

Just curious, how well can you see them at night when the headlights are on?

although they gotta be easier to see than hand signals

8. Cruiser

Cruiser

Do it it's no biggie much better in the the lights then some ugly ones hanging out somewhere. :D

CRUISER :cool:

9. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

who cares if it is or not, doesnt take away from the look and is safer than not having any.

10. BISHOP

BISHOP

Im with squirrel, can you see them good at night?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  11. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Its traditionally german. Volkswagon bug and porsche had marker lights inside the headlight assembly.
    Note the bulb housing at the bottem of the assembly.
    MrC.

Attached Files:

12. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

I prefer the marker light only near the headlight.
    I feel the turn buld signal gets "washed out" when the hi-beams or low beams with fog lights are on.

I install a pair of LED lights behind the grille at opposite corners, at the top.
    When the headlights are on, there is still enough distance between the two it allows for oncoming traffic to clearly see my turn signal, (if they open thier eyes to look).

13. squirrel

squirrel

And the turn signals were semaphores that stuck out the side of the car behind the door...right?

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it may be practical and eliminate the extra light but I just don't like the look of it when you look at the headlights while looking at the car. And yes it looks a bit too street roddy to me. I had motorcycle turn signals on my T that cost about five bucks for the pair and even though they were right out in the open they didn't stand out except when they were on.

16. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I had to look it up
    sem·a·phore

<SUP></SUP>&#8194; <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>&#8194;/&#712;s&#603;m[​IMG]&#601;&#716;f&#596;r, -&#716;fo&#650;r/ [​IMG] Show Spelled [sem-uh-fawr, -fohr] [​IMG] Show IPA noun, verb, -phored, -phor·ing.
    noun 1. an apparatus for conveying information by means of visual signals, as a light whose position may be changed.

2. any of various devices for signaling by changing the position of a light, flag, etc.

3. a system of signaling, especially a system by which a special flag is held in each hand and various positions of the arms indicate specific letters, numbers, etc.

17. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I put the signals inside the stock headlite buckets on my model A sedan with halogen kits from Speedway. They aren't noticeably visible when looking at the car but they work well and that's what's important to me.

I added small accessory type turn signals behind the grille shell on my A roadster. It's not on the road yet, so I can't say how effective they'll be, but I think they'll be plenty visible without sticking out like a sore thumb.

18. squirrel

squirrel

google images is a good place to look up what I'm talking about

[​IMG]

19. I have them in my Model A headlights. I think it was an option when I got new reflectors from CW Moss.

20. GUMMEDUP CARBINATOR

GUMMEDUP CARBINATOR
    from Detroit

I had the same conflicted thoughts on my car, a '32 with '34 commercial lamps and turnsignals inside.

I did a couple small modifications that improve the look : first of all 1157 bulbs come in either yellow or a dark amber. Get the dark amber as they emit a great warm glow when used as parking lamps that have the look of an old 6V headlamp. Really a cool look .

Secondly, dust a light coat of silver spray paint on the bulbs to make them less noticable in daylight , light output reduction is very minor.

M

21. The amber bulb in a sealed beam headlight has never been in German bugs
    or Porsches. It was a short-term compromise, for the
    export cars. US and German legal differences.
    The "Nipple-Indicators", the seperate lights next to the headlight
    were the better solution til the regular new indicators
    atop the wing came.
    The visibility was weak, indeed

Cheers

22. belair

belair

They look a lot better in the headlight than those cheesy motorcycle turn lights some folks stick on. My dad called those semaphore turn indicators "mach nichts sticks"

23. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

I run amber park light bulbs inside the buckets on my '35 Ford, and they are also wired as turn signals. They are not as visible (as signals) as something on a new car, especially at night when the headlights are also in use, but I think it's a nice compromise that provides at least some additional safety without disturbing the overall look of the car.

24. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Semaphores went out in the 50s. Maybe late 40s.

25. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

I would have to agree and add that I like the 'visual busy-ness' of an early Ford front end where everything is exposed. The 'smooth' look has no appeal for me although I must admit it was considered for a while re: headlight bucket inserts.
    I found a pair of Wilcoq-Bottin cowl lights (Belgium) on a certain auction website for cheap and put in Model A cowl light lenses and they are now my turn signals. very visible in all conditions....

[​IMG]

26. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

It's a clean simple solution and IMHO dont look "Street Rod" to me.

Attached Files:

27. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Kind of, streetrods have modern features, everything else is about the powertrain.

28. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

34 Commercials w/ amber turn signals inside here.
    The traditional police can spot the amber bulb when parked. There are LED bulbs that can be substituted that are clear when not in use but amber when powered up. Can't tell they are even there when parked.

29. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If you are talking about the original reflectors that Ford had,(duolamp) then go for it. If you are talking about a streetrod headlight with the turn signals in the chrome retaining ring then no I don't like them at all. I don't care for the add on kit to use in stock Ford headlights either.

What? Have they been on the market over 15 years? Is that traditional. It sure isn't for me. I'm dedicated to "spreading the gospel" They are not in my religious literature.

There are too many old possibilities than to buy 1 800 parts made in China just because they are easy. Easy isn't always better. When I see them on a hotrod I personally think the builder is lazy and not very creative.

I don't worry too much about the front turn signals. I don't pull out in front of cars until I'm sure of what the approaching car is doing. Now the rears are a different story.

I know, I'm an opinionated old fart. Deal with it!

30. That's a good one from your dad!haha..
    It is even worse, because instead of "mach nichts" - doing nothing -
    they were often doing little, namely popping out half and faintly glowing,
    which is the ultimate disgrace at every corner..
    Today, restored and on 12V they work.