Register now to get rid of these ads!

installing 56' chevy truck windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Jul 15, 2010.

1. guys, need the glass folks to chime in on installing a windshield in a 56' chevy truck. new glass and gasket thanks:D:D

2. belair

belair

Be sure to put the stainless (if any) surround in the gasket BEFORE you put the WS and gasket in. Lube everthing up with soapy water or hand cleaner, (non abrasive), run a cord (not too thick, and a thin one will cut the rubber - like a closeline) around the groove that seats the WS in the body. Start the center of the cord at the center of the gasket-(you already have wrestled the gaskt/seal onto the WS) and feed it in the groove. Now you have the two ends meeting in the center of the BOTTOM of the WS. Set the glass in place (center the WS in the opening),and gently, evenly pull the cord out from inside the truck. It will pull the gasket over the metal lip. The corners can be a little fussy, but be patient and gently push/pull on the WS to get it to fit. The WS will settle down onto the lip of the frame, (that's why you started at the bottom) and you will be looked upon as a minor god by those who don't better. NEVER use a screwdriver or metal tool to work or pry the rubber into posiion. A paint stick or other wooden or plastic tool is the ONLY safe way to do this. Have fun. The glass is tougher than you think and can be persuaded to move a little with some smacks of the hand, but if you try to John Wayne it in there, you can break it. Just don't get the glass in a bind or expect it to bend.

3. good instructions above but would like to add. this year trucks have a wide lip often called a double lip. the rope is only good for the first lip. only go from the center of the bottom and about 4-6 inches up the side. then work the second part over the pinch weld. I lift up on the lip and apply pressure down.
    the top will never go in till the bottom is completly seated. it helps if you have some one one the outside pulling down on the glass

4. belair

belair

Good to know-I've only seen the single lip, but have a 58 Apache that needs a windshield. l

5. The last one I did was in a '63 Chevy truck and I did what belair wrote, almost down to the letter. I used a nylon clothesline and silicone spray.

First, the gasket comes totally out and gets completely cleaned, then gets installed in the opening. A few squirts of silicone goes into the channel. The rope gets a good coat of spray too.

If you plan on doing any paint work, skip the silicone and use a non-silicone based soap. Wait for a hot day so the gasket is pliable. I've kept the gasket indoors until the last second on cooler days.

Bob

6. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

GET NEW GLASS! The old glass is too finicky and will probably crack due to its age,as well as let everything set in the sun for awhile I have found that to help alot! And like belair said HAVE FUN!

7. glass and seal are new!:D

8. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I always liked to have two people doing this, one outside directing and hand slapping the windshield (like was mentioned before) and someone on the inside pulling the rope.

Another thing I always do, is cross measure the windshield opening before putting windshields in. I watched a guy at work one day break three windshields, before another guy and I walked over and measured the opening; which was out of square. We jacked the top over and the next windshield went in with no problems.

9. I don't want to add confusion. there is only one lip but it's a 1/2 inch wide. when you pull the rope the thickness of the lip it self doesn't allow the windshield to seat properly and you need to go back by hand with a little help from a hook tool (cotter pin remover) and get the bottom seated. then you can pull the glass down enough to get the sides and top in.