Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carter AFB ID and tuning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOOB, Mar 22, 2010.

1. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Base number reads 78 79635SA. The best I can determine after hours of online research is that its a 9635sa 625cfm Carter clone. Clone? It came in an orange Carter box with the now valuable (to me) Carter instructions and stickers that I THREW AWAY WHEN I WAS A DUMBASS 15yr OLD!!!!

I'm assuming that an Edelbrock 1400 - 1405 is the closest I'll get to a modern version. Will an Edelbrock 1479 calibration kit fit my carb?

It's running a bit rich and hates the low idle vacuum.

2. saltracer219

saltracer219

The carbs are very close to the same . What you have there is a Carter 625 cfm afb. calibrated from the factory for a 350 Chev. There are some slight internal differences between the Carter and the Edelbrock, both run very well. All the Edelbrock afb jets and metering rods will interchange as well as most of the other parts

3. carbking

carbking

The 9635s would be genuine Carter.

The 9635sa is a CLONE

SOME, but certainly not ALL, Carter AFB jets are interchangeable with other Carters (there are 3 different jet heights).

Trying to interchange Carter AFB rods without checking them out carefully is an exercise in futility! Carter made 4 different length rods; and additionally had at least 22 DIFFERENT step lengths, not to mention the fact they used 2-step, 3-step, and yes, 4-step rods in different applications for special purposes.

No comment on the clone parts other than I tried once to use them; never again.

Jon.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

So, where did/do these 'clones' originate?

Ray

5. carbking

carbking

Federal Mogul bought Carter to disassemble (the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole).

After the purchase, the clones originated from Federal Mogul accountants, not the Carter engineers.

As Federal Mogul owned Carter, the very first clones (by the Federal Mogul accountants) were sold as Carter, with the change in the identification number suffix to denote the change.

There are MANY differences comparing the 9635s and the 9635sa.

Jon

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    Tman likes this.
  6. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Can anyone tell me where I can find an AFB parts list specifically a metering rod list. I cant find my fuckin rod number ANYWHERE!

Just in case you're my hero my metering rods are 16-W8500

7. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Well that's just lovely. I can't catch a break to save my ass. I love to learn new things and really love a mechanical challenge but not when I need it NOW.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

did you do a search here before posting question? lots of info already posted, especially by carbking. I just bought a like new AFB 9637S for my SBF 302 that I have not installed yet.

9. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

Just sent the pm when I saw this!
    The carb is still worthwhile, call around and find a strip kit, should have instructions and everything you need short of a rebuild.

10. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

I did but I felt like I needed a more specific response. I'm not trying to sound rude, sorry if I did.

11. carbking

carbking

In addition to adding the "A" suffix to the carburetor number, Federal Mogul changed all the rod numbers when the bean-counters redid the AFB. I have never seen a printed factory list of the new numbers (nor a complete factory list of the old numbers). We spent thousands of manhours going through the old Carter blueprints and now have an excellent database for genuine Carter parts, but have no intention of doing likewise for the clones.

BUT, you don't really NEED to understand the numbers. Use a micrometer, and measure the rod(s) at the various steps. For sure there will be a power (low vacuum) step (normally approximately the 0.185~0.250 on the tip of the rod); and a economy (high vacuum) step (normally from about 0.900 from the end of the rod BACK down to wherever the step starts on that particular rod).

The micrometer is MUCH MORE USEFUL THAN THE CHART!

But more importantly, is application. The 9635s (Carter) was designed to run well on high-RPM engines (ie Chevy small block). They didn't work worth a *&^% on a high-torque low-RPM engine like a Pontiac 400. The complete calibration is totally different.

Oh, and to the gentleman who said he sent a PM. If you sent it to me, PLEASE call rather than PM. Will be happy to attempt to answer your question (no clone questions please) via telephone. 573-392-7378 (9-4 Mon-Wed central time).

Jon.

12. Mavman427

Mavman427

Sorry to resurrect an old thread here, but has anybody had any luck rebuilding a Carter 9635SA carb? From the sounds of it, this is a "clone" carburetor of dubious design and may or may not have a rebuild kit available. I have one in need of a rebuild and I'd hate to just throw it in the trash.

13. Myloth

Myloth

9635SA carb is NOT a clone Federal mogul bought Carter years ago and sold Carter as the 9000 series through catalogs like Summit etc as performance Carb. The A at the end stands for Automatic Choke lol not clone!

14. carbking

carbking

The second letter is the engineering status code.

In Carterspeak, there were "parts" and "assemblies".

An idle mixture screw is a "part" (one single item).

A needle and seat is an "assembly" (composed of 3 or 4 parts - needle, seat, gasket, sometimes clip).

The letter "S" was appended to the part number for all assemblies.

Thus an idle mixture screw might be a 30A-81. (No "S", single part).

A needle and seat might be a 25-196s (assembly).

Note that all carburetors are composed of more than one part, thus they are assemblies, and the letter "S" is appended. Example 9635s.

If Carter made a mild engineering change, a second letter was appended to the "S". The first engineering change was an "A", the second a "B", etc.

The highest number of changes of which I am aware is four. A few carburetors have 4 changes, the most common being the 938sd.

When Federal Mogul bought Carter, the aftermarket AFB carbs were resigned in order to compete with Holley in price (genuine Carters WERE more expensive). The numbering on the carbs then in production was changed. Federal Mogul did come out with some additional models (9605s being one).

We were a "warehouse distributor" for Carter then FM during this time. After the carburetor change, we dropped our distributorship.

(Opinion) If Carter had marketed the genuine AFB's as aggresively as the clones are being marketed, Carter would still be in business!

And Mavman - the clone kits should fit.

Jon.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    302GMC likes this.