Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech - Hemi Engine Mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Apr 22, 2009.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here it is! I can finally add this catagory to the Index!! The ultimate Early Hemi engine mount thread! Post your pictures, post your ideas, tell us your sources, show off your work! This has come up so many times and I'm excited to finally add this!

1) Examples and pics
    2) General construction
    3) Positioning tech
    4) Different type available off the shelf
    5) Hemi mounting angles and all relavent information
    6) Applications for front mounting and what's appropriate

Here's some threads to get it kicked off!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353387&highlight=hemi+mounts

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326072&highlight=hemi+mounts

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293866&highlight=hemi+mounts

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105760&highlight=hemi+mounts

I even started a few way back...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201892&highlight=hemi+mounting

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263683&highlight=hemi+mounting

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179286&highlight=hemi+mounting

And I of course have to post a picture of Brian Bass' creation! Art in engine mounting!

[​IMG]

Go crazy! Adding this link to the Hemi Tech Index as well!

2. lolife

lolife

I went wth the hot heads mounts on my 55 270 (you can see mine are from the first batch where they didn't start machining them yet to lose some weight).

The advantage here, being a GM small block water pump adaptor and engine mount at the same time.

I also went with a short-snout cam from hot heads, and their cast aluminum timing cover, along with the 340 harmonic balancer. Internals are fully balanced from the flex-plate to the balancer. Very smooth running engine.

My theme is basically a cast-look, so I have raw cast look on aluminum and cast-blast (iron-glimmer powder-coat) on all the cast iron.

I probably should have sand-blasted the motor mounts but I was too lazy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the mounts Brian Bass made for the Wade Coupe...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some put together by Troy, from Hollywood Hot Rods, for his 32 Roadster. I believe he said they started out life as mounts from PAW and he added his own twist to them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got more. I'll keep digging...

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about Dave's (Littleman's) 392 mounts on Death's Doorstep. Maybe Dave can chime in and tell us more about front mounting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Nice one Scoot !!

Im gonna be fabbing my mounts up up so that I dont have to blow off the FH mounts that are already on the chassis.

More tech......yeah !!

Rat

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got more tech coming and it will be some stuff I know YOU will be involved with! :)

8. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Tubular mounts with urethane bushings by Ronnie Gagnon.

Attached Files:

9. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Those are some cool mounts in this thread already.
    I'm currently rebuilding my 392 to be put in the '62 wagon I got, but I'm almost tempted to start building a hotrod and put the Hemi in that so I can build similar cool looking mounts for it... that is, if I had the skills ofcourse :rolleyes:

10. 4tford

4tford

Got these at speedway nothing fancy but they do the job.

Attached Files:

11. drflex

drflex

littlemans coupe uses a nicson mount from a boat.

12. jsrail

jsrail

I just picked up a '55 331 C300 that has "Hurst" brand mounts. I'll have to see if I have a pic.

13. I made these...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Besty34 likes this.
  14. krooser

krooser

CE makes a nice set of mounts... I believe that's where Hot heads gets theirs.

15. cretin

cretin

I would be interested in positioning tech. I should be building motor mounts and setting up placement for my DeSoto hemi soon. Haven't exactly done my research yet but I'm not sure how much room I will need in front the block.
    Keeping an eye on this one.

16. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I have a set of NOS Hurst mounts I'm using on my '32 project, I need to get some pics of them up. Talk about early and crude!

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Positioning as in left to right or front to back? Angle?

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

always a great thread.

19. After VERY carfully measuring everything imaginable, then checking everything again, the guy that built my frame in Dunkirk, NY (Fast Times Rods) welded in these mounts. At the time, I was in FL for the Winter, and this was all done over the phone and through emails. When I got back and started the build, EVERYTHING was exactly on the money...to the extent that the engine/transmission dropped right in and bolted up perfectly as did the body location relative to the engine...

Attached Files:

20. M.Edell

M.Edell

excellent post!! Thanks

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Remember these Scooter? These were the first Hemi mounts I made and have been proven to handle all the abuse I have thrown at this engine thus far! Hahahaha!!!!

[​IMG]

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So they're called "Hemi mounts" now, huh? Glad to hear they handle all the abuse you give them. :D:D:D

23. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Mounts I have offered in the past. Dodge, Chrysler, and Dodge again.

Attached Files:

24. llonning

llonning

Damn you Scooter!! I may not be running a Hemi (yet), but now I have to rethink my frame mounts. Seen some here already that look better than what I had planned.

Thanks for the help, I always like to improve things, especially if I haven't got that far yet..

Len

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YES! Damn me! I agree! I hurt MYSELF on this one also. I had already made my mounts when I started this thread and now I want to throw them away and start over. UHG! :rolleyes:

26. ezdusit

ezdusit

I'm putting a 241 hemi into a '32 Plymouth. I didn't want to convert the water pump to the newer chevy style, so I decided to stay with the A-frame type front motor mount. My friend Deron Shady just finished the tack welding of the new frame mounts we plan to use to support the A-frame (which I found on Ebay). These will be finished nicely, but thought everyone might enjoy seeing the progress...[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  27. jsrail

jsrail

Nice set-up. Are the 270's mounted the same way? My '56 315 Dodge has side motor mounts and my 270 came out of a '56 Dodge station wagon and was given to me, but it's at someone else's house and I can't remember how the mounts looked.

I was thinking of making it a 270 Hemi (it's now a Poly) and sabing it for some small hot rod someday.

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

just made these for a customers hemi in 31A

[​IMG]

29. Here are mine - made sure that I had the motor in the frame and measured everything down to the 1/16th. With this style of mount, there is no room to adjust (up/down, forward/backward) - which is the way I wanted it. I'm trying to tie the engine and frame together as much as possible - to add strength to the entire thing. Everything was fabbed from 3/16 steel - using Pete and Jakes Poly bushings in the middle.

Finished3 copy.jpg

Finished4 copy.jpg

EngineBlockMount3 copy.jpg

CompleteMotorMount_Top2 copy.jpg

CompleteMotorMount_Bottom3 copy.jpg

CompleteMotorMount_Top4 copy.jpg

06/17/2010 - Update: Decided to fill the top of the mounts - just looks cleaner (off they went to be chromed - 6 weeks later I'll get them back!):

Updated1 copy.jpg

Updated2 copy.jpg

Updated3 copy.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  30. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=812136&d=1257952752

I just have to comment - these don't look anywhere nearly as strong as I think they could/should be (especially with a heavy blown motor)? What wall thickness is that tubing and it it just welded to the inside boxing plate - or did he make it go through the boxing plate and pickup the outside rail? I'd at least have a gusset that picks up the bottom of the tube and then is welded to the rest of the boxing plate. Maybe I tend to over-engineer things (is my nature), but this makes me nervous to say the least.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009