Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinning Rustoleum? Mineral spirits ok?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Frank

Frank

I had read about the $50 paint jobs and thought I'd use the same method for my chassis. I bought the Rustoleum semi-gloss black. The can says to thin with "Acetone and not gasoline, paint thinner, laquer thinner and etc". Most of what I have read people have been using mineral spirits. Just wanted to question once more before I paint the exposed portion of my frame since I want it to look nicer. Hate to mix something that will never dry.

2. hoof

hoof

The can I am using says acetone or mineral spirits.
    CHAZ

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Used mineral spirits to thin the rustoleum and paint the roof and fenders on my pickup.
    Dried fine. Holding up well..
    [​IMG]

4. daddylama

daddylama

i've only sprayed rustoleum, never the roll-on method...

for spray i used "fast drying" lacquer thinner multiple times with great results on cool days.... mineral spirits on warm days...
    acetone once, didn't get good results (but hear it's the way to go with roll-on)

5. RF

RF

Rustoleum makes their own thinning agent, but if I'm not mistaken, it's just a dolled up can of X-brand thinner (mineral spirits) that costs twice as much. I've been trying to finish spraying a 60-ft gate/fence out back, and w/o thinning the paint (Hammertone) at least 4:1, it comes out too thick. I guess the difference between using acetone vs. mineral spirits depends on the "type" of Rustoleum you're using.

6. leadsled01

leadsled01

I used mineral spirits to thin my rustoleum. Also used some "japan drier" just to make sure it hardened up alittle sooner. Rolled on fine.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I did it, it takes a while to dry if it is cold out, otherwise went on real nice. I think it was thinned 15%.

8. Rusty

Rusty

Lets see some pics, ihave not seen it sense it left Steves

9. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

I sprayed it thinned with acetone with great results. did a two tone 59 f100 with it.

10. noboD

noboD

Frank it's been a while since I sprayed Rustolem, but I've sprayed it unthinned. I thingk like was suggested they recommend slight thinning, like 15%. The only trouble I've had sprying unthinned is it takes a long time to dry, keep the flys awayor you'll have to break off their legs.

11. Ive used it with fast dry Laquer thinner....I realize its an oil base finish,But after a little stirring- it will thin it fine.
    Then once sprayed ,it levels nicely and speeds the dry time by evaporating quicker than the mineral spirits...
    It also does something for the hardness of the finish......I especially like the results with satin black for a parts coating.

12. I used mineral spirits, I hope you checked out my thread about it to try and stay ahead of the bubbles...lol

13. 47 Tudor Guy

47 Tudor Guy

I did my chassis and floor pans - I thinnned with acetone. It sprayed just fine.

14. Anyone tried Zylene? Works really good with the Duplicolor Alkyde enamels, and I've spayed some flat black Rustoleum that came out a real nice semi-gloss. This stuff isn't as hot as lacquer thinner, but a lot hotter than Mineral spirits, good combination, and available at the home improvement store nearest you.