Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1920 T Roadster Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

This is going to be a sweatheart of a car.

2. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks a lot, fellas. It is getting there, which is exciting.

Here's todays update: A lot of heating, bending, adjusting, welding and fitting the car to my big self.

First up was finishing the rear brake rods. Wendell put gussets made from a scrapped brake rod and zapped them in.

(Click photos for larger images)

P7240550.JPG

P7240551.JPG

P7240582.JPG

P7240583.JPG

P7240561.JPG

P7240568.JPG

P7240587.JPG

We could have run them on an angle, like an A would have. However, like mentioned somewhere previously, we chose to keep them closer to the body side/frame rails. The gussets get rid of any "stretch" that'd be allowed by ungusseted bends.

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

A few more overall brake rod shots.

P7240583.JPG

P7240585.JPG

Next up, brake pedals.

The stock A pedals needed to be changed. In stock form they'd hit the firewall and the motor mount.

P7240527.JPG

Above are the stock pedals. We decided to heat and bend the the pedals and the cut off the excess steel behind the pedal.

P7240536.JPG

P7240538.JPG

One bent, one to go.

P7240548.JPG

P7240541.JPG

P7240542.JPG

P7240539.JPG

Next, the foot pads need to be cut off.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  4. -Brent-

-Brent-

Once the foot pads were cut off, everything was cleaned, prepped and welded. They need to be cleaned up and will get any additional attention when the car is broken down to be finished.

P7240549.JPG

Measuring so that each pedal is symmetrical.

P7240552.JPG

Torch.

P7240563.JPG

This is how much we removed from each pedal.

P7240555.JPG

Ready to be prepped for the pedals.

P7240554.JPG

P7240556.JPG

P7240566.JPG

They look like they came that way.

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

Next was tackling some of the steering issues.

P7240522.JPG

The stock A pitman arm needed to be modified to fit a narrower frame and changed steering angle. As well, it came close to a rivet hear as the pitman moved back toward the firewall.

P7240523.JPG

P7240525.jpg

The two next photos chow how we heated and moved the steering arms in the front. They were not workable after our first bend and needed some attention. Now there is plenty of clearance for everything to function appropriately.

P7240529.JPG

P7240530.JPG

Below you can see the angle between the pitman and steering arm.

P7240533.jpg

6. E HANSEN13

E HANSEN13

Nice i like it great job...

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

P7240560.JPG

Brakes?

P7240577.JPG

P7240594.JPG

Wendell's guard dogs.

P7240526.JPG

The new column mount that ties into the firewall. There'll also be a light-weight mount on the dash. The mount is going to get shaped up to look less conspicuous as a fabricated part.

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the shifter had been heated and bent and is now out of the way of my knees and the steering wheel. Also, it shouldn't be terrible for a passenger either. I can't wait to put my Lucky knob that I got from Kirk!

Anyhow... here are some overall shots of the car. Mock-up is almost complete.

P7240612.JPG

P7240610.JPG

P7240597.JPG

P7240608.JPG

P7240611.JPG

P7240602.JPG

P7240576.JPG

P7240607.JPG

P7240609.JPG

9. Awesome Brent! It really looks neato!

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, man. It's great to see it come along and to evolve into what was planned.

When we adjusted the steering arms, it raised the ball ends up slightly. There is only about 5/8" space between the top of the rod and the frame. The plan is to notch it and put tubing in for aesthetics. The red outline shows what we're going to do.

P7240593.JPG

P7240591.JPG

Also, sorry for the pic quality. I've got a new camera and it's finicky, to say the least. I've got to learn how to use it... and the directions just don't cut it.

11. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

You know.....you could of left them as they were and added a new dimension to the phrase "Pedal to the metal".;)

This is great stuff Brent. I'm really enjoying your build.

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

Hahaha, there'd be no stopping or shifting with that set-up! :D

Thanks for the complement, it's appreciated.

13. GARY?

GARY?

I like the exhaust, the mechanical brakes, the stance, the body style. Hell I like the whole damn thing.

Not sure how I've been missing this one.

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks a bunch for the compliment. Your car has become a fixture on my work computer screensaver. I'd actually love a few detail pics of how you set up your throttle pedal & linkage.

The set of wheels I'll be running are 21" (which I think is what you're running). I just need to get them blasted so they can be painted and fitted with my tires. Unsure if I want to run them black or another color.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  15. dsr_54

dsr_54

Looks awesome Brent. Keep up the good work. I have always been a Model T fan.

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Too cool! I'm starting on a speedster for a client of mine right now that will end up "A" powered. Good to see what you went through to get it all mounted and in. I'll be keeping an eye on your thread from here on out.

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks... I've come to realize that if you like hot rod Model Ts then you pretty much like Model T bodies because everything else gets upgraded. Unless you're Clayton (Mr. ModelT) who seems to pull off a HOT T without doing so.

Know what's cooler? I got this sick Legion Lucky knob to go on it! I do want a Legion Sticker if they're ever produced... it'd completely fit in on the passenger side of the windshield.

Thanks man! Wendell and I bounced a lot of ideas on things (like the way to mount the engine in a narrow frame) but the simplest idea always prevailed. Unfortunately, we didn't always come up with easiest idea first... luckily we were patient enough to think things through.

Outback likes this.
  19. Man, that's lookin real good! T's are so solid. I totally dig the style.

20. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thank you.

21. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Brent, Looks like you are getting a lot done on your "T". Hope you are able to get it done for Bonneville. I hope to be there to check one off of my Bucket List ! Won't have the Hot Rod but I'll be there.

22. -Brent-

-Brent-

The only way the car could be there would be if it were trailered. I don't see that happening. It would have been great... but there's A LOT more to do.

I am picking it up this weekend to bring it back down to Salt Lake. I'm eager to dive into all the finish stuff but, realistically, there's no way that I'd be able to get it done... and certainly not to the standard I'd like this car to be.

23. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Brent, You are right on about your car. Don't be hasty trying to get it done for Bonneville. Next year it will be finished and makin' them drool as you tool on by. Looking forward to the finished product.

24. -Brent-

-Brent-

We'll have to exchange information before you head out to Bonneville, so we can meet up.

I skipped the LA Roadsters show this year but I'm planning on going back in 2011 with a car, either this or the 26 Roadster. I think that'd be a fun place to bring the car and see what people think, as well it'd be cool to meet up with a bunch of Cali folk I've met through this car and the H.A.M.B.

On another note, this morning I checked the Photoshop thread, where I had put in a request to see my car in a 1938 Ford color. I was certain the car would be black, but now seeing what James D. has done, man, I don't know?

Let me know what you think!

[​IMG]

AND Thanks James D. You are a ruler, buddy! It is really appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Oh yeah. I'd been periodically checking the Photoshop thread to see what you got, but I encountered it here first. That looks great. It would look even greater with the engine painted the same straw yellow as the wheels.

Is that Washington Blue?

-Dave

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I would second the engine same color as the wheels. The blue and straw looks good, but maybe a bit tame. How about black with apple green wheels and engine block?

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

Not sure what it'd be considered in Photoshop terms but it's something close to that sample I provided on the thread, which was a washington blue color chip.

As far as the wheels and engine being the same, I don't think I could pull that off and keep the "salt car" vibe. Too "tame" as Need Louvers termed it.

Apple Green, I didn't know that was the name of the engine color. I do plan on putting the engine back to that stock color. As for the 21" wheels, they have no color on them yet. I'm pretty plain and would most likely go with black but "straw" is an option too. I don't think the three colors would all work together so if I go with "Straw" wheels the engine would have to be black... and if I went with "Apple" on the banger then the wheels have to be black.

Did that green ever come on the wheels? I can't recall it.

28. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I think this is the color scheme Need Louvers is proposing:

[​IMG]

I don't care for it myself. It's too '60s-does-'20s for me.

Triple black would look great on your car - especially with a tomato-red engine block. If you want to stick with the stock Model A engine block color, I'd be inclined toward a stock Model A body-and-wheels paint scheme. Black with straw wheels would look good.

-Dave

29. -Brent-

-Brent-

That's apple green, got it. That color doesn't fit my pre-war 1938-42 build concept. I agree it's a later build-style color, well on that car it is anyway. Anything other than black is a pretty big departure for me so suggesting bright colors is foreign... and intimidating too.

I do like the idea of a dark blue. I'm going to look at some cars/colors of the era maybe that'll give me a better idea.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  30. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Maroon with black wheels and blackwalls is an iconic late-1930s look to me. A black engine would look good in such a combination, or perhaps an off-white/cream (to better show oil leaks).

-Dave