Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1920 T Roadster Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Great stuff Brent!
    Good detailed pictures of the work! :D

2. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks fellas. Wendell is the man when it comes to welding, I couldn't have gotten anywhere without him.

I admire good build-threads and often refer back for references. I try to emulate that since I've gotten so much from them. My photo skills could use some work since it seems like I get one of 3 photos I take to be useable. :D Maybe they'll get better with the next build? Thank god for digital cameras!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Click on the photos to see them larger.

P7050449.JPG

This is the plate fabbed to mount the steering box. We decided to go with an A steering box with a RHD sector shaft and worm gear. The pitman will face up. I've never heard or seen of anyone to have ever do this, so, I'll let you know how it works out.

Below are photos of the current state of the brake rods. The fronts were extended by about 8 inches.

P7050462.JPG

These bends were put in for several reasons. It keep the rods more straight and closer to the frame/body. These are NOT done. There will be steel rod (the same sized used) as gussets at the bends so that when brake pressure is applies the rod "thinks" it is straight.

No steel to finish that today. We went on to some other projects. See some more details below of the rods.

P7050448.JPG

P7050481.JPG

P7050483.JPG

P7050514.JPG

P7050513.JPG

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  4. -Brent-

-Brent-

Next was the chopping and leaning back of the windshield. Or as Wendell put it, "Fabbing 101." I had a bunch of parts from a few different years to combine to make what I wanted.

Those that aren't familiar with Model T differences wouldn't notice the changes, or that is, how things are mixed and matched. When it's all painted up it'll look like a chopped and leaned wind screen. Mission accomplished!

Here's what we did.

P7050456.JPG

P7050455.JPG

We took 23-25 stanchions and a great 23-25 lower frame (still has the channel for the glass) and zipped off the stanchions at the top of the lower frame.

P7050453.JPG

Next, after some measuring. We cut off more than half of the upper frame from a late teens (to 20s?) frame. Inside this space a new threaded piece will be installed, rather than fumbling with the old pieces which were a little worse for wear.

Although they could have been used, it'll be nice to be able to take the screws out at a later date to make repairs and such.

P7050454.JPG

Here it is, the new top windscreen frame. A little more than 3" of glass on the top.

P7050460.JPG

Once the upper frame was set we could figure how much to chop off the "other" stanchions. Once cut, we plopped them up there for a photo.

P7050463.JPG

P7050464.JPG

The stanchions (both sets) taper toward the top. So some pie cuts needed to be made.

P7050465.JPG

P7050466.JPG

Then another test.

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

Both sides got the same treatment. Then, a bunch of eying and using the artistic thumb and such until we felt like things were where they should be. We did some measuring too but the "thumb" thing worked so well. :D

Wendell tacked them up while I asked a ton of welding questions. Below are a some welded pics (before being ground down).

P7050477.JPG

P7050478.JPG

Next came leaning the windscreen back. Which, to me, was the icing on the cake. It was a little tricky since the door side measure differently then the driver's on these T's. But that's where the "squinting" technique comes into play.

P7050473.JPG

P7050468.JPG

After cuts and re-cuts we got the stanchions leaned back to where I wanted them. There's enough room between the glass and the wheel, if I were to have my hand up there.

P7050487.JPG

We took apart and assembled the windshield at least a 8 or 9 times to get the fit correct.

One of my favorite comparisons. Meet Wendell. :D

P7050475.JPG

After all the welding some grinding took place. The combination of the two stanchions isn't noticeable other than the top one is slightly wider. It will get softened up and be unnoticeable once painted.

P7050485.JPG

P7050496.JPG

P7050501.JPG

P7050471.JPG

Below are a couple other shots for perspective.

P7050509.JPG

P7050508.JPG

P7050515.JPG

P7050489.JPG

Lil'Alb likes this.
  6. ahh man that car is the nuts! a pre war T gow job is deffinatly on the cards after my A gow is done!

7. lorodz

lorodz

sweet work..keep it up

8. Update, update, update..... Now, Now, Now!!!! :D:D

Haha

Awesome build Brent it has inspired me.... I went and bought a '25 T cowl top and firewall to build a roadster I may ask for measurements so I can fab the rest. (another late 40s lakes roadster build :rolleyes:)

keep up the great work, you'll have this done before I finish my '25 Chev

Attached Files:

• 12.JPG
      12.JPG
      File size:
      52.4 KB
      Views:
    • 13.JPG
      13.JPG
      File size:
      32.2 KB
      Views:
  9. im thinking a Gow Job HAMB Group is in order as there so many cool rides coming out the woodwork lately

10. GuyW

GuyW

The rod "will think" that the force is in a straight line from clevis to clevis, because it is - no matter how many bends or straight sections are in between....

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Also, the exhaust was buttoned up.

DSCN1725.JPG

A few weeks ago, I had a muffler shop make a new down-pipe because the original was too thin to weld to. The 36 torque tube was trimmed and welded and below is the result.

P7050503.JPG

P7050505.JPG

P7050504.JPG

The last thing to get done was to open up the hole in the firewall to accommodate the Model A column.

P7050499.JPG

P7050500.JPG

The column mount is going to be made from a radius rod mount on a torque tube. For now, it's floating.

P7050507.JPG

That's all for this update!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  12. -Brent-

-Brent-

I don't know, Jimmy. I've got a lot more to do. This is only the mock-up. Then I'll be breaking it down and prepping it for paint, some extra body work will be in order, sandblast the frame and reassemble, new wood, wiring... etc., etc., etc.

Thanks a bunch, fellas!

There is! Check out the Model T Hot Rod Social Group. There are a bunch of members and some cool cars, as well.

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

A shot from each side of the front. Rear brake rods are tucked in well.

P7050511.JPG

P7050510.JPG

14. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Brent and Jimmy
    you two guys should try to meet up In August when Jimmy
    is over for bonneville!
    Jimmy is one of the most knowledgeable dry lakes guy on the HAMB, and you Brent are one of the nicest hosts out there.
    And you know that if I could be there I'd be over in a flash especially to be able to go for a fang in what is turning out to be a great gow job

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

Hey thanks... and yes, Jimmy and I will have to meet up. However, my goal to have the car ready for Bonneville is not going to be met. There's just too much to do and not enough time with all the other stuff I have going on. Plus, I am really happy with the quality of the car and don't want to cut any corners by rushing.

16. Neat little roadster man!

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, Tman!

18. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

wicked! looks like you will be tearing up the salt soon!

19. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

A thought on the steering: the stock Model A is a press on- could you rotate it 90 degrees or flip it up side down or both or?????
    To much for me to figure out- help!

20. -Brent-

-Brent-

I assume you're talking about the pitman arm? Yes it can be switched and, at the moment, it is. However, switching the pitman from the down position to the up postion reverses the action of the box. Meaning, when the pitman faces up and I turn the steering wheel to the right, the car will turn to the left. :D

The RHD (Right Hand Drive) steering parts "should" take care of the above-referenced issues.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  21. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Great work,as usual!
    Like what you did with the windshield,very cool.

22. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

This roadster is fuckin sweeeeeet.:cool: I read this one like my grampa reads the paper.....everyday.

23. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks Mark. And Kev, thanks for the compliment, I'm sorry I can't update it often so you're not reading old news...hahaha. By the time this one is finished... this fall, hopefully, I'll have ALL the parts for the next roadster project and that one will go faster.

I like this budget building stuff! :D

24. V4

V4

Excellent project from top to bottom, front to back.

Where is the source of the RHD steering parts? England, Oz, NZ, or?
    And what it takes to do the conversion?

25. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Looks good, I believe I to taught you well... even though we have never met... and I never really taught you anything... I just feel that it tied the post together well because I already posted... :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, it is really coming together nicely and I cannot wait to see it finished. Your rode has influenced me so that one day, a long time from now (when I have the money) I will rod a early 20's roadster. The only bad thing I have to say is that you go too slow for us impatient people who can't wait to see this bad boy done. Way, WAY too slow.

26. -Brent-

-Brent-

Hahaha... thanks for the timeless lessons!

Don't worry about the money, seriously. This car is more about history lessons and passion than money. A lot of these parts are parts people wouldn't want these days. They just happen to fit a time period when combined made something faster than what was available to farm boys and such.

Thanks for the compliment... and for the kick in the pants. Just know that you're not the only one, I've been getting prodding from around the globe, hahaha. Although it's meticulous work, I know the next stage will progress a lot faster.

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

Snyders has the sector shaft and steering gear. I did find a place in Oz for the parts but don't have the link handy at the moment. I don't have the parts in hand yet, so I am not sure if the parts are comparable yet. When I find out, I'll be sure to bring that info here.

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

Brent,

Excellent work my friend! A very impressive build that I have been following with much enjoyment. You have built a unique and impressive car with allot of ingenious design work....and it is so nice to see someone else building a T in this early period besides me! :D

Keep up the great work!

Clayton - MrModelT

29. -Brent-

-Brent-

Hey all...

This weekend, the mock-up should be mostly finished. I've got some NOS Chevy oil tube shocks for the rear and a box from Mac's with all my RHD steering parts.

Progress pics in the next update!

30. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Brent, The "T" is really getting close. Hope you get it on the road. I have had Bonneville on my"Bucket List" for a while. I should be there. Only reason I don't make it is if my wife's left hip gets worse. She is in so much pain. The physical therapy just seems to irritate it.