Register now to get rid of these ads!

New For 1961

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. autobilly

autobilly

That roofline is the "Fastback" Mustang of a few years later.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There's a '61 rotting away in a mechaic's shop about 3 miles from me.

3. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

That early sixties body T-bird has grown on me alot over the last few years.The car is loaded with detail.Would have loved to have worked in the studio's back then.
    Notice in this view,the belt trim is the door handle! That's killer!!!

Attached Files:

4. oldthudman

oldthudman

Nice Bird!.............

5. seatex

seatex

Oh, Man! Ryan, have you spoken to your Attorney about this? Sounds like a garage expansion and another road trip commin' on!

6. T_Bird Guy

T_Bird Guy

I like the looks of the 1961-1963 bullet birds. But I am biased because I own one. I think some mild custom touches can really set these cars off. Here is mine.
    [​IMG]

7. Chris F100

Chris F100

I got my drivers license on my old man's 62. It was the first T-Bird in a town of 10,000 and it attracted people when it parked. My dates loved the car - but with that big console making out was not likely. Red leather interior....
    I'm painting my 62 F100 in Castilian Gold - the color of the old mans car.

8. 61 Verts are my favorite Birds. The nose on the Tbirds and the Lincolns were the best in 61 IMO

9. The '63 is the best among the pre-1967 T-Birds. It has the contour line from the front fender tip, all the way to where it swoops down in the middle of each door. Plus, the placement of the side trim is better thought-out. Those two features make the '63 stand out from the '61 and '62 'Birds, and make it a better-looking car.

My Dad had a '63 from 1974 through 1978. This was the first car I drove over 100 mph, the car I took my date Penny to the prom in (and saw the movie "Carrie" at the drive-in the night prior!); and the first car my Dad let me take on my first real road trip alone in, across the mountains to Denver from the Western Slope. It was white with the black textured top and red interior. That 390 really purred! Dad had a pair of Thrush Turbo mufflers under it that made the car sound so cool. Not loud, just right!

I'd love to find another in the same color combo, and it HAS to be a '63.

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i like the 61-63s, but the early 'birds are still my favorites. it wasn't here when you came to visit, but we have a '55. my fave for sure. i've always wanted to get my hands on one without extensive family history so i could relieve it of the shortcomings that you so eloquently pointed out.

hot y-block, t-5, drop the front for a little rake, make it stealthy. similar to the one simard owns now.

anyway...

11. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I've got a 62. I love the interiors as well. The aluminum trim and all the stainless trim look great on these. I just want to lower mine and put a few personal touches to it. I'd like to put the 61 quarter panel trim bullets on it though. Look much better than the 62's.

12. here's my old girl, this shot was taken a few weeks ago.... today i started pulling her apart cutting and welding for some real kustomising....just mild and tasteful.... a hard car to do right ... which is probably why at least in this country 99% a restored... but im up for the challenge.
    think kustomised by the ALEXANDER brothers, painted by WATSON
    stay tuned folks

Attached Files:

13. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The blue Bird-liner is spectacular.

14. Weasel

Weasel

15. Weasel

Weasel

16. BirdGuy

BirdGuy
    from Central PA

Our '62. Purchased by my grandparents in '63. Now with a mild drop, Lincoln wheels & customized center caps. Otherwise pretty original so far. Every drive is a trip down memory lane...:)

[​IMG]

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen.

18. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

I think I first saw this car on this board, and just this past summer saw it for sale online.
    Starliner roof grafted onto a Thunderbird.
    I love the look!
    Wish Ford had made this roof an option so there were more out there.

Attached Files:

19. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

I had a '63 and a '65, fun to cruise in. I've had a T'Bird Jr. tucked away that my kids are bugging me to restore.

20. I'm a huge fan of the "bullet birds" and "flair birds".

They made and sold zillions of them, so they are easy to find. This makes them not very valuable for collectors.

They drive excellent with the power brakes and steering and could make a great daily if you can afford to keep gas in them! the 390 FE makes great power but they are thirsty.

The issues that I have with them are that most of the parts are unique to the Tbirds and if you can't find parts at swaps and auto parts stores you're outta luck. You can find another 'bird pretty cheap though if you have room to store them.

Most of the time, when I see them customized, they look gross. They are custom right from the factory, so more is usually too much. A little paint, some wheels and a slight drop make them look like ford intended them to (IMHO).

I think the '65 flair bird was one of ford's first cars to come with disc brakes standard?

21. 61TBird

61TBird

Uhhh....how about No on the '65 Interior. The '61 Interiors are nicer....

Here's my '61;
    The previous owner (I'm the 3rd owner) painted the trim White. I had plans of taking it out and replacing it,but it grew on me as it's different than all the others.

[​IMG]

Raven Black with Red Interior is the best Color Combo :D
    [​IMG]

A little bit of trivia on the '61's...It does not have Ford emblems anywhere on the Car,inside or out. It wasn't until '62 that there was a small plate below the Vent controls that had the Ford emblem.

22. old me

old me
    from Iowa

A little different roofline-[​IMG]

Jim

23. 61TBird

61TBird

[​IMG]

24. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

I never much cared for them until I traded "Toast" for this one... what a great car... they drive amazing and really take well to mild customizing. And you can still pick nice ones up cheap!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have always dug the '61-'63 type birds, even when they weren't even remotely hip. The closest I have ever come to owner ship was back in '82, when I found a nice low milage '61 for 500.00. The same day I went to look at a '62 Falcon in the same shape. The thing is, when a car sits in Phoenix, all of the rubber goes to hell within say, ten years. So both cars being equal quality wise, both cars needed front suspension bushings. The Falcon cost about 150.00 to go through, the bird about 350.00 to go through. Guess which car I have to this day! Sorta do regret that sometimes though...

I wanted badly to do a "what if" kinda deal like maybe Doanne Spencer had applied his same magic from his '55 to a later 'Bird. You know, Halibrand sport mags, slight drop, lack of badges, more power, etc. Still on my short list - make it red and black!

26. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are nice, especially the dash, but barrel-back rear seats for the win.

27. hemi v8

hemi v8

Best of all the birds hands down.

28. dad-bud

dad-bud

I do like T-birds - got a 64 Convertible to work on one day - I love the whole Space Age-ness of it - the details on hte dash and the wrap-around seats in back.
    What's not to love?
    61-63's are really cool too - love them convertibles

29. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

Always wanted a 61, have not got one yet. Did have a red 69, 360hp 429 c. i., black interior. Kind of regret selling it.

30. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan