Register now to get rid of these ads!

spark plug wire looms?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glendale, Aug 11, 2012.

1. like it says i am trying to stay somewhat period correct what did you guys do? show some pics or give me some ideas. yes i searched let's do it again!

2. n847

n847

Glendale...You can't really see them on my motor and I wanted them routed behind the V/C so keep them out of the way so I went with a black Accell custom cut wire so that I could make them nice and long. I just used the black clips that came with the accell wires, their nice small, and clean. I used to work at NAPA, and theirs a dude around here who does spot on Muscle car stuff used to swear by those little looms and say they were the closest thing to what came on the early sbc motors if they had them at all. A streetrod guy here in town was showing me how he routed his which looked alot like mine and he had a loom he ordered from a corvette catalog it was some type of early 60's stock equipment, it used the small threaded boss on the drivers side by the oil pan infront of the oil filter, super clean look and kept them away from his headers! I'll try to get you a better picture of mine, not much to em and you have to look to see they are there.

[​IMG]

3. What engine?

4. sbc.. but i would think looms are fairly universal.

5. Distributer in the back makes a difference. Flathead has tubes, etc.
    I always prefer stock looking stuff myself.

6. Here's the stuff on my 283.

Sent from my Droid using TJJ sucka!

Attached Files:

7. Cactus thanks for the pics. I do have one problem. My inner fenders are so close that if i went under like that it would almost impossible to change the wires short of pulling the motor or clip.

8. n847

n847

glendale...you should look into those tubes like they used on flatheads, they can be pretty cool, and you could make it custom out of something that was used on traditional rods. I've got one picture of a car running a SBF (I think) with this set up. I'll see if I can crop the picture so you can see it?

Also check out this link!

http://www.hotrodandrestoration.com...plug-wire-routing-enhanced-engine-appearance/

[​IMG]

9. Fenders

Fenders

Early hemi with the wire covers don't need no stinkin' looms.

10. n847

n847

Woah...never thought of that, I saw some of that lacing on the inside of an old bomber at the Air Force museum years ago and I always thought it would be awesome in a car, never thought about using it on spark plugs.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Exactly what period are you talking about? There were hotrod spark plug chrome plug wire looms in the 60s. I grew to dislike them because they became so popular. I go back to the OEM wire separators.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We would grab these at every junk yard visit we made. I still have a few in my tool box.

12. The problem with the lacing is that there is no airgap between the wires. The reason for the gap is to avoid magnetic induction, where one wire causes an electrical current in the one next to it. That can cause you alll sorts of weird tune up problems. Running wire in metallic tubing prevents that as well.

~Alden

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I think that looks really cool , but I was always told that spark plug wires should not run side-by-side like that , and should always cross at 90-degrees . Having them run along together with a gap is fine , but touching is a no-no .

Someone correct me if I'm wrong , but I can't be the only one who's heard that .

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think with the new modern wires, you can get away with the wires being next to each other, any of the spiral core wires are great at reducing EMI and cross firing issues, and I believe several makes make them in unmarked basic black, most of the old cross fire issues were with solid core unshielded wires with cotton insulation, of course with points you need to run the solid cores, and with an electronic conversion you can run the spirals

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, post #13.... It'll run worse than ever, with the parallel wires laced against each other.

4TTRUK