Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 Chevrolet VIN question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Project41, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Project41

Project41

Hello all,

I just acquired a 1941 Chevrolet Coupe, and excited to finally have an old car to cruise around in... I determined from reading many posts on many boards and the OE manual information that I found online that it is a Master Deluxe Business Coupe (Style# 41-1227B).

I bought the car out of California with a bill of sale only, as the previous-previous owner lost it. The VIN tag (aka body serial number) is obviously missing due to the age (and the common problem). The previous-previous owner wrote his bill of sale with the starting VIN#'s of "AA".

My question is that the online OE literature indicates the model to be an "AG"; so shouldn't the VIN# start with that?

Does anyone have an intact VIN tag for a reference point?

Thank you in advance for your information or clarification. :)

Project41

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  2. redsdad

redsdad

Based on my research it should start with an "AA". I have only seen two cars with tags still attached to the floor and they were beat to death. But I have done a lot of hunting online. I wouldn't say I am an expert, but I do have a lot of time in it. My title says "AH" which I believe was the engine serial number. Can't wait to fix that!

Keep us informed on how things go at the DMV.

3. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

My 4i vin is 147AH09xxxx.
    14 - Baltimore Assembly Plant
    AH- Special Deluxe
    09 - September
    xxxx- x,xxx unit produced that month.
    My vin tag was still attached to the rust, I mean floor. The stamped #'s are still legible if you look close, but the printed stuff is not. I had to replace my floors so, I am not sure what I am going to do if I ever get it to the point of registration/titling. When I bought it, I got a bill of sale, and an open title signed by the guy that last titled it back in 1980. It has been through a few difffernt guys before i got it. Don't use the engine #for a vin! That means you cannot ever change engines. Kick a rod out and you are done.

4. Here we go again with the good old VIN semantics argument. All vehicle have identification numbers, making them, technically, vehicle identification numbers(no caps). The 17 character VIN is not really a number since it contains letters. The point is, if you look at the title to any motor vehicle, in the box titled "VIN" or Vehicle Identification Number" you will find whatever number the manufacturer assigned to that vehicle. If there was a title to Ford's Quadricycle, it would probably be 1. Is it a VIN? No. Is it a v.i.n.? Yes

chopped likes this.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

this should be on Dr. Phil.

6. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

I have a 41 chevy registered in New York with HX as the letters before the numbers.also has another number that starts with GC does any one know what the letters mean.thanks in advance joe

7. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

My car is registered in NY ,on the regi it has. CGA MKPAEC. Anybody know what this stands for.Help

8. I just ran across the thread and was wondering if you ever found the vin number?

9. chopped

chopped

The guy hasn't been on in forever. Click on profile then recent activity.

10. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

mine had the original tag .put it away for safe keeping ! now where did i put it ??

11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER