Register now to get rid of these ads!

When the Diesel came to Indy... Film of #28!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Very interesting - a nice comparison with this years Le Mans winner - thanks for posting.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's some cool stuff right there. The design of that car was so incredible in 1952 compared to how tall they were in previous years. Who would have thought that the cars winning Le Mans this year would be carrying the torch from a car of yesteryear.

I wish I could have been there to hear them in person.

4. OldsPwdRatTrk

OldsPwdRatTrk

Hey guys,
    I work for Cummins. The car is sitting about a block away from me in the company museum. It's a pretty awesome story for sure and a cool car. Makes me proud to work for a company that's still pretty innovative and still based in little old Columbus, IN.
    Brent

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

One of my all-time favorite indy cars. My dad has an ancient Automobile Quarterly that has really nice color photos of that car, as well as a bunch of other indy cars from the '30s-'50s. Always used to pull it out and look at that car when I was a kid.

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

That is freakin awesome!!!

Where's the guys that'll say the rings will wear out on one side of the piston!! :D

7. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

GREAT VIDEO!! Good stuff man!

I was not able to read through the previous thread you posted on this fine car, and the companies fantastic effort at the 500, but.. Did anyone bring up, and discuss the HUGE CUBIC INCH break the Diesels were given compared to the other cars in the field?

I am by no means an expert on this topic, but have stumbled across it in other studies.

In NO WAY do I want to take away from what these guys did, but as I understand it, CUMMINS dropped a SHIT TON of money into AAA and in turn, AAA allowed them 200 more c.i..

??? True or not ??? I don't know.

Kick ass looking car either way!

Thanks for sharing!

J Shaw

8. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

As I understood it the car failed because (Don??) Cummins insisted that the air intake remain on the bottom of the car in spite of objections from most everyone with Indy experience. The air intake got clogged from the rubber & assorted debris from the track and sure enough the naysayers were proven correct.

That is THE car that singlehandedly changed the design of the Indy roadsters.

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

A beautiful car and technological marvel.

10. kombi66

kombi66
    from stockto ca

met the driver of the car in the 80's at a trucking industry convention in san francisco have a signed pic of him and the car somewhere

11. jguff

jguff

In the video it looks like it had too much power for those skinny tires. The way the tires smoked coming out of the turns would indicate it could not keep up those lap speeds for very long.

Jerome

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Cool, but my Dad and I were also NOVI fans and those guys were big pioneers also - but with zero success in the race. Let's hope some day the 21st century diesel tech of, say, Peugeot or Audi crosses over to Indy, assuming an equivalency formula could be created for all types of power plants and, of course, I wasn't the only one who'd like to see that again at the Brickyard. Or hybrids, even? Gary

13. autobilly

autobilly

What a revolution! (From a guy that generally hates filthy, stinking', heavy diesels.)
    Great film, thanks.

14. Attached Files:

15. goetzcr

goetzcr

That is one of the coolest vids I've seen in a while. Cool car, a bit of history, and great drama during the qualifying portion of the video. That car looks killer even with the skin off. I love the way the frame hugs the sidways diesel. I wonder if this car ever gets run or toured.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012