Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Dad, Can I Borrow The Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. NealinCA

NealinCA

I always like seeing the 32 Tudor "get away" car at 5:50 in the first part.

Thanks,

Neal

3. Wow! I see DMV hasnt changed at all.
    Cool video, I almost hate to say I enjoyed it...we had nothing like that in my drivers ed class

4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

I might still say that if my Dad was Vern Tardel......sorry Keith.....

5. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I loved drivers ed in high school . I got to drive a 1971 Mustang with a 302 . The school had a huge parking lot that was marked off like a small town . You had stop signs , parallel parking , 3 point turns back then , left and right turns and so on . there would be about 25 cars on this parking lot all driving where ever we wanted too . We were by our selfs too in the cars . They did un hook all the am radios ! :eek: We also had a machine from the early 60 that had a gas peddle and a brake . There was a seat you sat in and a TV screen you looked at . The object was to move your car up next to the one sitting still on the right . Was for depth perception ! Then we got to see the bad crash movies as well to make us learn not to drive wild when we got our license . It was during school time everyday . We even drove when it rained . Had 2 days a week of classroom time then 3 days driving . Our final test was the exam and then we had 3 guys in my group . The object was to take a map and show where you are going to drive for 45 mins . We had to drive on side streets , city streets and the highways . Each guy would lay out his route , then the next guy would start where he stopped and so on . It was a lot of fun really . I did like the bad movies of crashes and what happens .
    I think it's really different today I am sure .

Retro Jim

6. heh, just what i needed this morning, love the caddy.

7. Harms Way

Harms Way

Back in 66' I got my license, My buddy and I was in the basement listening to the the 1964 NHRA Nationals LP Record Album on Dad's Hi-Fi,... Dad yelled down a couple times for us to "turn that racked down !!":eek::D,..... We must have listened to that record 3 or 4 times,.. Both sides !

So we get this brilliant idea,... We go upstairs,.. Dad is sitting in his chair reading the Detroit News....

Me : "Hey Dad,.. Can I borrow the car ?",.... :)

Dad: "What do you want to borrow the car for Son ?"

Me: "We just wanted to run to the Dailys Drive in for a Coke":)

Dad: "And that's all ?,... straight there and straight back ?"

Me: "Yup !,.... What do ya; say Dad ?":D

Dad: (Dad slowly looks over the top of his News Paper, and says):eek:

" For the last hour and a half,.. you two have been listening to Engines racing & tires squealing, with the Hi-Fi turned up so loud, it would wake the dead,..... And I am supposed to beleive you just want to go to the drive in for a coke,........ You two must think I'm insane !,... What do you think the answer is ! :mad:

:(:(:( A guy could have died of thrust in that house !:cool:;):D

Cool movie, first time I seen it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  8. 5-17-70 on the lic. app. I have never seen this before
    thanks
    newest cars I spied was the 69 Coronet being eaten ..by the 70 poncho

alot of nice stuff in the used car lot too

reminds me of many things when I was just 14...
    ahhhh the girls getting all wet in the car wash
    geez they never could have shown this to a bunch of horn dogs like me back then .. gonna watch it again now and hit play back until I'm caught....20 minutes and I was just caught

I have a roll bar from a close like dune buggy that was sold by Mark Moriority

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  9. no55mad

no55mad

My son was a HS senior - 'Dad, can I borrow the truck to take some wood to the beach for a bonfire?' OK son - I was working a real early morning shift so off to bed early. About 1am he knocks on the bedroom door - 'Dad, had an accident but drove the truck home'. Before leaving for work at 3am, looked at the truck and there was a 60's Cadilac tailfin embedded in the side of the bed, just behind the wheel - kids!

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

never took drivers ed.and when i got my first d.l. it was in tn at the state troopers office. which was in a building about 16x16.with a toilet.in and out in about 15 min.

11. I was driving @ 15 with my Dad riding shotgun with a learner's permit and @ 16 had my junior license. I drove everywhere, all over, and at all hours. Of course, I paid my own insurance, gas, and repairs - tough to take a girl out on a date w/$.25 in your pocket since all my money went to everything else! Never took driver's ed either - I had to go to work PT to support the car so there was no time!

12. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

that was awesome. and remember "save water, shower with a friend"

13. Great video. Saw this on the Walt Disney Show back in the early 70's.

14. moefuzz

moefuzz

The DMV sounds like a nightmare, makes me wonder if your still in line.

15. eddie1

eddie1

I saw it as a small boy in the early 70s. Thought I had made the whole thing up or not remembered it correctly until I found it on Youtube a couple of years ago.

16. threeston

threeston

Narrated by (a young) Kurt Russell.

17. Maybe I just imagined it but it seems that I read somewhere that Dutch did the striping scene at the beginning. That was the most memorable part when I first watched it when about 5 years old! I am hoping that a good complete copy comes available someday.

18. when it starts with racing pin stripes you know its gonna be good....

19. SRVLIVES

SRVLIVES

Stuntman Mike.... seems the film didn't stop him becoming a homicidal maniac!

20. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Did you also notice the kid's name was "Rex Carr"?

I saw the Disney "Dad..." episode when I was about ten, and lucked upon a VHS copy of it about ten years ago at a video store closeout sale. It's the complete version which must have been shorter originally; only way I could explain why the boy is played by a different actor in the scene with the '59 Caddy at the car wash (which is still in business, off the 101 in Burbank near the Disney studio).

21. I'll have what they've been smoking....

22. Jessie White, the lonely Maytag repairman, gets a credit for vocal talent. Not bad, not bad.

23. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I remember seeing that as an HBO short as a kid. Always loved the pinstripe scene. I have always been looking for a good copy of the origional.

24. S.F.

S.F.

The car salesman is my favorite part.

25. pumpman

pumpman

Hey Ryan, can I borrow the car? Pleeeeeeeeease.

26. goetzcr

goetzcr

I like that the DMV had a "WRONG LINE" sign. The driving inspector morphing into Dracula was pretty funny, too. Good special effects.

That gal in the Caddy seemed like a real sweetheart. She looked like she might start taking off her top. No dice, though.

27. flamingokid

flamingokid

When I was taking Drivers Ed(79-80) we had movies like "Mechanized death" and "Tragedy on Hwy 9".Blood and guts.Scared the crap out of us.

28. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

A lot of California history in that film. The used car salesman is the best.

29. I remember seeing "Dad..." at a drive-in movie theater in the late '60s before the feature movie as well as on 'Disney' on a Sunday night. Thought it was funny as hell - and Russell's part in it wasn't lost on me when "Used Cars" came out a decade later - and I still remember Kurt doing the 'Dragnet' theme voice-over and the line "Congratulations...you passed" followed by the 'OK' ding-ding. Odd thing though is we never got to see the gory drivers ed staples in our small-town high school.

30. the first Drivers Ed in schools in L.A. Cal, was 1959. I had my license all ready. I was sitting at a stop light behind a drivers ed car. driving a 1949 1/2 ton ford short flat bed. 6 cylinder 4 speed with skinny bald hard rubber tires. I could (and did) rev and pop the clutch in granny gear and squeel the tires and not move an inch. the kid in the drivers seat panicked and ran thru the red light. I was real lucky that no one was hurt. but I thought it was funny, till I got my asshole reamed by the principal and the instructor. they tried to get my drivers license revoked.

I didn't learn a thing. had my drivers license suspended twice then revoked for 5 years for pilings up 35 speeding tickets in 2 1/2 years with a some pretty fast cars for the day. got a new license under a assumed name (I didn't say that, did I?) since then have only got 6 tickets in 47 years under my real name. NONAME

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012