Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What was the craziest car deal you made?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyhood, Jan 6, 2010.

1. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

In 1982 i got a complete 1970 scj torino with a bad rod bearing . For a munice 4 speed 250 cash. And a quater pound of weed.

2. trvguy

trvguy

about 40 years ago i bought a 1927 model-t coupe for $15 and 2 quarts of beer. i had to have help buying the beer cuz i was under age. i stll don't understand what the 2 quarts of beer was all about.
    trvguy

3. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1969 I traded a 327 short block that I had $45.00 in, even steven, for a 66 Gto, 389/4spd running and dr iving complete car, but in primer. About the same time, bought a 58 vette with a bad trans for 600 and sold it the same day for 900, then got paid to put a trans in it. Also bought a 66 vette fastback wrecked, for 600 and a 67 coupe with no engine for 700. Bought a set of 67 corvette knockoffs for 2,000 and sold them for 5400 in less than 5 minutes. Haven't had a good deal since, at least it seems like it!

4. Sprout

Sprout

you suck Jeff

5. dirty4

dirty4

Bought a 1965 Impala SS Pale Yellow with Big Block 396 black interior, Car salesman says motor is blown gave him $100 towed it home pulled the intaake and replaced collaaped lifter. Sold it to my buddy for $500

6. moparnate

moparnate
    from minnesota

1970 dodge challenger! running and driving car for $95.00 in 1987. he wanted 100.00 and my uncle negotiated it down to 95.00 for me. because i was just a 16 year old kid.

7. hyperfe

hyperfe

Usually this kind of stuff never happens to me but one time I got lucky. Someone tells me about an old Falcon for sale near where I live. I go to check it out and the car has been sitting outside for along time. Looks OK, does have some rust, but brakes are locked, it doesn't run, and it smells real musty inside (maybe that smell is mouse sh%^). Tells me he wants $1500.00 for it with a bunch of parts. Opens the garage and there are three 50 gallon buckets full of stuff, plus some engine blocks, a toploader, and Mustang body parts from a 1971-73 car. I buy it all and my friends want to have me committed. Actually I'm saying to myself WTF did I do this for. To date I've sold a little over $3,000.00 worth of that "stuff" (one part being a Boss 302 distributor on ebay for $1,164.00). I still have the car, it now runs well and is registered. I'm still selling the rest of the parts off. Is this a great country or what?

8. I bought a 63 ford galaxie(?) for 15 bucks in 1970. the guy said it had a bad transmission, I drove it home, put in a motor mount and sold it to my best friend for $75.00. He lent it to a guy who ran it into a tree. Almost killed the kid. when kompact kar corner had just started in Lynnwood, I could have traded my 68 datsun pickup for a 58 vette if I would have thrown in $100.00. I refused. stupid me......

9. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I gave my Ex Missus my Mach1 Mustang and kept the house for myself during a separation [ I think her loser new boyfriend was the influence then ]

I went car dealing after that, for the next 16years .But still brag about this being my best deal ever!

10. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

When I was a kid I got a 54 Dodge hemi convertible from a neighbor. Payment-help him castrate pigs for an afternoon.

11. cavman

cavman

There's been a few, best one maybe the old Ford laying on it's side in the woods near where I grew up. I asked the land owner if it was for sale, he said "Ya gotta ask Neil, down the road". I go ask Neil..He says "Yep" and says "4 or 5". I say "4 hundred for that "? He comes back with "No...4 or 5 bucks dummy" I bought it. '34 Ford sedan delivery. I sold it for $150 to the guy who was going to haul it home for me. The Nomad in my avatar, along with a '56 for $50.
    Another was a '66 Chevy Caprice coupe. 427 car for $15. from a drunk at my class reunion. Or how about a '63 split window with an L-88 for $900. Granted this wasn't last week.....

cav

12. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Here's mine...
    I met up with an old girl friend from years back. Had lunch with her, and she tells me she's got a car with a blown motor that they wont let her keep at her apartment complex any longer. She asks me if I'll haul it to the junk yard for her... Sure, I can do that.
    So the next monday I hook the car dolly up to my DD and head off to her place. Turns out it's a Honda Civic CRX and it's in very nice condition, which is a super hot car in the "rice" world. Instead of the junk yard, I roll it over to a local garage where the jap-crap guys hang out. A guy there offers me $800.

Ex girlfriend splits it with me, so I got $400 in my pocket for an hours work. While I'm there at the tuners shop, another guy offers me $50 to haul his car 10 miles... What the heck, I can do that. Get to this guys house, and he's got a mopar minivan siting in the drive covered with dust. Turns out he had put a ton of money and work into it, but the motor locked up. A little more wheeling and dealing, and I throw a $100 on top of the tow job, and leave with the minivan.

Stoped to get some lunch, and was looking thru it, found receipts for a fresh rebuilt tranny [2000 miles on it], recent radiator, R&P and both CV joints. Call a friend of mine who has the same year minivan, and he wants it bad. So I sell it to him for $400.

I'm $700 up on the day, and it's not even 2:00 yet!
    Then the ex wife calls and asks what I'm doing. I tell her, and a few minutes later she calls back. Her Boyfriend's mother has a car she wants to get rid of. Get the address and go over there. Turns out, it's an '87 Ford tempo with 61k oroginal miles on it. It's got some rust bubbles and It's got a bad overheating problem. I went to pull the radiator cap off of it, and the cap was broken!!! Well, here's your problem I tell her... No, she just wants it gone, she got a new car and just doesn't want anything to do with it anymore....... Are you sure? Yep!

Hit the 'Zone on the way home for a radiator cap and a gallon of antifreeze, and the overheating problem was fixed!

A few days later, I transfered it into my name, and it's been my beater for over a year now.

So basically for a days work, I got $700 and a free low mileage car. Not too bad :D

13. willeys41

willeys41
    from seattle

I bought a 49 stud for two cases of beer,had a lot of partys in it,when done got my two cases of beer back

14. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

The details are hazy now, but involved the tattered re
    minents of a bricklyn body we were advertising jokingly as a "race car bed/planter box" and a smelley ass old pair of sneakers. the end result is was the acknowledemnt that my dad can in fact sell anything.

15. yblock292

yblock292

driving to work one morning, 47 chevy coupe for sale. Turn around to go look at it, absolutly rust free, new original style interior, no engine or tranny, front clip off the car. Guy comes out of the house, tells me he's moving that day and the car aint going, taking offers on it. So i give him my name and number tell him to call me with the high bid. I start to leave and he says, Hey would you give me $500 for it right now?To say the least, wrote him a check on the spot , went and got my trailer and took her home. Funny thing was i was going to sub-frame it and got a call from a guy restoring a 47, he bought the part of the frame i cut off and the wheels and tires from me for $500.Wish i could do that again!

16. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

When I was 12 years old in the summer of 2009, I bought this "redneck" 1980 Ford Pickup for $250. The guy spent all sorts of money putting new parts and gadgets on it to try and get it to run. When we got it home, we poured some gas in it, a quart of oil and rewired the solenoid and put a bracket on it so it wouldn't fall off. Cranked it 3 times and it fired right up!

17. hillbilly on nitro

hillbilly on nitro
    from USA

I traded a wood burning stove for an early 60s Datsun pickup.It had 4 on the tree!

18. rgraboske

rgraboske

When I was 14, I traded a $23 Fedora hat for a 46 Dodge Pickup

19. Just did mine about three months ago....friend needed money, had a '78 Grumman/Olsen, Ford (300 inline 6) Holsum Bread Truck in PRIMO condition! He offered it to me for a thousand $, Runs like a top, 200 thou on it, regular maintainance on it. He couldn't find the title so had a bonded title searched,,,,thats where we found out it Blue Booked at $7650.00! It's my new Bonneville hauler and "Bend in The Road" Condo! Crow. LFFL

20. lct1621

lct1621
    from Ga

I bought a 1950 Chevy Coupe for 7k on ebay that was all done up, and sold it for 15k a few months later... worked out nice, I even won a car show with it. lol

21. willysrod

willysrod
    from upstate NY

Back in 1969, I bought a 57 Chevy for $50.00 while in a game of pool at the local watering hole, the next week I got paid $20.00 to haul away a 62 Belair wagon with a broken frame, swapped in the 283 and PG to the 57, gave it a butt ugly paint job only a nineteen year old could do, and sold it for $500.00..........thought I was on top of the world! Don't ya wish you kept them all ???

22. Paid 3,400 for my 66 GT 350H in 1978, Had a 70 Boss 302 I sold for 850.00 in 1977...sniff.

23. Love all the stories about the deals we car guys get occasionally.
    About 25 years ago I was given a Dodge Dart, the guy said that the timing chain had jumped the gears. Trailered it home, put a fresh battery in it, put the timing mark to T.D.C., it was perfect. I'd had my share of Mopars with bad ballist resistors, $4.50 later, it ran great. Very next day traded it for a cool paint job on a race car.
    Last year I was given 2 Chevy vans, one with a bad motor, the runner I cleaned up and sold for 1800. The non runner is a fuel injected 350 with overdrive which I'll fix and throw it in one of my crusty cruisers.
    Then there was a free Isuzu Turbo Charged Diesel Trooper with a Bum Transmisson. Bartered my favorite Import Mechanic to replace the transmission and clutch. I drive the crap out of this thing, gets 20 m.p.g. hauls swap meet parts and the dog.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Traded a 1978 460/C6/NP205 engine/transmission/transfer case, straight across, for a nearly complete, but rough 1929 Model AA truck.

The best part, I got the engine/transmission/transfer case for free.

The guy even delivered the AA, and picked up his stuff. Good times.

25. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

Not me, but my buddy with the "anti-deal" of the year- in '94, he traded a cherry 68 Barracuda (totally solid, good paint, great interior, great runner) straight up for a 86 Chevy Celebrity because the Celebrity had heat and it was getting close to fall. Moron.

26. seldom scene

seldom scene

Feb 5 1966 I bought a Triumph TR3 from another soldier. I didn't register it or insure it properly because I was geting out of the cursed army on the 21st of feb. This was at ft jackson so carolina. I got in trouble for having the car on base w/o sticker, got court martialed for disobeying an order to move it { it snowed and no tow truck was available ]
    Thw 21st came at long last and I blasted out of So Carlonia heading home to San Diego.
    What an adventure, like forest gump and easy rider combined.
    After a lot of driving through the south in an english car and treated like a yankee alien the Triumph caught in fire in the middle of nowhere Texas. Some farmer put the fire out with an extinguisher, and a kid of about 16 pulled up in a 56 Cadillac Coupe De Ville. He really wanted that Triumph and I really wanted California so we traded even-steven I drove that car all day and night till I hit the Pacific ocean Home At Last! I didn't have proper paperwork on the Cad, but traded it for a lowered 49 Buick to a crazy car who pushed it off a cliff in Mexico.

27. best deal for me ever was a 1998 Nissan Altima I bought for $20 dollars that needed a axle. Sold it for $2800 and bought my model A......So in a way I bought a model a for 20 dollars. :D

28. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i worked at a muffler shop.i traded a dual exuast job for a 54 chevy truck.i had 4 sticks of pipe,$6 each,and 2 mufflers $10. each in cost. all the truck needed was a $8 carb kit.the 6 volt battery chargered back up.i drove it for about a year,sold it for $1000.

29. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

just try and get $7650 out of a 30-yr old bread truck with 200k on it

30. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Traded an X-Man comic book issue #1 someone left in my storage locker when I moved into an apartment to my brother for his rust free '62 Falcon coupe and $200.oo

[​IMG]