Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead ford v8 identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stevekantercool, Mar 5, 2009.

1. stevekantercool

stevekantercool

I am trying to ID a flathead ford V8 engine. The heads are 24 bolt -front mounted water hose - with 8BA cast into the head, the intake manifold has 10 bolts, the distributor is side mounted to the passenger side, the bellhousing is cast into the block, and the fan is mounted to the crank.

The engine was pulled from a 1940 ford pick-up. The owner said the engine was a 1949.

I will post the block and head casting numbers when I get them.

Any help would be apprciated, than you.

2. mtflat

mtflat

Don't bother posting the numbers - they don't mean anything unless you find a 59 on the half-bell.

With a cast-on half bell it sounds like someone outfitted a 59AB with 8BA parts.....unless you're mistaken about the bellhousing.

A side picture of the engine would eliminate most of the guesswork.

Clayton Miller likes this.
  3. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like a standard Ford 239 cu/in motor produced from 1949 thru 1953 except for the fan being mounted to the crank pulley. On those 1949 thru 1953 models the fan was mounted on a bracket attached to the intake manifold front and belt driven from one of 2 belts.

There may be some numbers stamped on the right rear side of the block on the passenger side where the intake manifold bolts to the flat top surface of the block.

Post some pics and we can possibly help more.

Jim

4. HD74

HD74

Truck motors had the fan intake mount running off the crank pulley.

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

24 bolt cast bell is a 59A, isn't it?

6. Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just jump in here and ask a similar question, I've been offer a stuck flathead, free for the pickup, the number on the heads is 8RT. All I can find is that it's a 49 to 53 ford or Merc pickup engine. Just wondering if there's any chance this has a 4" crank?

Thanks Guys.

P.S. Glad the snow is almost gone!!:D

7. 42coupe

42coupe

Go to http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm and click on flathead identification in the menu on the left of the page. It has all of the information that you will need to identify your flathead. FYI, the previous post about mixing parts is correct. With an integral bellhousing the block is an earlier block, but someone put the later 8ba style heads on it. This is not hard to do, but does require a small change. Check out the vanpeltsales site and you'll get a good education on flatties.

Doc

8. 53_Customline

53_Customline

Anyone have some insight on these casting numbers? From a 24 bolt.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

9. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

EAB are the latest 8BA heads.I think used in 52-53 and Higher compression than the earlier version

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

8RT is truck version of 8BA, not the 4" crank.

11. Rem

Rem

It's unlikely to be one in this case, but the French flatheads use 8BA style heads and front distributor, but have the early style half-bellhousing. The best (or worst!) of both worlds, depending on your point of view :)

12. 53_Customline

53_Customline

The motor is out of my 53' so that makes sense. I had just seen some examples from the same model year with the "8BA" casting on the heads. Thanks!

13. Ok I also have an identification question. I am trying to ID this block. The heads say "EAC Mercury" and have the number's "C13-3" stamped on them. The Bell Housing has the numbers "18-34C 3" The 'C' is actually backwords so I am not sure if it was a poorly stamped 0 or a backwords letter 'C'?? I opened the motor last night and removed the oil pan only to find the large counter wt. measured 5 1/2" and no marking 1CM so it's not a Merc crank, right? Could it be a Ford block? Vanpelts does not cover bell housing numbers at least I could not find any reference. Help! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010