Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Other Moonglow

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jan 15, 2010.

1. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Sweet car....Love the 235.

2. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

4. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

That's sad hadn't heard that Ryan.

Jim

5. Tim G

Tim G

Wow that's so much better looking than the standard Hardtop i think, prefer it without the chop too. I loved my 54, still one of my favorite 50's cars, Chevrolet got the shape perfect on the 2 door sedan car as far as i'm concerned!

6. You know, sometimes I take this car for granted. I mean there are so many "Moonglow" clones, wannabees or Chevy's that take an element here or there from Moonglow that I forget the impact this car had. If you think about it, it's the Hirohata Merc for Chevy guys, but I don't think it gets that level of respect. Thanks Ryan for putting this car back in it's proper place in my mind at least.

7. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I probly first discovered this car about 10 years ago.. Love the look, but I didn't know about the interior situation till now. I'd prefer to be able to put a girl or two in there, but I guess that guy had other ideas..

That "lunchtime Photoshop" chopped version fucking rules.

8. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Stecks Moonglow is my favorite "Chevy" custom. What is not to like? It is a shame that the original Moonglow was crushed. Ryan, Thank to you for yet another great reminder of such an awesome car.

If you guys who think someone building thier car to fit thier desires/needs is not right/traditional...what do you think now? The Moonglow inspired "copy" of Hoffmans is a perfect example of someone back in the day building a car for themselves not anyone else. Bill Hoffman did it his way...and did it right!!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. THIS CAR IS NOT THE MOONGLOW people.

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I thought I was the only one that noticed that. There's a nice shot of this car on p55 of Pat Ganahl's excellent 'The American Custom Car' book.

Here is another hardtopped sedan courtesy Rikster.

[​IMG]

11. Come on Comet ..... The Hirohata for chevy guys?????? Really ???????

12. fat141

fat141

What example would you put up ?? :)
    Rod

13. Hoffman changed the Chev by late 59. Here it appears in Nov '59 issue of Custom Cars magazine.
    It then sported flames, chrysler wires and a complete custom interior. Still way cool!

Mick

Attached Files:

14. I have think about that one but forsure not the Hirohata mercury. How does somebody even consider that???? Because they were both hardtopped?

15. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess you don't get it Jeffsled..

Each "camp" has a "god car". Merc guys tend to agree mostly that the hirohata car is the "god" of custom mercs.. At least the 49-51 variety.. Why can't us 49-54 chevy guys have one?
    I believe my boy Comet cited the hirohata car because it is one of the few customs that almost everyone agrees on and likes.. That car transends(sp?) and manufacturer loyalties a guy might have..

I forget what Im even talking about.. Ha.

16. I compleatly agree its the king of home built cars bar none. I seen a real copy at the billitt proof in wash in 08 the car must have been a real head turner. air ride had been around since 58 as I recall.

17. I understand what you are saying and I agree that the moonglow is to chevys what the hirohata is to mercs. I thought Comet was talking about this featured car on this thread being like the Hirohata for chevys and I didnt see the comparison,now if he was talking about the moonglow??? I agree 100%

18. Keith English

Keith English

Is this the same car, with a little grill modifacation?

Attached Files:

• 075.jpg
      075.jpg
      File size:
      189.8 KB
      Views:
  19. Yes, of course I was talking about the Moonglow. Sorry for the confusion. This car just reminded me of how inspirational the original was.

20. sololobo

sololobo

I remember how my pals and I went nuts over that first little book feature, I thought the comp interior was so hip, as were the sliding windows, and we marveled at the stance. I am with my pal Comet , a true benchmark for these Chevy's. The stark white was very appealing as well!! Thanx for stirring up some great memories. ~Sololobo~

21. flattrap

flattrap

Bill Hoffmans 54 inspired this car my dad built 35 years ago. This car is in California now and owned by Gregg White I belive. The paint is 35 years old. I was about 7 years old when he painted it and it blew me away then. It is a sedan chopped and post removed. Hoffmans car was wrecked and crushed.

Attached Files:

22. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

i allways say about the know it alls
    yall better get out your history books
    the way i see it
    the customs that wernt vary low in this area or even earlyer the owners or even the builders didnt want to take the long road to get a custom low its alot of damb work
    there were more customs than one thinks extremly low all there history
    cheers to the long road!

23. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

would like to know more about the adjustable suspension

24. poorboy

poorboy

cool article. love the hardtop treatment and the way they solved the side glass

25. twofosho

twofosho

I remember Russ talking about the Hoffman car when he was working on this one. As he finished it, I couldn't help but think how the fit and finish of the Hoffman car had to be a distant second to the perfection of his. Even before he added the candy flames, the white pearl paint was just stunning. Because they were done so well, I'm sure the casual observer couldn't have a clue to the shear number of modifications on your Dad's car either.

Maybe you could get your Dad to post on the HAMB about his recollections of the Hoffman car and why it inspired him to do his. Also, I believe the current owner is a HAMBer, maybe he could be persuaded to do a picture post on the car.

26. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Wondering if the Bill Hoffman that built the car is the same one that owned Hoffman Chevrolet in Molalla up until recently. The age would work. I have seen that mag feature several times over the years, never thought about his name. If so, I think he lives here in Oregon still, at least his sons do. If so I wonder if they have any old pics or anything cool from the car. :)

27. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

I have known Bill Hoffman since about 1955. no relation to Hoffman Chevrolet. The "competition" interior was the result of an interior fire, & the need to get the car ready quickly for a carshow. The adjustable suspension was flipping the rear shackles over, don't know what ,if anything, was done in front. Bob

28. Terry

Terry

Looks like a 53

29. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

thats a cool car

30. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I always mention this one when guys start talking about being "too low".

[​IMG]