Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What was the craziest car deal you made?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyhood, Jan 6, 2010.

1. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

back when i was leaving tulsa in 1986,school was done moving home, trade my 63 f-100 pick up for a 18" portable t.v...last year traded a 292 ford y-block that i got for free for a 32,000 mile 71 ranchero

2. vintage tin

vintage tin

1966 Oldsmobile 442 w/ tri-power. (disassembled) $50.00

3. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

No farm animals involved !! I traded a riding lawn mower for a wrecked mustang gt convertable it was to bad to fix so I bought a clean little lx coupe then traded for another mustang lx. Now I was minus a 22 lawn mower and 1200$ so I remembered I was not a ford guy so I traded all that shit for a 33 3 window chevy!!P.S. some of my friends hate me hey the guy ask me to do it so I did it !!

4. 62rebel

62rebel

traded a box of built models and some cassette tapes for a '57 Dodge Coronet 2dr ht, no motor or trans, but had a '63 Chrysler 383/TF to put in it... that was 1985
    traded a red, white, and blue Datsun 510 for a '66 F100 with 390, 4v, at... around 1993 or so (it wasn't the "cool" 510, it was the late job)
    traded a 1969 English Ford Cortina GT as part of a deal for a 1962 Lincoln; the GT had the shifter pop out in my hand going from 2nd to 3rd
    had some go the "wrong" way too. not talking about those.

5. flat34pu

flat34pu

:D in 1971 traded a munci blue light 8 track for a 1950 chevy deluxe.

6. olcurt

olcurt

The farmers I grew up around would have asked for at least 3 (cases)!:)

7. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

For my 49' F-1.
    Decent wad of cash, Four 1979 Cadillac chrome steel/wire basket rims & One MTX 700 Watt amp. Only the cash was the expense, the other stuff, given to me free.

8. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I reroofed a 5sq. garage for an elderly church member. Inside were a 1961 Cadillac and 1969 Dodge Leberon. Both ran but had been parked for sometime. I did the roof free of charge and she generously gave me both cars. I still get a kick out of that one.

283john likes this.
  9. bendtypes

bendtypes

I bought a 38 Pontiac 4 DR Touring Sedan from the original owner with 30K mi. - a Stanford University prof. Perfect exterior/ interior & the radio worked (Seeberg speaker) etc. (No fender spare tire wells).

I was in college and the seller sympathized with my ability to pay a lot so she said she'd take $1 for ever year newer than 1900 and I paid $38.00!!

10. 6-71

6-71

I bought a complete 65 stingray conv.for $300 in the mid 70's.I traded a gallon of rotgut whiskey for a 69 chevelle 2dr.hardtop.later that same summer.:)

11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Bought a '65 Gran Prix for $50 in 1977.Had a cracked block.Ran but got hot and would stop running after about a mile.Had it sitting in the parking lot of a gas station I worked at.Drunk came in one night and said he needed a car.Offered me $300 for the GP. I took it and off he went.I waited 5 minutes,fired up the wrecker and went down the street and there it sat.Nobody around.Hooked it up and dragged it back to the station.Drunk never came back looking for it so after a week I stuffed another 421 in it and sold it

12. Probably the best one I ever did was when I acquired my Olds powered chopped 54 Chevy.It had been sitting under a friend of mine's body shop(an old barn actually)for several years and had a LOT of hornet's nests in it.The owner had a 63 Avanti he was going to restore and I had a Delco AM/FM radio in my sedan delivery that had,"STUDEBAKER" emblazoned across the front.Long story short I swapped the radio for the Chevy.This was 1974.
    I sold the Chevy a couple years later for $300 after the windshield had a rock pitched through it and it was radically reworked by the new owner.
    After this owner passed away a couple years ago,Paul(the original owner/builder) bought it from the owner's widow and now is going to do a restoration on it.As a side note;the Studebaker Avanti is STILL awaiting restoration and he still has the radio too!Here are a couple of pics when I owned it.

Attached Files:

13. new at this

new at this
    from olympia wa

1969 ford f100 i got it for free i jump in hit the key and it fires every time

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  14. I stole a Chevy II by accident, then sold it back to the owner for $100!

The car was left at a rental house and when I asked about it the land owner told me to take it. It was towed to my house by a friend that owed me a favour then I realized I didn't have any paper work and the real owner was storing it at his "FRIENDS". I found out who owned it and I told him the towing was $100. He was glad to have it back. My friend made money towing it to his storage place too! I was going to part it out....

15. 61falcon

61falcon

i turned 16 the summer 1988. a family friend gave me a 77 cutlass that was pretty well used up. the agreement was i cut the grass for the summer in trade for the car. deal was made, she handed me the keys and title. turns out we had a drought that summer, record heat, very little rain. grass didnt grow much, i cut it twice. i had about 4 hours time invested in earning my first car.

16. cwayne

cwayne

Mid 70' traded $200 bucks for a chopped top '30 model A coupe, bought a frame for 10 bucks, won a set of coil shocks at a car show and sold the whole thing for $1500. Around the same time a friend gave me a '38 chevy 2 door sedan, i had to many cars at the time so i sold it for $150 hated it every since...that was a great car. 3 years ago guy gave me a '53 studebaker champ, he had owned it 25 years, wife left him and all he had left was the car, sold it a year later for $3000. One year ago the guy across the street gave me a '61 studebaker lark, great body missing motor, still have it..

17. Bought a 1954 Ford wagon for $25.00 back in 66, got it running and was driving it home when some fool hit me head on. Nobody hurt and he was all worried about loosing his license so I sold him the car for $50.00.

18. Pete Fox

Pete Fox
    from Belgium

I bought a 1936 Mercedes 230 6 cylinder for 3500 euro from an old man in Holland a few years ago. The car came originally from Russia where the Germans had left it after the war. The Russians had repainted it in ugly white and all the chrome in flat black. I repainted it a saturday morning in German army grey, put some army marks on it and sold it on the German @bay for 10000 euro; that is 6500 euro for a tin of paint!

19. TomWar

TomWar

In 1951, Hayward Calif, my Father decided to build a rental house on our property.
    He needed a truck, so he made a deal with a local Cheese-maker. He got a model A
    1 ton truck and a Parmesan Cheese for $150.00. We ate that cheese for years, in 1985 my mom still had a little piece of it.

20. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

bought a nice 80-s olds cutlass brougham diesel, no rust, drive perfect, new tires, perfect paint, ac worked, but nobody wanted it because of the diesel. got it for 250 bucks

bought a 350 olds from the junkyard for 25 bucks, and dropped it in. turns out the 350 had a bad starter, so I put the diesel starter on it. woohoo that thing would spin.

sold the car 2 days later for 1500.

21. screwball

screwball

I worked at a junk yard in 1988 and was in charge of buying cars for the yard and got a call from a guy with a ot 71 Mach I with 16.000 miles on it Original owner car. Went to look at it as they just dragged it out of the garage after 15 years sitting full of dust but real great condition. Asked how much they needed as I thought it was in to good of shape to go to the junk yard and the old guy said $250.00 . I was blown away and then told him the car would be a fast sell at $2500.00 in the condition it was in. Then I got the story behind the car. The son was the owner and years ago he had an accident hitting and killing a pedestrian with the car and it had affected the son so badly that the car was repaired and then parked never to see the light of day since. I then retold the dad how much the car was worth in my opinion and told him to talk it over with his son and if they still wanted it gone I would be at his call to take it away. Driving away I thought was I stupid I should have just hooked it up shut up and kept it but thats not me. The rest of the day I thought how I let it go. When I got home after work I get a call from the older gentleman saying they would like the car out of the yard a.s.a.p. and can I OFFER him more $$ after all I told him what I thought the car was worth. The best I could come up with was $500.00 and he said sure come and get it. I went to pick up the car and for fun I boosted it in his drive way and with the shop dealer plate I drove it home. I ended selling it to a friends 16 year old two days latter for a grand still way under retail value then. It has been totally restored now and still owned by my friends son.

22. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

In the late 80's I was working in Stamford, CT and drove a pickup truck.
    The city was exploding with construction then and one of the women who
    worked in the next department was losing her apt as the building was being torn down to build an office building. She decided to move in with
    her boyfriend who lived about 3 miles from where I did- and asked me if
    I could move some stuff for her- I took 3-4 truckloads after work on my way home and on the last one she asked if I wanted her old vw. I figured
    it would be something to play with so I said yes- Went ober to her landlords house, there was a barn in back- opened it and there was the
    VW- a 1964 Karmen Gia with 22,000 miles on it. The battery had died some 5 years previous and she left it sitting- I put in a sears 6 volt battery, filled one flat tire and towed it home. The clutch had frozen so
    I put it on jackstands, started it up, ran it up in second gear and pumped the clutch till it broke free.

Sold it for $2500, used the money to build a 2 car garage.
    Jim

23. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

1933 Ford 3 window coupe body, frame, doors, deck lid, dash.......$185 to haul it away. Someone did a really bad top chop on the top center roof area.

I finished out the roof (the only ratty part of the chopped top, the posts and doors were done rather well), primered it up nice and pretty, sold it for $1500.00

Saw it at the Pate swap meet next year for $5000.00 in the same condition as I sold it.

We all made money, but I wish I had it back!

24. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Back in 1976, 2 years of hauling hay from field to barn, shoveling cow sh__ after milking, spreading said cow sh__ in the field's and cleaning chicken coop's for a 1955 Chevy BelAir two door post with no engine or transmission.
    I fully understand why Colonel Sanders wanted to kill chickens !

25. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

a doctor i used to do alot of work for told me if painted and hung a door (he bought the door) on his k-5 blazer, i could have a 61 coupe deville that was locked in a garage in a defunct interior shop. i knew the owner of the shop and told him i wanted the car out of there, he said no problem and even had it towed to my shop. i've been cruising that car for the last 10 years.

26. gsport

gsport

it was a hot summer day and i was drinking a pepsi, talking to the neighbor across the street. he had an early 70's impala with four flat tires sitting in front of his house and i asked what he was going to do with it.. he said "man, i can't even get someone to come and tow it away, right now i'd trade if for a cold pepsi" deal done, i air up the tires, pushed it over to my side of the street.. a couple of weeks later i had some kids (maybe 16 years old) come to the door and ask if i wanted to sell it.. i told them it didn't run and asked em' how much they had?? they dug in their wallets and came up with, i think it was $43.00... i said bingo, that's exactly what i want for it..(really) they said, they paid me, left and came back to push it home (they were on bicycles).. apparently they didn't make it home, pushed it out in a field and stripped it. the guy i had got it from got a ticket for abandoning a vehicle.. i still laugh when i think about that deal....

27. inafog

inafog

Short and sweet. Traded a box of ten Maxell blank tapes for a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T. No rust, no dents, paint was dull, wheeled it out. Ran like a champ. Can't beat it.

28. inafog

inafog

Het Isetta, The story of the car is cool, but the Soprano's part is funny. (me being from New Yawk!) Tell Tony we said hi.

29. Tripple G

Tripple G

Traded my 1965 Corvette, title-for-title, for a bank repossessed 1979 Mercury Capri with 1,700 miles on it.:( Also included in the deal was a brand new washer & dryer for my wife, and a VHS video recorder for myself. (back in 1980, those things were a $1,000) Oh, and by the way, she got the Capri as well. Sure wish I had that Corvette today ... DUMB!:eek:

30. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Had a friend call me and tell me to pick up his one owner '65 GTO frm his Ex-wife's house. Gave it to his son and he showed his ass and eventually broken the timing gear set. (Ponchos were bad for that). I towed it home, put a timing gear set in it and drove it for several years. He would NEVER take a nickel for it after years of badgering him, so I gave up.\Here it is after I repainted it.

Attached Files: