Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What was the craziest car deal you made?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyhood, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Drivin down the road seen a 1964 custom cab swb on a trailer. I get behind them and they pull into a salvage yard. We jump out my truck ask, what are you doin? guy tells me he's scrapin the truck. I ask how much you think you'll get he says 100 bucks me and my buddies pool our money and whadya know we had $101.50. So I hand the guy the money. Soon as we are fixin to shake hands the Junkyard owner runs out yelling... What the hell is goin on here. Guy says I just sold this truck to these kids. Junk man starts gettin mad and asks how much he tells him 100 junk man starts throwin a it yellin I'll give ya 250. So I figure hell, guess we ain't gettin it. THe guy that sold it to us tells the junk man "What part of.. sold it to these kids don't you understand??" turns to me and basically says where ya live I'll deliver.

2. 33 5 window coupe

33 5 window coupe

when i was a kid,i traded a 410 shotgun for a 55 chevy,then put a 57 merc engine in it.my dad helped fab motor mounts and drive shaft.

3. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

RUSTY...I traded a hamburger for 1 51 cadillac, man was that guy an idiot! untell i found out the car was stolden...POP.

4. henryj429

henryj429

I was at an estate auction about 10 years ago. I really wanted the 39 Lincoln Zephyr 4 door that was there. I bid to my limit of $1000 and lost it to the next bid at $1050. The winning bidder told me that $1050 was his limit and I would have had it for $1100. I was just pissed - kind of spitting and stamping my feet on the ground. The auctioneer saw this and said, Sir, "maybe you want this one". So I threw my hand up and said, "what the hell!"

I got a 33 Chev 2 door for 10 bucks!

5. selohssa

selohssa

I was at a house party years ago and my buddy gets to talkin to the home owner. The guy had a 66 Chevelle two door post with a 305 tuned port (not installed). Later we decided to order pizza and the home owner didn't have cash for his share so my buddy jokes and says "I'll pay your share and you give me your car"... Drunk home owner says "OK". My buddy sold it the next week for $2500.

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I bought my 1932 5 window that had the roof removed back when I was 14 in 1994. the guy tried talking me out of even coming to look at the car and he only wanted $1500 for it. i figured what's a 2 hour drive, even if it's junk! pop's took me down there with my summer lawn money when the guy found out it was a 14 year old kid who he talked to on the phone he just about shit. I went and looked at the body that he had advertised as a cabriolet. well, it was without windshield posts and somebody had put exhaust tubing around the tops of the doors and welded em shut and cut the floor out to channel the car. Sitting underneath there was a usable stock frame that he said was part of the deal. The body was a little beat up but very solid and came with a 1960 home built title. when I told him I wanted the car he said if I made the check out to some childrens orphanage in texas he'd sell it to me for $500. Only thing i could think of to say was "will ya take four?" lol, he said no but I had to ask. I loaded it up and got the heck out of there before He changed his mind! He was a lawyer in CT and a real nice guy. He had a nice 32 roadster too.
    here's how it sits 16 years later with a new floor and some hand made windshield posts and working doors.

Attached Files:

7. UA_HoBo

UA_HoBo
    from Oswego NY

I used to do security at an auto auction and i watched teh repos come in all the time. 1 day a 86 Lotus Esprit cam in and it sat down back for months. One of the dealers {now one of my best friends} is into that type of car so i told him about it. The action rolled the car threw the lanes for 3 weeks with the details being it had a bad motor and tranny. I told Jason that they never made a key for it even tho they have a locksmith on duty and that it apears to be a GM lock Cyl. Would you believe an gm master key started it? He bought it on a 5000 if bid cleaned it up and sold it for 20+ All Because the lock smith didn't look at it.

8. selohssa

selohssa

I bought a 72 Chevelle that had just had $2000 worth of work done on it for $100 because the guy needed that much more cash to buy a numbers matching engine for his Corvette.

9. selohssa

selohssa

I used to stroll the trailer parks for old cars and made a few deals over the years. I traded a nice polished wood "grant" steering wheel to a guy for a 63 Chevy Bel-Air four door that used to be a police car. The people renting the trailer had been thrown out and this car was in the back yard. Someone had spraybombed flames on it and had put a 427 in it. It was winter time but after about 2 hours work I had it running. I tried to drive it out of the yard but the ice dragged me right into the fence. I damaged the quarter and broke the fence. I managed to drive it home (with a dealer plate) and sold it a week later.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

got a new car for my wife...great trade:D:rolleyes:

11. psychobilly57

psychobilly57

I was 15 and traded an 8*-track player and 2 4"X10" speakers for a 59 chevy parkwood wagon. 283 P/S PG car.Car was CLEAN one piece of chrome missing off the side but it was in the car. Blew the tranny doing neutral drops. (dumbass) Sold car to a guy who needed 283 for 57 Nomad. Bought 66' Mustang coupe for $25.00 cash. 43,000 miles 289, P/S.A/T vinyl top. Changed flat, drove it home. Tagged it and ran it to death. Traded set of sbc headers (free) for SFM67 Shelby sbf intake . Sold 2 weeks later for 400 bucks.

12. SteadyT

SteadyT

My 'crazy deal's are OT cars:

89 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 lifted on 33's - $200 (THE DEAL OF THE CENTURY FOR ME, OF COURSE I STILL OWN IT)

78 Datsun 280Z 5sp - $300

66 Chevy Fleetside 292 4sp - $100

13. rustyhood

rustyhood

LMAO!!!!!! I have read some really awesome replies in here. "A few " my wife asked what was I laughing so hard about? I said you have to read some of these!:D
    When I was building my 36 fat fender chevy. I needed a glove box door.
    A friend told me about a 38 chevy cab on frame, no fenders or drivetrain and it was in Kettering, ohio. I drove out and found it sitting in a backyard. The cab was so rough.The guy said $200.00 for the whole thing. I said I really only needed the glove box door. how much for just the glove box door? he said $200.00. I bought the truck took the cab and sit it down on a 1968 chevy 4x4 frame it had a 350 chevy motor. as I was making body mounts. A guy around the corner said "I have seen some wild things around this garage but this one I want. if you will take $1500.00 cash I will pull it home. Sold it. Soon as my wife digs up those photos I will post it. it had 38'' tires and really looked wicked just sitting there.

14. Okievoodoo

Okievoodoo

My first car... my pop said I couldn't have a 68 Cougar I found for 150.00... my buddy and I went and I bought it... put a battery in and drove it to his house... changed the oil and detailed it... drove it for 6 weeks to school, no license, no registration, no insurance... sold it to my boss after 6 weeks for 900.00

15. JasonK

JasonK

1973 Triumph Spitfire, 50 bucks. Got it running with fresh gas, plugs, and battery. The guy was super pissed off when he heard that.

16. jimmyv

jimmyv

Traded a 60 Chevy 4 door that I rolled for a 60 Impala 2 door HT that was not running. Guy wanted the 283 out of the 4 door. I got the 2 door running and drove it all through HS in the late 70's. Sold it and bought a 58 Impala 2 door HT for 100.00 that needed some work. Drove it for a while and sold it for 500.00. Wish I still had both of them........

17. Last year I traded a 1954 Ford convertible in very,very rough shape and was cut apart in pieces when I found it for a cherry 40' Mercury 4 door sedan! 2 years ago I traded some welding/labor for a nice complete 53' Olds 88 2dr and a 1951 Kaiser Vegabond! A friend of mine back in 1972 bought a 69' Mustang Boss 429 with a warmed over Boss motor that hardly ran it was so radical for $600! The guy was a big time doper and needed the money.

18. blojectedj

blojectedj
    from oklahoma

When I was about 15 I traded a plastic POS electric organ I bought at an auction for 20 bucks for a pretty nice 63 Impala SS. They had the plug wires backwards wouldn't pull itself, got a little pissed when I drove it off. Bought a 67 chevy CST pickup for 75 bucks, put a set of points and a battery in it and drove it home, sold it for 750.

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I bought a car out from under my boss once.

Running wrecker on an interstate service station, 2 guys come in and want to sell their car to a junkyard, it "blew the rings out". Parked 2 miles up the highway, all they got are keys in their hand.

Boss wouldn't pay. It was 5pm friday. He says the final deal is we'll tow it in, take what we want, if the junkyard pays anything for it, we'll mail it to ya. Take it or leave it. Boss rolls out the door smugly, he's got em by the balls. The boss is a real piece of work, and routinely throws tantrums over $5 mistakes, and they end with a firing. I'd actually given my 2 weeks notice earlier in that day, the boss was notorious about taking 6 months to implement a raise, and trying to pull that crap on me

Anyway, boss is gone, the car owners mull it over for a few minutes and start to walk away looking for cash in hand. Told em I'd pay $30 on the spot.

Fixed my new car over the weekend by swapping the ign module. Drove it to work monday, beat the boss there. He comes in and looks it over real close. I mention getting it fixed over the weekend for nothing, reach in thru the window and it starts with a flick of the key. At this point he's delighted, the car's worth several thou as it sits. He's talking about selling his daily because this car's so much better.

This is the point I calmly explain how every time I tried to take initiative on his behalf, he threatened to fire me. And the price of not trusting my judgement was sitting right there in front of us. If only he'd trusted me and paid my raise on time.

Great car. Drove it daily for several years. But the most valuable thing was that lesson about the true nature of employer & employee.

20. swi66

swi66

Bought a cassette deck for $15 from a friend who was broke.
    Swapped for a 62 Ford, 6 banger 3 on the column,
    next day swapped for a 54 Chevy, stovebolt 6, 3 on the column, foot high shackles, and orange shag carpeting.
    next day swapped for a 66 Dodge Coronet 500 convertible, 383 4-speed. Motor in pieces.......that was in 1974. Within 6 weeks, had it together in time for high school graduation. Still have that car too!
    I think it's worth a little more than my original $15 investment, even with inflation.

21. selohssa

selohssa

A guy that I went to high school with was late on his rent and asked me for the $135 that he needed. I was in school so I didn't have much cash so I said sure but you need to give me some collateral. I got his baseball card, comic book and coin collections as well as his 1968 GMC truck. He moved away before he paid me so I got to keep it all. I took the coins into a collectors shop and they gave me $150 on the spot. That truck was a good parts hauler for about two years.

22. 20+ years ago..........

traded 8 Mexican bags:
    [​IMG]

for 2 American shoeboxes:
    [​IMG]
    The orange '57 is a fairly rare sedan delivery with windows.

[​IMG]
    I sold them years ago and they went to the Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande CA area. I'd like to get in touch with the buyer but only remember his name was Dennis and he owned a nice '55 Cameo pickup.

23. George T G

George T G

It might be 25 years back now I had an I-H Traverall 3/4 ton 2 wd 4 spd. A guy asked if I wanted to swap for a car. I said stop with the car. Well he did a 70 GTO Ram Air Conv 4spd. Even trade but I had to give him about $100 for the tires, He owed that to his brother for them.
    Then I sold that to a guy for $$ and 2 Firebirds one ws a Formula 400 4spd.
    Too bad I wasn't a Pon guy. Sold them too.
    GEORGE!!

24. send_it_all

send_it_all

I bought a 64 Nova from a friend about 20 years ago. The price on the bill of sale read "One hundred and seven dollars and sixty nine cents, and participation in all of out future sandlot football games." I had to take that to the DMV.

25. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

Help me load this shit and you can haul off that 51 Mercury Coupe,,, It was soooooo.....cooooool. Right place right time.

26. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

In 86 we lived on some land and needed a truck.

Old guy at work , Mr. Linville, said he had one that ran and was respectable enought to run the kids around in. $600, on time, $50/mo, no interest.

I go to his old farm in Kernersville NC. 50 GMC, longbed. Chalky black. 1/2 ton truck with 3/4 springs. Odometer had 67K miles. Cracked old 600x16 tires. Said his dad put them on in about 1961. Wood bed almost complete.

Turns out they bought it new and used to deliver milk to winston salem in it.

I started it up, drove it home, and even commuted in it for the better part of 3 years. Took a 7 inch sears buffer and some polish and put a black mirror shine on the cab.

Three on the tree, side air and front air scoops, battery cover would raise up at speed. 50mph max. One tailight, no turnsignals.

Used to tow kids around the neighborhood with it with ski ropes and roller blades till the highway patrol shut us down.

About 96 had to sell it. Went to a welder guy at my new job site. He and his boy put it on a trailer and towed it to asheville. My son and I had waxed that truck all the last night. Guy said all down I-40 people were thumbs-upping him and waving. Went to a good home. I bet he still has it.

What I didn't know was the original owner that same month sold another guy at work a beautiful 48 ford tractor for about the same money. But I couldn't afford it anyway.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  27. wood470

wood470

how bout a 55 Olds with a B&M Hydro and not much else goin for it for a 55 Triumph that I chopped and traded for a 40 Ford Woody that I drove for 20 years and gave away for $2000

28. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

I've bought lot's of cheap cars but the craziest deal was an expensive one. Paid 23 thousand for an unrestored 67 442 W-30. It was decent, ran well but a little worn, I wanted a driver. The more I looked into it the more I realized how rare it was. I went through all the paperwork and found the original owner's name in Bremerton Washington, googled him and found a phone #, called for several days, no answer so I left my name and number. The guy calls me back and says hell yes he remebers the car, bought it off the lot april of 67 and went drag racing. He sent me the pic below. I asked him if he had any other stuff on the car and he said he thought so but wouldn't be home for a couple of months as he did trade shows. he calls me in Dec 07 and says he sending me a package. He sent both original window stickers, drag tickets and some other pics. I then decided the car should go to someone who would preserve it so I stuck it on Ebay with a 28k reserve. Hits reserve the first day. Turns out to be one of about 5 automatics left and the most documented and retained all it's original parts. After a long 7 days it sold for 58 thousand, most money I've ever made on a car.

Attached Files:

• 442.jpg
      442.jpg
      File size:
      86.6 KB
      Views:
  29. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

In the late 80's I owned a 76 cutlass as a driver. It was lowered with centerlines. I put it up forsale for 1200. Over the course of the next two years I take a deposit from three different guy's, 300, 250 and 275. Same story with all three, when it comes time to pay up they are gone. Two of the guys had move out of state, the other his relatives didn't know where he went. 3 years after deciding to sell it, I sell the wheels and tires for 250 and the car for 1300. I did ok...

30. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Gotta a 68 road runner ,in high school ( it ran ) off an Old Farmer for a case of beer ( I got him 2 just cause )