Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What was the craziest car deal you made?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyhood, Jan 6, 2010.

1. In the early 80's I bought a '71 Charger RT w/ factory Ram Air at a barn sale for $75. No engine or trans but decent orig. paint and interior. I left with a buddy to go get a car trailer and when I got back someone offered me $600 for it, so I sold it. Didn't even have to move it. I thought I was doing good at the time.

2. Frank

Frank

Traded a goat for an old Honda motorcycle...it wasn't even my goat.

3. markjenks

markjenks

Bought a 1976 Nova 4 door for $200. Had to pay an extra $25 for the tires that were on it.. Drove it FOREVER and finally blew up the motor at 196k.

4. markjenks

markjenks

Not my story, but a good friend of mine bought a 76 Chevy Camaro from a guy for $150. Had a Corvette 350 in it and a 4 speed. Said the motor was seized. He tries to turn over the motor and it won't budge, but it does move in reverse.

Goes home, get his tools and pulls the inspection cover, all while still sitting in his yard. Seems the flywheel cracked and wedged in the starter. Goes and get a new flywheel, remember, it's still sitting in his yard, put it in, starts it up and drives it away.

Guy was pissed! But it was a done deal.

5. gr855

gr855

Worked one summer for a farmer for 1963 chevy ss

6. JimSwann

JimSwann

While living in Texas I traded my 1969 H.D. Sportster for a very solid non running 1953 Ford Pickup. I also got a small handfull of cash to boot. The non running original 272 in the truck turned out to be a non original, great running 312. Only required basic tune up parts to get it running well. The guy also threw in a 3x2 intake and carbs. After I got the interior and shag carpet out I found an Inox "bananna" knife, a few condoms and $3.00 in silver coins. I also found that the body was nearly rust free and had very little bondo in it. Loved that truck, and drove the wheels off of it. I sold the truck years later but kept the knife and the coins. Hate Sportsters to this day, but still love the old Fords.

7. younggun13

younggun13

mint hahaha made me start laughin

8. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Traded 2-3 hours of work(plumbing) for a mint cond. 1948 chevy pickup cab with solid doors and title

9. burnout2614

burnout2614

I have lived on the same street since 1971. I am 8 when we move there and on the end of street sits a 49 ford trk flat v8. not running. In 77 people move 4 blocks away, I watch them rope the truck up the street. 1982 I am 19, buy the trk for 150, still not running. rope it BACK to my house.Inst batt,filed points and cranked it on THE SAME GAS IN THE TANK! trans had a hole in the side, replaced it, drove it til 84, traded for a 55 chev 2dr. Drove 55 2 yrs, sold it, bought it back 1 yr later, 1987. The same yr that I bought the house at the end of the street!

10. rustnpz

rustnpz

Bought a 57 210 hardtop for less then $2000.00 I'll have it on the road for less then $3000.00

Attached Files:

11. Donny D. Ville

Donny D. Ville

1.Customer came into my work and asked if anyone was into older cars, he needed to get rid of one. 1964 Pontiac Tempest 2dr 6cyl/3 on the tree. I did a basic tune up and drove it for a year as my daily- price FREE Sold-$1800

2.The kid I sold my 54 Chevy to needed to get rid of it, he also wanted his 06 Charger "murdered out" and his brothers truck 2 toned. It took 2 weeks (a few hours a day) to do the body work he wanted and spray it Satin Black, brothers truck took 1 week. Total cost involved $120-Rustoleum Satin and Acetone, and I finally got my 54 back!!!

12. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

You didn't used to live in Placerville, CA did you?

I knew a guy named Joe who traded a very nice GTO dead even for a very tired Honda MT250 just because he really wanted to go riding with us. This was around 1979.

Originally he had a p.o.s baby blue 65 mustang with the 'classic' warrior chick riding tigers mural airbrushed on the hood that we always made fun of, and then somehow managed to trade that and some cash for the GTO which was just an outstanding looking car. We thought maybe he wasn't as stupid as we had thought. Then he traded the GTO for the bike and proved us wrong. He worked at a gas station and every time someone came in riding a bike, he asked them if they wanted to trade for the car. So of course the guy with the Honda took him up on it.
    Dead even.
    No shit.

13. jalopyjohn

jalopyjohn
    from tn

In 1973 I bought a 55 ford 1/2 ton shorty for $500,I drove it to mich. the next day.The day after I sold it for $3500.It was all original with a V8

14. Was taking a leisurely drive in my 57 Pontiac in NOrthern Oregon when I pass a house with a cherry-pie 55 Pontiac hardtop parked in the weeds....I stopped to inquire and was told the car was his mother's car.."Blew up" out on the hiway. Said I could have it for free but he wanted to keep his wheels and new tires. I busted ass back to town for 4 wheels with rag tires and got the title...all free!
    I dragged the car off the guys property on the side of the hiway and yanked both valve covers to find 2 busted rockers on one bank and another one on the other bank...had my buddy drive me 8 miles up the road to a junk yard where I scored 3 used rockers. Bolted it all up and fired the 287 right up...even had a full tank of gas. I waved to the guy as I drove it off. I kept it a long time, selling it to my dad who also drove it forever...

Attached Files:

15. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

I paid a hundred bucks for this early 34 ford 5 window.:)

Attached Files:

16. Four legged or four wheeled ? Peace,,, Moosie :)

17. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

traded my cars, soul, and spirit for a wife and 2 kids and an ass load of debt!!!!!!! OH wait.....thats not the way this thread was headin........disregaurd my last transmission.......:p
    got a 70 amx for free!!!!!!! cause it was pops car...bought new in oct of 69! not my fault, but thats as close as i can get to crazy car deal cause im more of a buy high sell low kinna dork it seems>..........

18. rixrex

rixrex

A few years ago a buddy of mine was reading a three year old Hemmings and saw a pretty good deal on a dual sidemount 1936 Cadillac..We wondered if they still had it and called..Yes, they still had it and were desparate to get it off the property as it had been sold and said if we came and removed the car they would give it to us..So, off we went to Kansas, gave them a couple hundred dollars and hauled off a nice Cadillac..

19. selohssa

selohssa

In 1995 I got a 76 Nova SS for free from a buddy when we got it stuck on a snowbank. He had bought it for $200 and we tried launching it Dukes of Hazzard style over a 8 foot tall snowbank and into an abandoned building. It slowed down so fast going up the snowbank that it just stopped on top. All four wheels were in the air. The snowbank was partially on City property so a cop climed all the way up there to put the orange "abandoned vehicle" sticker on the window. This was all by the shop that I worked at. The next day a guy walks into the shop and asked about the car on the hill. I told him $75 and I get to keep the emblems. I still have those emblems today. We had a lot of fun at that shop but there is a brand new Home Depot there now.

20. uglydog56

uglydog56

Going the other way, I bought an 86 audi coupe for $100 that "didn't stop, didn't charge, and didn't start." I bled the brakes, put the bolt back in the alternator bracket and tightened it, and replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch and traded it for a springfield xd 40 with lockbox and 5 clips.

21. Frank

Frank

4 legged kind. Some people left a rent house with a bunch of junk in the yard in my neighborhood. I was only about 14 at the time but wanted something ANYTHING to get me around. I saw this old motorcycle and thought maybe I could get it running. So I ask the new renter, a hispanic lady hanging up clothes if I could have it. She also had a goat tied to a tree nearby. She said if I could find a home for the goat, I could have the motorcycle. She said they were going to make tacos but, I guess she didn't want to see him slaughtered. So here I am leading this goat over to a house a few blocks over that always had goats. I told them the deal I made and they happily took the goat. The bike ended up being junk and I sold it for scrap. Had I had any sense at the time, I would have tried to make some money off the goat or kept him. :)

22. Al Von

Al Von

In '07, I guy from church, knowing I'm a scrapper, dropped off his '86 Grand Marquis [one owner, 150K] after the A/C compressor froze & launched the belt. He was "DONE!" with the car, so I gave him $100. Two hours later, I sold the car for $500 after I swapped the compressor & belt from another junk Marquis I had in the driveway.

In 1990, my brother called from the Honda dealer he sold for and said "we got one of those 4-door Mustangs you like, come & get it for $1995--the boss says 'today only'. Tomorrow the price goes to $2995." I had been looking for an '84-'85 Ford LTD LX [the Fox-bodied LTD with the 5.0 HO] but I didnt have the cash, so I put the 55k-mile, no rust car on my VISA. The dealership got paid, but the charge NEVER showed up on my bill!! I drove that car for 5 years, sold it, got it back, wrecked, for $200. Put a '79 Mustang pace car front clip on it, shorty headers, etc. It finally rusted away in 2000, but I would still be driving it if I had owned a MIG welder then...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  23. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Everyone thought I was crazy trading my 97 Yukon for my 66 Newport. Most changed their mind when they saw the Newport.

24. mx6262

mx6262

Got to be the the best one I've herd== yet!!!!:eek::eek:

I would love to see the the washing maching..:p

25. Wildcat Garage

Wildcat Garage
    from Marion,NC

In the 70's I had a shop and delivered a Corvette for a customer about 100 miles away.The guy that I delivered the Corvette to had a 58 Chevy convertible in the back yard that he wanted rid of.We loaded the 348 tri power in the trunk and rolled it on my trailer.

I stopped by a friends shop on the way home and he just flipped out over the car.I sold it to him for a crisp $100 bill.

Oh,well!

26. Wildcat Garage

Wildcat Garage
    from Marion,NC

Just thought about another car that I thought I would never sell.
    Malcolm Durhams 64-65 Chevelle altered wheel base race car.It sat beside my shop forever.I was so happy when I traded it off.

27. KaiserKruiser

KaiserKruiser

I have a buddy that needed a place to store some of his cars because he lost his house. I told him he could store them at my place and i got a 62 caddy out of the deal. It needed a tranny and still needs a windshield and paint job but it runs like a champ.

28. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Bought a 1973 Pantera for 10k and sold it for 20k 6 months later. I wish I still had this car!

29. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

2 weeks ago . I got a 1963 pontiac Catalina 4 dr for $200. A complete car with a little rust nice interior.got complete rebuild kit for the front end ball joint tierods bushings, new disc brake conversion . new power booster and master cylinder, new front shocks, 4 new radials, no rust in the trunk. the only thing I had to do was have new bushings put back in the drivers side .
    he started to tear the suspension apart to put on the disc brake kit decided to rebuild the front suspension. then things went bad for him lost his job and ended up losing his house too the house he was moving to wasnt that big so he had to get rid of the car.
    I found the car here on the classified and it finally was listed for free . it ended up only being 10 minutes from my houseI went over to look at it and found it to be a REALLY nice car I paid him $ 200 .

Attached Files:

30. roughneck424

roughneck424

Saw this on Craigslist today...

Want to trade Fox fur coat for '50s chevy truck. Need not be restored just running without a ton of rust. email for pictures of coat. Thanks<!-- START CLTAGS -->