Register now to get rid of these ads!

when was the first four barrel carb introduced

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sun down, Jul 1, 2009.

1. sun down

sun down
    from tx

someone asked me this the other day, I had no idea and after looking it up
    I was sort of surprised.... any idea without doing a search and even my search may have been wrong but I will go with it...

just trying to up my post count a little...lol

2. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

WCFB "Will Carter Four Barrel" i'm not 100% positive on the year, but my '58 Studebaker came with one stock. I'm sure they were out before '58 though...

EDIT: come to think of it... wasn't '52 the first year for the four barrel... it was still a WCFB... and '57 they came out with the Carter AFB "Aluminum Four Barrel"?

3. Not sure myself but I have a '52 Packard in the shop with one.

4. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I have no clue if this is correct, but I read it was a Holley "toilet bowl" in late '54 or '55.

5. Phil1934

Phil1934

The Stromberg 4A Aeroquad was produced from 1952-1954 and was Stromberg's only four barrel carburetor. It was used on Buick engines (that Olds and Cadillac borrowed for 1952, to Buick's displeasure).The 4A was probably the first four barrel carburetor, appearing shortly before the Carter WCFB . Here's an old thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3751329

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  6. ROCKET88COUPE

ROCKET88COUPE
    from TEXAS USA

buick didnt v-8 till mid 53,olds and caddy put one on in 52 called a 4GC they were rodchesters,wcfb also came out on caddys and olds models in 52 believe packard also had a 4 holer in 52

7. Haystack Holley 4bbl in '54 for Ford, maybe earlier? I think Lincoln had them in '52 or '53.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  8. 51-52 Buick Roadmaster, there is a 4bbl intake for the big straight eight.

I'd bet you can find one older though if you dig.

9. sun down

sun down
    from tx

looks like I might need to do more research but according to what I found it was the 55 ford/ Merc..........which surprised me ..

10. skidsteer

skidsteer

Good question, never thought about that one before. (and, there's one more post for me.............)

11. sun down

sun down
    from tx

looks like my first idea was wrong..
    I found this from a Hemmings Motor article..

The biggest jump in horsepower could be found exclusively in the 1952 Roadmaster. The 320.2-cubic-inch engine with its 3.4375 x 4.3125 bore and stroke--unchanged since 1936--carried a four-barrel carburetor for the first, and only, time.

so we now have one for the Buick.. which is for sure prior to 55.

12. 31modelo

31modelo

Cadillac had a small base 4bbl WCFB just like the Buick and started in 52.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Here's an early oddity that never quite happened, presumably quashed to keep within budget: Look at pics for patent 2104178.

http://www.google.com/patents/about...inm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=

This is a very important patent, covering the dual plane manifold adopted by Ford in 1934 as a two barrel with the Stromberg.
    Note that the drawings call for a four barrel...vaguely drawn, apparently to be based on the big E Stromberg!
    Ford went with the familiar EE two barrel, and no four barrel actually appeared as far as I know in the thirties.
    This patent represents the birth of the modern manifold used henceforth on nearly all carbureted V engines...
    1952 saw the trio of new four barrels from Rochester, Stromberg, and Carter, but it seems Ford and Bhnalite were considering pushing towards one probably from Stromberg in the early thirties.

14. Sure looks like an early Offenhauser manifold Bruce. Do you suppose someone out in California got a copy of the drawings?

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Wouldn't surprise me...I knew Ford and Bohn aluminum collaborated on the 2 plane manifold, but I was shocked when I found the actual patent and saw the hypothetical four barrel! It even looks like the normal early fifties pattern dimensionally. I would assume suggesting such a non-existent carb probably involved some involvement at Stromberg with preliminary commitment to develop the hardware! Any carb company would have given at least a kidney and a lung to get the Ford contract, and of course Stromberg did supply Ford for the actual 2 barrel version.
    I think the Carb sorta shown there ls based on the Licoln Stromberg, which looked about thus. The manifold cured the roughness that had been a part of V8's since their inception before WWI.

16. carbking

carbking

This could be a tricky question, depending on if the criteria were "four barrel" or "four-venturi".

As far as I am aware, the first production four-BARREL automotive carburetors in the USA were 1952. This included alphabetically Carter (WCFB), Rochester (4-GC), and Stromberg (4-A). Holley followed in 1953 with the 2140.

As an aside, I have both the Carter and Stromberg prototype four-barrel carbs in my "museum".

If the criteria is "four venturi", a whole can of worms is opened; as there were a number of multi-venturi one-barrel carbs produced back in the 1930's (and possibly earlier).

Jon.

17. carbking

carbking

Bruce - I have seen the patent before. Just for grins, I did a search on the Stromberg experimental files. I checked from July 1 1933 through July 1 1934, and there is no record of Stromberg having built a prototype four-barrel.

My take on the manifold was (and is) someone had done their homework based on the Seldon patent (no intent to produce, just want to collect royalties if someone does produce). Just my opinion, others will differ.

Jon.

18. Dan1955

Dan1955

Chevrolet had a WCFB in 1955.

19. Squablow

Squablow

Me and my Dad are putting together a '52 Buick Roadmaster right now, and it has the 4 barrel Stromberg Aeroquad. I'm fairly certain it's the first use of a 4 barrel by GM, not sure about industry-wide.

20. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

4bbl carbs more or less synched up with the introduction of overhead valve V8s and ended up with a staggered rollout across manufacturers.

21. hudsy-wudsy

hudsy-wudsy
    from MN

The first four barrel that came on a standard American made production car was the Stromberg 4A which came on the '52 Buick Roadmaster (70 series). Buick was also the first manufacturer to offer hydraulic lifters ( '37? ).

22. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

As did Desoto on the Fireflite 291 v8. Maybe even earlier on a Chrysler.

23. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

The Stromberg 4A Aeroquad was produced from 1952-1954 and was Stromberg's only four barrel carburetor. It was used exclusively on Buick V-8 engines. The 4A was probably the first four barrel carburetor, appearing shortly before the Carter WCFB

24. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I heard that the guy that engineered the 2 carb setup on the 1941 Buicks was responsible for the 4 barrel design. Whether thats true or not the 4 bbl looked just like a pair of Strombergs siamesed together, same for the Carters.

25. k9racer

k9racer

WW 2 aircraft had them before being retrofitted with fuel injection. I think a allison in the early p51 had 4 4barrells,, Its been a long long time so its hard to rember all the info,,

26. Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave
    Member Emeritus

Cadillac had its first 4 barrel (Carter and/or Rochester) as did Buick and Oldsmobile in 1952
    Packard, in 1953 straight eight, V-8 in 55
    Nash and Hudson used Packard's V-8 with 4 barrel
    Lincoln and Mercury, 1954
    Ford, Chevrolet, Pontiac, DeSoto, Plymouth, Studebaker, 1955
    Chrysler, Dodge, 1954

Have I bored you yet?
    GM made a bid deal over the four barrel in the Cadillac. It was Caddy's 50th anniversary. First year for dual exhausts and optional power steering.

Dr. Dave

27. Truckedup

Truckedup

The two most commonly used new four barrels today,the Holley 4150-4160 and the Edelbrock clone of the Carter AFB first appeared around 1957 or so.

28. The Allisons that I have seen have a BIG two barrel on the back before the supercharger, they have venturis but no float bowl as far as I know for inverted flight.

29. joewit

joewit
    from Delaware

I know olds used the 4gc from rochester by '53 but maybe even before that.

30. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Will have to check...I have an early one, I think I identified it as '52 Olds in the Rochester manual.