Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Smoking Deuce 5/W deal on craigslist, or, "It was time for me to be the bug !"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well, (something to share with my HAMB pal's)

It's like they say, sometimes your the windshield, and sometimes your the bug !,..
    It was time for me to be the bug yesterday, I can't complain, I have been the windshield more than my share of time. this just wasn't meant to be.

Heres the story,...
    Sunday night I cant sleep because of shoulder pain, so I jump on the puter and scope out craigslist,... fresh ad reads, "1932 Ford 5 window coupe body, metal, 4K :eek:,...... I blast off a email right away and never herd back until Monday evening,.. He was busy that night but Tuesday would be O.K. after 4:15 P.M. then he said "Thats what I told the other guy" ,...:( what other guy ? "the guy that responded first to the ad,.. I just got off the phone with him"

Well I made a mad dash down (170 miles) to try to get there, I get a call from the owner (when I am about 30 miles out) and it seems that in his first conversation with this other guy, he promised him first right of refusal because he had to drive so far (65 miles :rolleyes:),..... well needless to say I pull in right after this other guy and in less than a minute he reaches for the money,.... I couldn't blame him.

I stuck around taking a couple pictures and talking, even helped them load it on the other guys trailer,..... they were both good guys, and it was nice to meet a man of his word,( even tho the "1st. right of refusal" information would have been really helpful 3 hours earlier ) either way it was a fun adventure. :)

The Deuce coupe itself needed all the patch panels, the frame was junk, it had a chrome front suspension,..... but this body was really, really a good piece,..... congratulations to the new owner.

( This ought to make "JUSJUNK" grin,... cause he gets a little agitated when I hit a Home Run :D )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Uptown83

Uptown83

Neat story, sad to hear you didnt get it.

3. McFly

McFly

bummer...I wish I could find $4000 32's in California. Thanks for sharing....cool story.

4. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Oh man, what a bummer!

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Holy shit!!! Awesome!

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

I think they are as rare as chicken lips all over the country,.... chances of finding another one in this condition for this kind of money is astronomical at best.

7. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Sorry you missed that one. We need some more 5Ws around here!

8. Damn, I hate it when that happens!! Sorry you missed it. It is nice to know their are guys that still keep their word though. Did you ask the seller if he knew of any more? And keep in contact with the new owner just in case he changes his mind down the road. You never know. This is further proof they are still out there! It looks like one I bought out of Roseville, Mich. (a Detroit suburb) back in 2001 for about the same money. It was poorly chopped and channeled (no subrails) but generally pretty salvagable. I traded it off but I should have kept it.

9. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

man 4000 shit what a deal,,, well good story..

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wait, I must have rushed through the thread. So you did not get it. That sucks but awesome that the offer was there and they are still out there.

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Way I see it, the other guy got a nice 5w on his trailer.
    You had fun and have a great outlook on things.

You win

12. BJR

BJR

Since everyone says this was such a deal, what is the real value of a body like this?

13. Racrdad

Racrdad

Too bad you didnt get it but props on your good attitude and helping the other guy load it up. Some people would have just been mad and left but you showed you are a true car guy to the core.

14. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

Harms Way: When I saw that ad I actually figured you would end up with it because I saw your 35 and 36 coupes listed on there for sale, so I figured you probably checked craigslist...

I emailed about the 32 coupe, but the guy never emailed me back....

The ad has already been deleted...but here's a pic for those who didn't see it... that's a crazy good deal.

[​IMG]

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

16. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

COOL ...

Almost every 32 Ford I go to look at turns out to be a Model A or something else ... :(

Except one time when I went to buy a Model A and it turned out to be a DEUCE !! :D

Had a fellow call me trying to sell a Model A coupe. Old project/Olds engine ... chopped and channeled. I am to tall and too overweight for a choped, channeled Model A coupe so I pass. He did say it had a very nice 32 grille shell. He calls again a time or two always with a reduced price. Poor guy was going thru a DIVORCE. He finally calls and lowers the price so drastic I HAD TO go see it. It was a 1 day ... car has to be gone by midnight kind of deal. The price quoted was so low ... the nice grille shell was worth more.

It was a 32 5W Ford coupe ... not chopped but was dropped over the rails. I got it for what the grille shell was worth and this was years ago when they were fairly cheap. :eek: :eek:

17. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

man that sucks. I was hoping for it being a Chevy or a Model A.... at the very least you have an entertaining story and met some cool people.

18. $10-12K depending on what parts come with it. Double it for a complete car.

19. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Bummer. What a deal, I've looked at much worse for much more.

20. S.F.

S.F.

nice body, looks like it used to be a channeled hot rod in the 50's

21. great story man , shame you missed her by that much!!

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yep,. i covered all the bases,.... and this car was only about 20 miles from Roseville,..... :)

23. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Great story, sorry about your loss !