Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Oh Canada...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 17, 2008.

1. tinmann

tinmann

Damn Canadians!!!!!

2. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I believe this car show (1959) was Promotions (ISCA) aka Bob Larivee's first car show ever. His company does the Cobo Hall Show (Ridler award) now.
    Does anyone have pictures of "Punk's Pickup"? A '23 T roadster. Was blue then candy orange. Painted by Gerstner in Buffalo.

3. wow i cant believe i missed this thread til now. those pictures of looks 27 are wicked to see. every time i see him i have to sit in or drool beside the thing. something about that car just gets me every time i see it. you dont have to be told its canadas "oldest most original hot rod" to know its old hahah. im sure jeff and anyone else whos seen it in person know what im talking about. thanks for sharing

keith

4. screwball

screwball

If any one gets a chance to talk to Jack Look hes a great guy and has alot of information. I spent a day at his place going through his stuff with my 10 year old at the time real good people. His wife was just as kind to my wife as the boys were out playing in the garages and basement.

5. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Wrong.....Back bacon............:D:cool:

6. 31whitey

31whitey

What...Norwell that truck is sweet.

Any clue of year build....

looks like a lot of similarities to HOYS HAULER.

Hows the truck man?

7. pastlane

pastlane

Holinski brother's built some very cool cars. They were also involved with building & running an Indy car in the 60's. They had a killer shop in the same building as the family AMC dealership.

8. Anyone who knows Lookie can tell a million stories about the 27. I've got some killer shots of his Wedding Deuce Roadster at our shop pulling a car trailer full of a Model A and piled with horse drawn carriages too! As Jack would say "Trick Shit".

9. theladylux

theladylux

Cool pics!!
    Looks like them Canadians were big on fenders....

Wonder if fellow Kanadian Tuck as seen this?

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

NEWS FLASH!

well,.maybe not
    my pall Martti just emailed these to me.... some B/W's.. from the armories show in 59.....

cool

Attached Files:

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Whitey....59 or 60 was the build on Ken's truck.Very similar to yours.

very similar indeed...but then again is was a true close knit community.....

12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Dude, those last pics....Canadian lost souls. I watch those Ghost Hunter shows, so I know what I'm talkin' about here.

Before I met Jeff, I thought Canadians were like folks from a parallel universe, similar but strangely OFF. Well, after knowing Norwell for some time, I can say this is definitely the case!

OOOX
    Jimmy

13. I met some of the Roadmates while visiting Toronto. A bunch of cool guys. A few were from the begining or close to the begining of their club. Their clubhouse is the ultimate clubhouse. It was sort of nice to hear the bickering after a few beers to show that they are no different than any other club!!!! LOL!!!!
    Also checked out Oddball customs and that was also a killer experience. All great guys up there.
    I heard about Jeff and wanted to catch up with him but ran out of time.

14. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I think that show in Hamilton, was Bob Larivee's first car show. He went on to do the Cobo Hall show.

15. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Does anyone have pictures of "Punk's Pickup"? A '23 T roadster. Was blue then candy orange. Painted by Gerstner in Buffalo.[/QUOTE]

You mean Johnny Greer's T from Hamilton? We used to go up there (from W.N.Y.) and visit the crazy guy. Yes, Gerstner painted the T the -as I remember it--the copper color (colour). Was it candy orange? :confused: Now I would like to see a picture of it. :D The T body came from around Utica, NY and was purchased from Hessy Armstrong for around $25--a friend just told me this. I don't have pictures but another friend might. He was in the ISCA circuit with a custom Ford pickup, I'll get in touch with him and see if he has pictures of the T. I remember Johnny at the '72 Detroit NSRA Nats driving around in his Brinks Express.:)

16. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

In 1971 a group of rodders from The Rods of Western New York drove up to Oshawa, Ontario to be part of the Motor City Car Club's event. One of our group knew a few guys from there because he had been in the ISCA circuit with a '58 Ford named "Perfidia"--built by the Alexander Brothers. Anyway, I got to meet alot of great people that day and had alot of fun. I drove my '48 Morris Van to the event. Attached (I hope) is a letter from the club thanking us.

Attached Files:

17. Other than what I wrote, Canadians are all just a bunch of Assholes just like us.!!
    Wait a minute, I have dual citizenship.
    I'm thinking if I get my Mexican citizenship, I'll be good to go. Then I really could be North American.

18. 31whitey

31whitey

Ya I figured back then most of the guys local must have known or heard about each others stuff....those ribbed stacks and roll pan are killer...

Talked to MRS. HOY the other nite and finally emailed all the pics of HOYS HAULER....they were stoked...

man...It would be cool to do a history on this time....alot of show builds...a book or somethin.