Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM Steering wheel spline size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Sep 11, 2008.

1. This was posted in an off-topic(67-72 Chevy Trucks) forum, but the question is fairly universal.
    "I am putting a 74 pickup tilt column into my 59. I have come across a 40's banjo steering wheel I think would look pretty cool. Does anyone know if the splines are the same?? Or are adaptors available?? Thanks in advance."

2. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know about the 40s, but 50s up to 80s use the same spline, although there are differences in bearings, horn contacts, turn signal switches etc that would make it kind of challenging to make a banjo wheel fit right on a tilt column. And it would look really out of place.

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Someone told me 1937 -ish...

4. squirrel

squirrel

I would not be surprised if they were the same spline back to the 1930s.

5. zbuickman

zbuickman

Thats what I heard as well.... The outer diameter of the column is going to be way larger than the diameter of the base of the wheel though:(

6. I agree. Some of the truck guys are pretty street-roddy; large diameter wheels, etc. etc. But I figured I'd try to help out, they are always willing to.