Register now to get rid of these ads!

MAYDAY MAYDAY Banger Meet in is progress...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, May 1, 2008.

1. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Banger hill climb, in Addison Texas June 22nd. Classes for all vintage bangers. Come and compete or just spectate. Contact [email protected]

2. Hello fella's! Ive got a '31 Closed cab p/u converted (bastardized) to a roadster. A friend and I built up what I assumed was a Model A engine for it last fall. It is what I beleive is referred to as a Diamond Block - it has a small raised diamond on the block just above and behind the timing cover. I've noticed a few differences in this block compaired to my old one. Can anyone point me in the right direction to some info or threads on this style of block? Thanks. Luke

3. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Diamond blocks were replacement engines, produced until the late '30's if not later. Jay Steel (banger guru) at Taylor Engine reckons the best block to start with if building a tough banger is an A diamond. There were also B diamonds.
    The casting is stronger around the rear main and have hardened valve seats already installed amongst other things.

Got an A diamond myself. Good engine.

4. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Got my engine back finally. Had real trouble finding a set of rings because it's 30 thou over, but it did mean that the bores were good so it only needed a hone and rings to make good again rather than new pistons at great expense.

Seems everyone has stopped doing white metalling as well :confused: because my man couldn't get the rods done. He stripped down 4 engines and found a bottom end that looked like it hadn't gone far. Not as good as new but it'll do me fine.

Took a couple of flywheels round to the post office. Stock one weighs 5.7Kg/12.5lbs and my lightened one weighs 4.9Kg/10.8lbs. Not in the realms of an aluminium flywheel but a damn sight better value at £25 mate rate!

5. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I like it....:D:D:D

6. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I'm like Bill, I haven't used H&H but I have used Taylor Engine and can't fault them. Jay built me a fantastic engine and try as I might I haven't broken it yet. I went there on a recommendation from Limeworks who use him all the time for all kinds of engines. You've gotta remember I live something like 6000 miles from Whittier and I'd recommend anyone to travel that far for a service as good as Jay provided me!

7. Went drag racing today. I managed to get 4 runs in as can be seen in the vids that follow!

Still chasing that 15 second ticket! Check out the e/t for the last vid.....

AAAAAHHHHH, so close!!

16.39@81mph.

[email protected].

16.15@81mph.
    Check out the jump on the Camaro!

16.06@82mph!!
    Flicked the fan belt off for the last run.

8. Paul Y

Paul Y

Clark,

Nice to meet you today.

Have to say that I was surprised how quick your car is off the line, I take it you will be putting in a return appearance for the 8th June meet in your quest for a 15??

P.

9. Traffic Violator

Traffic Violator
    from Bangerland

Enbloc - Is that the North Weald strip?? been several years since I went there!

Vince

10. Ebloc, Is that the engine with the Lion head? Congratulations on that 16.06 82!

11. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

16.15@81mph.
    Check out the jump on the Camaro!:):):):):)

12. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Good times, Clark. Very good. Just got to make sure it gets to the reliability run now :D

Hey, Corn Coupe, I was at Drayton Manor today in the touring and saw your sport coupe. Very cool. Love the uppies. Looks like a real neat set-up.

13. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Hey, Corn Coupe, I was at Drayton Manor today in the touring and saw your sport coupe. Very cool. Love the uppies. Looks like a real neat set-up.[/quote]

Thanks - never saw the touring, must keep my eyes open more.

14. Traffic Violator

Traffic Violator
    from Bangerland

Been a good weekend for me - got a parcel from Mac's on Saturday and have now fitted a whole new electrickery system from the battery up and a converter plate thingy with points and condenser up under the modern style cap and leads. Timed it via the pin like the book says and its running like clockwork - at last!

Still getting a weep from the fuel shut off inside and from the carb itself so some gasketry is called for - and the speedo cable snapped after about 40 foot of travel!

Onwards and upwards!

Soon be cruising in the sun... got a drag meet to attend near Paris soon too - I cant turn up in a daily euro-box to that!

15. brawler500

brawler500
    from Roxbury NJ

Put together a simple Speedster to have fun with this summer. Got it finished up enough last night to take it on a spin around the neighborhood. My kid's think its cool.

David

Attached Files:

16. Paul Y

Paul Y

Sure is. Weather was fantastic today, makes a change!

P.:D

17. Thanks Artiki, It definitely looks like a stouter block than a standard A - thicker castings and much larger oil tubes to the mains. Being a replacement engine may also explain why it was still standard bore when I got it. I took it out .040 and turned the crank to .020 under, new rods, pistons, did the valves and seats and installed a set of adjustable tappets. I was running a cheap aftermarket (Sears/Montgomery Wards) white metal carb, and I moved up to a Zenith B 2 weeks ago.

Hey brawler500, be careful, those speedster projects can turn into a full blown car if you're not careful, mine did.

18. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I was only there for an hour, between 12 & 1pm. Not my favourite show, to be honest, but is the most local. Seeing a row of 10 PT Cruisers reminds me why I don't go very often....

19. Always good to put faces to names!

I think a proper track is going to be my best chance of that 15.

Yep, North Weald. Not as many RWYB as there used to be.

Thanks.

No Lion Head. That got swapped for a Winfield a long time ago.

[​IMG]

20. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

21. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

' was way out back then enjoying a picnic away from it all.

Agree, totally, don't get me started on the difference between a kit car and .....................

But, I did manage to stop most of the day - and yep it is local. Looking forward to the 23rd, everything crossed

22. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

What time you setting off?

23. Artiki, I am curious as to what Dent did to you!!

24. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Ah....the quote "You're a jerk, Dent" come from the book 'Life, The Universe and Everthing', part of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams.
    There is a character therein named Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged, who discovers the secret of eternal life only to get bored with it after a few million years. So to relieve the boredom, he resolves to insult everybody in the universe, in alphabetical order. The above line is the first thing he says when he encounters the hero of the Hitchhiker's books, Arthur Dent.

Always makes me laugh.

25. Elrod

Elrod

I groan at myself that I knew what the quote was from... :eek:

26. noboD

noboD

That's from the country that invented Bennie Hill!! Long live Bennie.

27. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

Help

Does any one know of an engine front mount conversion from Model A to B for my 1928 truck.

Current two bolts in the cross member is the original

But with the B motor does not line up with the mounting holes

Or do I just drill some more holes ?

Thanks

28. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Mel!
    That's great! Looks awesome!!

Is that going in the roadster behind the engine?? I remember you telling me via a PM,..I can't recall though.

29. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

HA,..that's awesome!!
    Do you have a dad who has a model A by chance? You look like a fellow i met last year at a car show who was with his father....

Great little ride ya got there!!!