Register now to get rid of these ads!

MAYDAY MAYDAY Banger Meet in is progress...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, May 1, 2008.

1. Howza bout some pics? Sounds like something we would love to see:cool:

2. You have 2 or 3 choices for flywheels. The most common choice is to have your stock 65 Lb. flywheel lightened to 40 or 45 Lb. and modified to use the Ford 9" clutch. There are or were some Al. flywheels that were a direct replacement in the 20 lb. range. The more radical choice is the V8 flathead flywheel, which will bolt on with no modification, the stock steel or an aftermarket Al. flywheel The aftermarket Al. flywheels are getting pricey. The one on my 2 port I bought at a swap meet for $75 it weighs 12.5 lb.. The problem with the V8 flywheel is that you must convert your starter from the stock inboard drive to an outboard drive In board engages the ring gear with a pushing action from the starter, the out board drive is pulled into the ring gear and must use a Bendix spring wound in the opposite direction from the stock one. This also requires a bearing or support on the outer end of the starter shaft or the shaft will bend. Ask me how I know. There are more modifications to the starter but it is actually not a difficult project.

3. Bill, how would you change the starter to work with a V8 flywheel? Can you use the bendix off a V8 starter??

4. Nope - effectively you reverse the original I believe. Anyone seen or tried these?

[​IMG]
    http://www.model-a-autoparts.co.nz/information.php

5. Elrod

Elrod

I'm running these on all my Model A's. They work great on the stockers, but noticed that the higher compression puts more load on it.

At the Lonestar Round Up, I went to start my coupe and heard a god aweful noise. I thought I ripped the teeth off my ring gear. Tried starting a few more times and realized that my starter was just spinning. I now thought that I sheered the woodruff key on the starter shaft.

Pulled the starter to find that the "unbreakable" starter drive pictured below had come apart. The outter barrel is held on by a snap ring. Luckily all parts were still on the starter shaft. I stretched the snap ring a little wider so that it would have more springy-ness to it and put it back together. Working great again.

I'm happy with them and glad I've upgraded. Just a heads up on my experience though.

6. Yes, I had one until I went over to a V8 flywheel.
    I went over to one as I kept breaking bendix drives.

There original fitment was on Caterpillar diesels or something else heavy duty like that. Someone discovered they worked on Model 'A's and as you can imagine they were indestructible!

But..... As they become popular the Model A suppliers tagged onto them and surprise, surprise started having them made in Taiwan. Now there just as crap as the repro Bendix drives.

100% fit one, but make sure your getting the real deal.

There's hundreds of postings about these on the 'A' boards. I think the man to talk to is "Gord By The Bay" as he sells the good ones?

7. Pierre H

Pierre H
    from france

Hello,
    I found one last month too... and didn't know what it was when I took it -shame on me-
    May is a good month to start, birds are singing and skirts are shrinking, so I strip my engine, start to check inserts, pistons, rods.. everything seems fine. I make the diagram of the cam, pretty depressing and asthmatic... next step, the block will have a bath.
    I drop the Cragar head on it, just to see what's look my new coffee table .. still some job to do on it ..
    I've read that it's a good idea to switch the pressure plate by the 9 inch first V8 one ? I've found a 9-1/2" Y bloc pressure plate, do you think it will fit on my flywheel ???

Attached Files:

8. Will the 9" pressure plate and disc work with no mods on a A flywheel? My engine has been balanced as well (had flywheel lightened), will adding a different pressure plate/disc interfear with the balancing??

9. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I've had one of those barrel drives for two or three years, Phil. No problems here....

10. :)o. k., bare with me, I'm still trying to figure out this website. The only photos I've been able to post are thumbs, so here's some.
    "Dawg":confused:

Attached Files:

11. You will have to have the flywheel modified, the lip has to be removed and 9" bolt pattern drilled and tapped. I would have the new pressure plate balanced to the flywheel. Some people figure that a dead zero balance on the flywheel/ pressure plate is enough. The disc is not normally included in the balance. The V8 9" clutch assembly is lighter than the "A"'B" clutch

12. Thanks Bill for the replies :)

13. 4bangerNick

4bangerNick

I know some guys with mitchells on full fendered cars whicha are expensive, plus ya can't really see them,... thank God.they look like a Play station 2's under your car!

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Phil - I'm running the barrel drive on my 12-volt converted V8 - so far, no issues after a year of use. Really like it.

15. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Here's mine. Had it about a year. H and H of coarse. Much like Crazydaddio's. #17 ardun "FRICK" head, etc. Should go in my Tudor this month. Nice pic in GG gazette by the way Crazy! :) B

Attached Files:

16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Nice engine!!!!

I can't take credit for The pics. Kirk is the one that makes it all happen.

17. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

One more, now that I can do it. Ardun "A" With ALL the goodies. B

Attached Files:

18. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Some body stop me! Thanks!

Attached Files:

19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

9",
    I wish I could bring my toys inside the house too!!!!

20. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Well, The truth be told... She say's,"Do you remember what you paid for that THING? and all that polishing? Huh? Do You? Remember? Bring it inside!". Yes Dear, Whatever! I got her right where I want her.:D So, how many of us are there now? Must be a bunch. Its catchin on again. B

Attached Files:

21. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

A fine looking engine, Nine Inch. Always got a good word for the guys at H & H.

22. Joe Mac once built a 29 RPU in his den from pieces he had scrounged. The den had french doors. Actually more like an indoor patio. He also converted a bedroom into an early Ford parts room. In case you didn't know Joe started what was probably the original Ford Parts Obsolete.
    After he retired to Corona you could call him for a rebuilt early V8 trans or rear end and pick it up next day.

23. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Thank you! Yes, they were very helpful with my needs. Got to know them before we had a plan, and they are great guys, know their stuff, and are great to do business with. I am very happy with the outcome. It should be a Monster. They will do a Scot blown Ardun flatty for my next project. I wouldn't go anywhere else. H and H has earned my trust for sure! B

24. I just came back online and was looking to ask about your views on H&H or Taylor engine?
    Thinking about getting a motor built.
    Looking forward to your advice.

25. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I've bought stuff from both H & H and Taylor and can't fault either for their service or their parts. The Wrong-Un on here has a banger built by Taylor and it's a screamer....

26. Florian

Florian

awesome topic!
    i love the spirit of the very early style hot rods :cool:

27. I have had 4 engines done by Taylors over a 10 year period and haven't had a problem with his work. I can't say anything about H&H as I have no experience with them. My only problem with Jay Steele ( Taylor Engines ) is that he drove my car at the last 66 hillclimb and he went too fast and the others couldn't stand the competition so they kicked me out of the speedster class and now I have to run with the sprint cars. I guess 2 ports are not supposed to run as fast as pro built 4 ports. We started the day as a "T" speedster but when the results were printed we were in the Historical class. Taylor engine did the machine work on the 2 port engine.

28. Little late... but oh well. Still lots of work left...

Arttiki, that rules...

Attached Files: